Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Amadou alternative for drying CDC flies

Has anyone found a satisfactory alternative to Amadou for drying CDC flies? I understand that gel and powder floatants can interfere with CDC physical properties. I was with a guide who used tissue. Has anyone used chamois or something else?

Default Re: Amadou alternative for drying CDC flies

I use a piece cut from one of those super absorbent synthetic towels (like ShamWow). I bought one at the dollar store, cut a piece, punched a hole in it, and hung it off my chest pack. Works great.

3. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  4. Default Re: Amadou alternative for drying CDC flies

I also went the ShamWow route. In addition to the small squares I have cut for my vest and packs, I carry a larger piece in a ziploc to clean/dry up with if I need it.

5. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Try a rubber band. Chamois material is good too.

ďIf I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.Ē
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

7. Likes spm, rsagebrush, mcnerney liked this post

The rubber band works great, just snap the water off and your ready to go.

9. Likes mcnerney liked this post

A piece of synthetic chamois followed by Frog's Fanny powder works for me.

11. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by JeffEwing View Post
    Has anyone found a satisfactory alternative to Amadou for drying CDC flies? I understand that gel and powder floatants can interfere with CDC physical properties. I was with a guide who used tissue. Has anyone used chamois or something else?
    I suggest you read my primer on floatants:

Fly Floatants for Noobies or What Floats Your Fly

There are a couple of gel type floatants that will work on CDC.

Loon Lochsa and Tiemco Dry Magic are advertised for CDC. They are silicone products in an evaporative carrier that does not gum up the CDC fibers. The video of Dry Magic below also applies to Lochsa:

The hydrophobic powders like Frog's Fanny and Loon Outdoors Loon Dust are also safe for CDC. The video for Loon Dust also applies to Blue Ribbon.

Note that the video calls Loon Dust a "desiccant." It is NOT a desiccant. It really bugs me when the term desiccant is used to describe a floatant. These people should not use terms they do not understand. They are just promoting and spreading ignorance.

Desiccants like Silica Gel attract and absorb water and therefore CANNOT repel water. So fly floatants are HYDROPHOBIC powder floatants that REPEL water and NOT HYDROPHILIC drying powders that ABSORB water. Please read my floatant primer for more details.

The "shake and bake" combination products with a HYDROPHILIC desiccant and HYDROPHOBIC powders like Umpqua's Shimazaki Dry Shake and Loon Top Ride are also safe for CDC. The video for Dry Shake also applies to Loon Top Ride.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

13. Thanks ts47 thanked for this post
    Likes cpiercem, mcnerney, flytie09, lightline liked this post
  14. Default Re: Amadou alternative for drying CDC flies

Pretty much all of the above. I prep what is not cdc, but with cdc friendly stuff. On the cdc itself I only use cdc oil and only on those smallest/sparsest tied flies with just a few cdc fibers.

I use a liquid Tiemco product to prep (the bodies and tails) of flies when theyíre fresh off the vise and if I belive it is needed I apply a very, very minute quantity of cdc oil to the wings.

I do carry Loon Lochsa with me when I fish to reprep (bodies) when/if needed, but it is more out of habit than need, I donít use it much at all anymore. (It does muck up the cdc a bit)

More to the point (or not) of your question - to dry flies I actually use amadou, but not a single fancy expensive patch. I carry a couple of raw pieces/patches Iíve cut myself and use them the way you would use paper tissue. They last for quite a while and in most conditions the previous patch will have dried out and be ready for reuse when needed.

I donít prep them other than beating them to a pliable thicknes with a mallet. (log, stone, whatever) If you want it pliable enough to craft something pleasing to the eye youíll need to boil and cure in nitre/washing soda and repeatably pound the stuff, but the water absorbing ability is there from the start. Any variety of hoof/tinder fungus will do IMO (at least where I live).

Iíd gladly change them out for an equal number of crafted and sewed pieces, but so far Iíve found myself to cheap to buy them.

15. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Dry magic (before using the fly) and Frogs Fanny (continuously). You have to maintain the fly in my opinion every ten or fifteen floats (sometimes more frequently depending on water clarity/turbidity or crud in the water) and after every hook up. I just dry the fly with my shirt or paper towel. There is a pretreat liquid that a good dry fly fisherman I know says works well ( he gave me a bottle ... don't recall the name). I will dig it out of my boat bag and get the name. If the fly doesn't float as high as you like sometimes leaving it alone works better. It just takes constant maintenance with frogs fanny. A constant battle. Those "drying beads" can help, however, I usually make do without them.

The name of the liquid treatment is "High and Dry fishing products liquid floatant". I have not tried it myself.
    Last edited by falcon53; 01-06-2019 at 09:18 PM.

17. Likes mcnerney liked this post

In my post, I link to a company that sells bulk hydrophobic fumed silica. This is the exact material that is the floatant powder in Frogs Fanny and other floatant powders like Loon Dust. For your convenience here it is:

EpoxyUSA Hydrophobic Fumed Silica

It is $17 for 2 quarts. It will be lifetime supply for most of us old coots. I take spare 35 mm Film containers of it with me and give the stuff away to other fly fishers.

Since it is fumed silicon dioxide, it should NOT be opened indoors or in an enclosed space. Find or buy a clean funnel at Harbor Freight. You can also use one of those disposable paper funnels that some gas stations give out to add oil to your car.

Then get a clean ketchup bottle and use the funnel to fill the ketchup bottles. Then you can use the filled ketchup bottle to squeeze and refill the Frog's Fanny or Loon Dust Bottle.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

19. Thanks ts47 thanked for this post
    Likes mcnerney, flytie09, falcon53 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast