Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wasilla / Skwentna, Alaska
    Posts
    16,965
    Blog Entries
    130

    Default Machine Shop Guys?

    May as well ask if anyone has a metal lathe in their shop. I need something machined from aluminum round stock and will pay in copper pots, mirrors or rum but if you insist on cash I'll come up with that too

    Hint: It's small and fishing related but will require some close tolerance work.

    Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

    Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

  2. Likes unknownflyman liked this post
  3. #2

    Default Re: Machine Shop Guys?

    Hey Ard,

    I'm pretty sure we have a couple tool & die guys here but if not I have a guy next door that has a full machine shop and recently retired from Gilllette machining parts and he has made a few things in the past. I'd be happy to see if he can help you out if you like.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    242

    Default Re: Machine Shop Guys?

    Ard, do you have a sketch or some numbers I can look at to get an idea of what you need. PM me if you like

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Lincolnshire, Illinois
    Posts
    850

    Default Re: Machine Shop Guys?

    Not to hijack your thread, Ard, but as a person whose entire experience with machine shops consists of watching guys on YouTube, any suggestions for a decent hobbyist metal lathe would be appreciated.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wasilla / Skwentna, Alaska
    Posts
    16,965
    Blog Entries
    130

    Default Re: Machine Shop Guys?

    I can't help with the lathe recommendation but I am happy to report that the problem is solved!

    Solved through my (for lack of a better explanation) through my communication skills and if I may add a diplomatic approach. I will write out the details either on a thread or most likely a blog post here. When I have it told I'll post a thread linking the Forum blog so it will be easy to find.

    On a personal level I'm pretty amazed that I was able to get what I needed from one of if not the largest fishing tackle manufacturers and sellers in America. For me it has been another learning experience and a lesson in 'Don't give up' attitude.

    More to come, thanks for the replies but I think it's a done deal

    Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

    Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

  7. #6

    Default Re: Machine Shop Guys?

    Hit up speyco.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    242

    Default Re: Machine Shop Guys?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    I can't help with the lathe recommendation but I am happy to report that the problem is solved!

    Solved through my (for lack of a better explanation) through my communication skills and if I may add a diplomatic approach. I will write out the details either on a thread or most likely a blog post here. When I have it told I'll post a thread linking the Forum blog so it will be easy to find.

    On a personal level I'm pretty amazed that I was able to get what I needed from one of if not the largest fishing tackle manufacturers and sellers in America. For me it has been another learning experience and a lesson in 'Don't give up' attitude.

    More to come, thanks for the replies but I think it's a done deal
    Glad you got it figured out. If you ever need anything like that again let me know. I can most likely make it for you

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wasilla / Skwentna, Alaska
    Posts
    16,965
    Blog Entries
    130

    Default Re: Machine Shop Guys?

    Quote Originally Posted by unknownflyman View Post
    Hit up speyco.
    Pretty sure Tim would help but see the post above, problem solved. I literally talked someone into helping me but did it in written messages. I'm a believer in the power of the written word!

    Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

    Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wasilla / Skwentna, Alaska
    Posts
    16,965
    Blog Entries
    130

    Default Re: Machine Shop Guys?

    Quote Originally Posted by rc51sport View Post
    Glad you got it figured out. If you ever need anything like that again let me know. I can most likely make it for you

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Don't worry I'll save this thread so I never forget. And thank you! If ever you think you wanna see this place while it's still kinda neat you need to drop a PM to me.

    Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

    Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

  11. #10

    Default Re: Machine Shop Guys?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    Pretty sure Tim would help but see the post above, problem solved. I literally talked someone into helping me but did it in written messages. I'm a believer in the power of the written word!
    And copper pots, apparently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What are these little guys?
    By dragon11 in forum Coldwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-10-2016, 10:05 AM
  2. Hey Guys
    By jjc155 in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-13-2015, 07:56 AM
  3. Did you guys see this?
    By hexx in forum News & articles for discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-27-2012, 03:49 PM
  4. Hi Guys
    By naisreka in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-18-2009, 02:18 AM
  5. Hi Guys!
    By saflyfisher in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-02-2009, 11:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •