Loop Knots

txbevo

Reaction score
I have always just used a clinch or improved clinch knot when tying on flies. However, through my reading and researching I am seeing more about tying tippett to flies using loop knots. What are the your thoughts on this? What knots do you use and when do you use a loop to tie on a fly? What type of lies do you tie on with a loop?

OldMan

Reaction score
I use the surgeons loop knot on all my nymphs. It gives it a nice free action, and with fluoro I don't need to go to such small tippets.

For dries, I use a slight variation to the improved clinch knot. I run the tippet through the hook eye twice before tying the knot. It makes a tighter knot and holds the fly in position better on the water. i hate to see a dry flopped on it's side, because of a loose knot. (or bad tying ;))

BigCliff

Reaction score
For dries, I use a slight variation to the improved clinch knot. I run the tippet through the hook eye twice before tying the knot. It makes a tighter knot and holds the fly in position better on the water. i hate to see a dry flopped on it's side, because of a loose knot. (or bad tying ;))
That's what's called the Trilene knot. It does indeed do a good job of staying put, and thus works really well on spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. (Been a mighty long time since I've thrown one of those.)

OldMan

Reaction score
That's what's called the Trilene knot. It does indeed do a good job of staying put, and thus works really well on spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. (Been a mighty long time since I've thrown one of those.)
Yes, that's what I used to use it for. Good knot for dries too. I'm sure others use it for dries too, but I haven't ran across anybody saying it yet. So, I thought i'd throw it out there.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi txbevo,

I use two loop knots to tie on a fly. If I want a loop that won't slip I use the Non-Slip Mono knot. It is simple to tie and you can get a small loop. If I want a loop that slips I use the Duncan knot (Uni knot). This is a strong knot and also easy to tie. You can get any size of loop you want and it pulls tight with a fish on.

Frank

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
TX,

Loop knots are good for giving subsurface flies more action. It let's them dance around a little more than an improved clinch etc.-- I just use them on streamers and bucktails mostly, especially with heavy tippets. For nymphs, wets and dries I tie them direct.

peregrines

Joni

Reaction score
I use the surgeons loop knot on all my nymphs. It gives it a nice free action, and with fluoro I don't need to go to such small tippets.
That is what I have been telling you for years.......hummmmmmm (smile)
But I use it for dries also. I have perfected a very small loop however and I have never experienced the flopping on the side, and like just stated...more movement. Like the 6X holding a #32...;-)

OldMan

Reaction score
Huh? I've been doing it for years. Long before I knew you.

Did I ever say it was a bad idea?

Well, maybe fishing nymphs with a fly rod, but i've come around on that.

Although fishing dry flies is still the shizzle.:exercise:

OldMan

Reaction score
Bubble and fly half my life Joni. A surgeons loop is how I attached all my sub surface flies/streamers. My dad showed me the knot when I was young.

I'm going to tell you something I never mentioned before. I like to pick other peoples brains to see what they're thinking. Many many times i'll ask questions on something I already know the answer to. Just so I can see what they think about it. I've done this all my life. Good/bad habit, I don't know? It's just something I do.

You can give me another 'whatever', but everything in this post is the truth.

Greenwood

Reaction score
O.K. I'm thinking this might be a really dumb question, but ......when you tie a fly on with the Surgeons loop, you initially feed the line through the eye of the hook? Then proceed with the initial overhand knot and finally feed the end of the loop (with fly attached) back under and through one more time. That process seems like it would get a little interesting with the fly attached but I can't figure out how else you would do it. Am I missing something here?! I know Joni and OldMan reallly like this knot so it seems like it's worth looking into.

OldMan

Reaction score
O.K. I'm thinking this might be a really dumb question, but ......when you tie a fly on with the Surgeons loop, you initially feed the line through the eye of the hook? Then proceed with the initial overhand knot and finally feed the end of the loop (with fly attached) back under and through one more time. That process seems like it would get a little interesting with the fly attached but I can't figure out how else you would do it. Am I missing something here?! I know Joni and OldMan reallly like this knot so it seems like it's worth looking into.
That's how I do it. With practice you can make the loop pretty small.

It's pretty easy with nymphs. Kind of a pain with bigger flies.

Joni

Reaction score
I thread fly.....make a loop just big enough to pass the fly through. I pass the fly through the loop twice. Then I stick the eye of the hook in the center of the loop and rest the eye against my left hand MIDDLE finger (I am right handed). With the eye of the hook in the center of the loop, tighten. When the knot is on the eye of the hook, hot tippet and pull the hook. The loop should slide off eye and create a small loop.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
I thread fly.....make a loop just big enough to pass the fly through. I pass the fly through the loop twice. Then I stick the eye of the hook in the center of the loop and rest the eye against my left hand MIDDLE finger (I am right handed). With the eye of the hook in the center of the loop, tighten. When the knot is on the eye of the hook, hot tippet and pull the hook. The loop should slide off eye and create a small loop.
Great tip, Joni! With that idea, I may even try it.

Cheers,
Neil