Home Made Gadgets

FISHN50

Reaction score
For a few years now I,ve been using one of those electronic "mini grabbers" to hold a small fly while tying it on the tippet. I just came across a gadget I made a long time ago that worked pretty well also. I had taken An old click type ball point pen apart & pulled the tip off the ink tube & cleaned it out with solvent. Then I put a small piece of piano wire inside of the tube to form a loop. crimped it down & reassembled the pen. When you tie on a fly you just click the pen to push the loop out the end, snag the fly & let it go & the spring holds the fly. In cold weather it makes tying on a fly easier for someone like me with big hands. I was wondering if anyone else has some homemade gadgets they use for fishing or fly tying.

jclampwork88

Reaction score
I use a few things that I have made/modified. First, I use a hair stacker made of copper water tube. I've made a custom trash bag for my vise. To flare out the dubbing for scuds, I use a gun cleaning wire brush tip.

I use other things too but can't think of them off hand.

I like your pen idea. I have a pair of forsips(sp) attached to my vest that I use to hold flies while I tie the tippet on.

John

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Fly2Fish

All you do is press on the Reply button, type some text and then scroll down, under the field "Additional Options" you will see a button "Manage Attachments". Press that button and you will see a button that says "Browse", press that button to find the photo you want to upload, then once you have that located, press the Upload button. The only caution is to make sure the photo if in jpeg format isn't any larger than 97.7 KB.

Larry

stratton321

Reaction score
Hi there I am a UK enthusiast without a lot of experience, and have to book out 3 months in advance from busy work for a days expensive lake rainbow trout fishing. I pack some lunch with a bottle of beer and I am as happy as a man who has just won the lottery, and of course a fish is a bonus. I like your idea of the click pen and I spend much time thinking of gadgets one idea is how to thread nylon through a small eye of a fly. Just use a needle threader the fine wire loop type poked through the eye, then pass the nylon through the loop and pull through easy save time and catch more fish

MikeyBob365

Reaction score
sounds pretty cool, could i see an image of it? and on that note anyone else who made a home made gadget?

Joni

Reaction score
Not a home made gadget so to speak, but I too WAS using a gun barrel cleaning brush for dubbing, but figured out that in the LADIES make-up department of most stores, they have samplers. Find the eye lash booth, they have cool little brushes for free sitting there. Perfect! Might need some female help for this unless you are really secure with you manliness. LOL

FISHN50

Reaction score
Hi Joni.
I was using a gun brush for a while but lately I've been using a small piece of velcro glued to a pencil as a dubbing brush. It works & won't damage a quill body like the wire brush does

Thanks for fixing the post Frank.

Fly2Fish

Reaction score
Not a home made gadget so to speak, but I too WAS using a gun barrel cleaning brush for dubbing, but figured out that in the LADIES make-up department of most stores, they have samplers. Find the eye lash booth, they have cool little brushes for free sitting there. Perfect! Might need some female help for this unless you are really secure with you manliness. LOL
Not a problem (high squeaking voice). Only problem was, they tried to sell me a depilatory for my beard :rolleyes:

Joni

Reaction score
Hi Joni.
I was using a gun brush for a while but lately I've been using a small piece of velcro glued to a pencil as a dubbing brush. It works & won't damage a quill body like the wire brush does

Thanks for fixing the post Frank.
I use a plastic spoon handle with velcro stuck to it, but these little make-up brushes are small and pointed, can reach spots I couldn't before.
Love that velcro, but don't use the Industrial....it doesn't work!