Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: First Time Wisconsin Fly Angler Looking For Advise!

Hi Collin and welcome to a great forum. All the advise concerning a good fly shop, casting lessons and a guided trip to start out with are sound. If you are planning on fishing through the winter months stock up on Zebra Midge nymphs and Prince nymphs for trout to start out with and keep it simple. This time of year I fish 4X and lighter flouro tippets and you may want to pick up some small floats to use as strike indicators. Winter fishing is fun and rewarding.

Good Luck!

Denny

UWO is less than an hour from the Wautoma area, lots of nice trout streams around there.

I grew up in Wisconsin and visit family not too far from Sussex every summer. When I'm there I fish the Miwaukee River for Smallmouth.

3. Default Re: First Time Wisconsin Fly Angler Looking For Advise!

Woolly buggers. Pretty much any fish will eat those.

4. Likes jangles liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    You are in the area of the CWTU

Central Wisconsin Chapter of Trout Unlimited

They will hold Troutfest on Feb. 23, 2019 at Fin 'n Feathers in Winneconne. Admission is free. I will probably be there.

Central Wisconsin Chapter of Trout Unlimited - TroutFest

Google Maps
    Collintuchalski: Welcome to the forum! Silver has offered excellent advice on joining in with the CWTU! One of the best ways to learn to fly fish is to find a mentor that is willing to show you the ropes. If you look at their web site, they offer some great presentations that will also help you learn. Go to one of their meetings, introduce yourself and ask for help!
    Larry

6. Thanks silver creek thanked for this post
    Likes jangles liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Collintuchalski: Welcome to the forum! Silver has offered excellent advice on joining in with the CWTU! One of the best ways to learn to fly fish is to find a mentor that is willing to show you the ropes. If you look at their web site, they offer some great presentations that will also help you learn. Go to one of their meetings, introduce yourself and ask for help!
    If you go to the meetings, say hello to Bob Haase, fly tying author and one of the best fly tyers in Wi. He will be at Trout Fest for sure.

https://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Fly-Tyin.../dp/1483588246
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I'm not very familiar with the Oshkosh area, but there are several trout streams to the west near Wautoma, Wild Rose, etc. There are some of the same streams I fished while at Point.

The Driftless area will definitely accelerate your learning if you can make a trip or two over there. With more fish and good access, there more of a chance to learn where the fish live and how to get them to eat your fly.

I would imagine there are rivers with smallmouth or Pike around Oshkosh - get out and explore them to practice casting accurately and fighting and landing fish on a fly rod... It's different than spin fishing.

ryan

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

10. Default Re: First Time Wisconsin Fly Angler Looking For Advise!

Bass are easy and not leader shy.
    Option 1 = 3.5 30# + 1.5 20# + 1.5 tippet. I use 10 - 20# tippet,
    Option 2 = 6 of 20#. Tie on fly & fish.
    Both are easy and cheap and work great.
    Scott

Every Wisconsin Trout Angler should have this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Improved-Wate.../dp/0980219426

It has the access points and parking places for all the Wisconsin trout waters that have been improved by the DNR and TU. Todd Hanson was the editor of the Wisconsin TU State newspaper for many years. Make sure you get the second edition.

Example showing improved waters and county road access.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Quote Originally Posted by fossumsj View Post
    Bass are easy and not leader shy.
    Option 1 = 3.5’ 30# + 1.5’ 20# + 1.5’ tippet. I use 10 - 20# tippet,
    Option 2 = 6’ of 20#. Tie on fly & fish.
    Both are easy and cheap and work great.
    Scott
    I agree bass are not leadershy, but would only use option #2 in lakes with largemouths. In some of the fairly clear water in the smallie rivers in that area, you might find you will get refusals, or at least catch fewer fish. Actually, six or seven feet of 10# will work, though a tapered leader (like option#1) will throw some of the bulkier flies a little better. Check into the Little Wolf River (shh!) for some good smallie fishing.

Thank you all for the great information, keep it coming! I appreciate it a lot and if I can get off of work Ill most definitely be at troutfest!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12