Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Default Personal watercraft question

Hello so this winter I am planning on buying either diablo amigo kayak or a scadden Escape Series Zonker Lo Pro X. Just trying to decide which would best fit what I need. I live in the Midwest and will mostly be using it for anything from farm ponds to floating smallish rivers for smallmouth. I normally take 3-4 trips a year going after trout in the driftless area and the ozarks. Just wonder what thoughts some more experienced with these watercraft might have. Thanks for thoughts you might have.

Default Re: Personal watercraft question

I haven't used either of those products, but I've used similar ones. For small ponds and especially small rivers I'd prefer the scadden. You can turn on a dime, you can use fins if you want to troll, you can simply put your feet down to stop and cast on a shallow stream, and you can put your feet down and pick it up to get over small obstacles. Now I don't know how either craft would handle rough water over class I, but for gentle streams and small lakes I'd choose the Scadden.

3. Likes mcnerney, flyfishbum73 liked this post

If you go with something like the Scadden, there are a few basic things that I'd point out.
    1- make sure you've got a stripping apron, otherwise the line gets tangled up in your lap and around your legs and whatnot.
    2- If going with the Scadden or similar, I'd go with the one with the smallest/flattest tubes. You'll float just fine in any of these, and the more of the tube that's out of the water, the more you'll get blown around by the wind.
    3- make sure there are enough air chambers to save you if for some reason one goes flat.
    4- if you can transport it without deflating, that makes things all the easier.
    5- some form of anchor mount is a requirement for me personally, as are oars and a foot bar.
    6- some people like having a pontoon/tube/boat/kayak that lets you stand up and fish. I've never felt the need, but ymmv

5. Thanks flyfishbum73 thanked for this post
    Likes mcnerney liked this post

Yeah I am not planning on doing any type of white water. Lol. I donít think being able to stand up is needed. 95% of the time I will be warm water fishing on ponds and small lakes. They are both the same price.

I have all three …..LOL

I had a fishing kayak for a few years but switched to a pontoon last year and am very happy with the choice. I went with a framed Scadden as I like the additional storage capacity and the stand platform for still water. (I can also fit it in the back of my truck so I donít have to disassemble it between uses).

I think for the use you describe youíll like the pontoon better.
    Life is like a box of chocolates...and a river runs through it. Or something like that.

I wouldn't buy another Scadden product with a gun to my head. Go with Outcast or Watermaster instead if you want quality and service.

Kayaks are great if you need to cover a LOT of flat water- like in the ocean- but not great to fish from. Boats that let you control with fins provide a much better platform for fly fishing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk