Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loop Knots

Default Loop Knots

I have always just used a clinch or improved clinch knot when tying on flies. However, through my reading and researching I am seeing more about tying tippett to flies using loop knots. What are the your thoughts on this? What knots do you use and when do you use a loop to tie on a fly? What type of lies do you tie on with a loop?

Default Re: Loop Knots

I use the surgeons loop knot on all my nymphs. It gives it a nice free action, and with fluoro I don't need to go to such small tippets.

For dries, I use a slight variation to the improved clinch knot. I run the tippet through the hook eye twice before tying the knot. It makes a tighter knot and holds the fly in position better on the water. i hate to see a dry flopped on it's side, because of a loose knot. (or bad tying )

Quote Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
    For dries, I use a slight variation to the improved clinch knot. I run the tippet through the hook eye twice before tying the knot. It makes a tighter knot and holds the fly in position better on the water. i hate to see a dry flopped on it's side, because of a loose knot. (or bad tying )
    That's what's called the Trilene knot. It does indeed do a good job of staying put, and thus works really well on spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. (Been a mighty long time since I've thrown one of those.)
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Quote Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
    That's what's called the Trilene knot. It does indeed do a good job of staying put, and thus works really well on spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. (Been a mighty long time since I've thrown one of those.)
    Yes, that's what I used to use it for. Good knot for dries too. I'm sure others use it for dries too, but I haven't ran across anybody saying it yet. So, I thought i'd throw it out there.

Hi txbevo,

I use two loop knots to tie on a fly. If I want a loop that won't slip I use the Non-Slip Mono knot. It is simple to tie and you can get a small loop. If I want a loop that slips I use the Duncan knot (Uni knot). This is a strong knot and also easy to tie. You can get any size of loop you want and it pulls tight with a fish on.

Frank

TX,

Loop knots are good for giving subsurface flies more action. It let's them dance around a little more than an improved clinch etc.-- I just use them on streamers and bucktails mostly, especially with heavy tippets. For nymphs, wets and dries I tie them direct.

peregrines

7. Default Re: Loop Knots

Quote Originally Posted by OldMan View Post
    I use the surgeons loop knot on all my nymphs. It gives it a nice free action, and with fluoro I don't need to go to such small tippets.
    That is what I have been telling you for years.......hummmmmmm (smile)
    But I use it for dries also. I have perfected a very small loop however and I have never experienced the flopping on the side, and like just stated...more movement. Like the 6X holding a #32...;-)

Huh? I've been doing it for years. Long before I knew you.

Did I ever say it was a bad idea?

Well, maybe fishing nymphs with a fly rod, but i've come around on that.

Although fishing dry flies is still the shizzle.

9. Default Re: Loop Knots

What ever.

Bubble and fly half my life Joni. A surgeons loop is how I attached all my sub surface flies/streamers. My dad showed me the knot when I was young.

I'm going to tell you something I never mentioned before. I like to pick other peoples brains to see what they're thinking. Many many times i'll ask questions on something I already know the answer to. Just so I can see what they think about it. I've done this all my life. Good/bad habit, I don't know? It's just something I do.

You can give me another 'whatever', but everything in this post is the truth.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast