Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First Time Wisconsin Fly Angler Looking For Advise!

Hello,
    I just got my first fly rod for Christmas and Im looking for a bit of advice on what equipment I should look into. I have an Orvis Clearwater reel that I got on sale a while back and I just got an Echo Base 6wt rod for Christmas. Im currently in college so I dont have a lot of money to spend. I have backing and Scientific Angler Air Cell WF 6wt fly line on the way. I plan on fishing for anything that bites with it but will mostly be targeting bass and trout when I can make the drive to some trout stream. With that being said I was curious if anyone could point me in the right direction with leader and tippet. I was looking into getting two five-packs of leaders (1x and 4x) with two spools of matching tippet, and then I have some fluro from spin fishing I was going to use for hopper dropper set ups. Would that be able to cover most of the fishing I will be doing? Then if anyone could recommend a few sizes and types of nymphs, dry flies, as well as some streamers that I should look into for mainly bass and trout that would be awesome! Thanks for the help in advance!

Default Re: First Time Wisconsin Fly Angler Looking For Advise!

Welcome to the forum! Well, first off, if you are in college and don't have a lot of money to spend you picked the wrong hobby.
    Might want to consider a cane pole and a box of crickets. KIDDING!

I'm sure when the rest of the folks chime in you'll get lots of great tips and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by collintuchalski View Post
    Hello,
    I just got my first fly rod for Christmas and Im looking for a bit of advice on what equipment I should look into. I have an Orvis Clearwater reel that I got on sale a while back and I just got an Echo Base 6wt rod for Christmas. Im currently in college so I dont have a lot of money to spend. I have backing and Scientific Angler Air Cell WF 6wt fly line on the way. I plan on fishing for anything that bites with it but will mostly be targeting bass and trout when I can make the drive to some trout stream. With that being said I was curious if anyone could point me in the right direction with leader and tippet. I was looking into getting two five-packs of leaders (1x and 4x) with two spools of matching tippet, and then I have some fluro from spin fishing I was going to use for hopper dropper set ups. Would that be able to cover most of the fishing I will be doing? Then if anyone could recommend a few sizes and types of nymphs, dry flies, as well as some streamers that I should look into for mainly bass and trout that would be awesome! Thanks for the help in advance!
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

3. Likes dennyk liked this post

Where are you and what waters are you planning to fish?
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

If you’re near Viroqua head into the Driftless Angler, it’s a great shop. I would recommend getting a guide for a day or two, it does a world of good for a new fly fisher. I know you’re in college but their rates are by far the best of any guides I’ve ever used. I’m fairly new to fly fishing myself so when I go somewhere new I always get a guide. I was in Wisconsin last year for 5 days of fishing and got a guide from Driftless Angler the first two days. One day with a guy named Nick and one with Pete, both were awesome.
    There’s a wealth of info for newbies online, articles, YouTube’s, etc.
    If you do get a guide make sure you tell them you are new to the sport and that you are more interested in learning than catching fish for the day. Good luck on your journey.

6. Likes weiliwen liked this post

Being a relatively new and "budget conscious" (aka poor) fly fisher myself, I would recommend skipping the 5 packs of leaders and buying a couple of furled leaders and a couple of spools of tippet to fit the needs of the trout waters you plan on fishing. It'll be more cost up front but over the long run it should save you money. I started out with cheap tapered leaders and it didn't take long to realize they were really a waste of money. You can use "regular" line as tippet material if you want. The small spools are nice, and I guess good tippet material is higher quality than bulk box store monofilament or fluorocarbon but as long as you're not doing something crazy like trying to throw size 20 dries on 15 pound mono you should be ok. When I'm fishing warmwater for bass and/or panfish or throwing streamers for trout I build my own leaders out of bulk mono or fluoro depending on what I plan on throwing. I usually tie 20 lb for the butt, then step down to 12, and finish with 6-10 lb tippet.

Don't go crazy with the flies to start with. You can catch a lot of fish with just a few sizes of a few patterns. I would say in the few years I've been fly fishing most of my trout have come on pheasant tail, hares ear, and prince nymphs, wooly buggers, Royal wulffs, and stimulators. Hopefully someday I'll get to the point where I know exactly which fly to pull out of the box at any given time, but I'm not there yet so carrying 1473 different flies is kind of pointless for me. If you don't have a mentor to show you what works on the waters you'll be fishing, definitely ask for advice at a local fly shop. Just tell them you'd like some direction in finding flies that should generally work well in the area.

8. Likes dakotakid, weiliwen liked this post

Which part of the state are you in? The best opportunities for a beginner fly fisherman will depend on where you're at. The 6 wt should be well suited for smallmouth but fairly oversized for Wisconsin trout streams, except I suppose for the Great Lakes tribs if you're near them.

I started fly fishing while attending UWSP. The trout streams around there probably weren't the best place to learn and should have focused on smallies, but it was a start. Like one of the other posts said, the nice thing about bass is the you don't need special leaders and tiny fluoro tippet...it helps with trout in spring creeks but bass and Pike just want to eat.

ryan

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I'm currently at UW-Oshkosh but in the summer I live back home with my parents in Sussex which is in SE Wisco. I plan on making some weekend camping trips out to the dirftless area in the summer but for now I will mostly be looking at counties around Winnebago. I figured the 6wt would be a bit on the heavier side for the trout here but Im mostly fishing for whatever bites. I plan to one day graduate and move out west and at that poing im sure Ill have a large collection of different size rods!

Quote Originally Posted by smarty140 View Post
    Which part of the state are you in? The best opportunities for a beginner fly fisherman will depend on where you're at. The 6 wt should be well suited for smallmouth but fairly oversized for Wisconsin trout streams, except I suppose for the Great Lakes tribs if you're near them.

I started fly fishing while attending UWSP. The trout streams around there probably weren't the best place to learn and should have focused on smallies, but it was a start. Like one of the other posts said, the nice thing about bass is the you don't need special leaders and tiny fluoro tippet...it helps with trout in spring creeks but bass and Pike just want to eat.

ryan

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Any reccomendations for around there? I go to UWO!

Since you already own, or have advice on the necessary gear to start your fly-fishing pursuit, the best advice I got as a beginner (about 4 years ago) is: spend as much time as you can on the water. Everything you read in books or forums, whatever advice you get in the store or from fellow fishers,, no matter what videos you watch, everything will come together and make much more sense to you when you are on the water. Next best advice, get a casting lesson or two. You won't enjoy your time on the water if you are constantly getting frustrated with casting issues. Finally, stay with it. Your frustrations will only make your success sweeter.
    Welcome to the finest fly-fishing site on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by collintuchalski View Post
    I'm currently at UW-Oshkosh but in the summer I live back home with my parents in Sussex which is in SE Wisco. I plan on making some weekend camping trips out to the dirftless area in the summer but for now I will mostly be looking at counties around Winnebago. I figured the 6wt would be a bit on the heavier side for the trout here but Im mostly fishing for whatever bites. I plan to one day graduate and move out west and at that poing im sure Ill have a large collection of different size rods!
    You are in the area of the CWTU

Central Wisconsin Chapter of Trout Unlimited

They will hold Troutfest on Feb. 23, 2019 at Fin 'n Feathers in Winneconne. Admission is free. I will probably be there.

Central Wisconsin Chapter of Trout Unlimited - TroutFest

Google Maps
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast