Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  148
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: Anybody else hitting the gym this winter?

This thread brought back a bad workout memory. I was in the military my entire adult life so I was required to be reasonably fit, and I was. But push-ups, sit-ups and a two mile run was all I was really required to do for testing purposes after the initial training years. I was always naturally skinny and learned in my 20's that lifting weights wasn't going to make me a brute, so I never bothered with weights for 15+ years. For reasons I don't remember, at about age 40 I decided to hit the weights. I was heavier now so who knows, maybe it can happen. As I recall a solid hour + workout with fairly heavy weights on day one. No holding back. You guys know how this post ends don't you? OMG I thought I should call an ambulance the next morning! Felt like I had severely torn 8 or 10 muscles in my body. I didn't of course, but I clearly remember hurting for over a week, really bad for 4 to5 days. Yeah that was really stupid. I probably did lightly tear a few muscles for real. So tread lightly when you first hit the gym is my advice. You aren't going to rush your old bones back to fitness very quickly.

2. Likes karstopo, mcnerney, cpiercem liked this post
    Blog Entries

Gyms are full of interesting people. I’ve been twice now since the new year and have been graced with a couple of characters. First visit, there’s someone in the shower making way too many loud mysterious noises. Strange noisy sounds in a public shower, I tend to find disturbing. Second visit, the fellow in the swim lane next to me is talking to himself, not swimming, just walking along and saying nonsensical things to the air. I thought to help him, but decided it was beyond my skill set. There’s generally about three or four people swimming at any one time and at least as many lifeguards and often twice as many guards to swimmers.

Persist I will, but I wonder what’s coming my way on the next visit.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

4. Likes mcnerney, ia_trouter, cpiercem, ejsell liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    This thread brought back a bad workout memory. I was in the military my entire adult life so I was required to be reasonably fit, and I was. But push-ups, sit-ups and a two mile run was all I was really required to do for testing purposes after the initial training years. I was always naturally skinny and learned in my 20's that lifting weights wasn't going to make me a brute, so I never bothered with weights for 15+ years. For reasons I don't remember, at about age 40 I decided to hit the weights. I was heavier now so who knows, maybe it can happen. As I recall a solid hour + workout with fairly heavy weights on day one. No holding back. You guys know how this post ends don't you? OMG I thought I should call an ambulance the next morning! Felt like I had severely torn 8 or 10 muscles in my body. I didn't of course, but I clearly remember hurting for over a week, really bad for 4 to5 days. Yeah that was really stupid. I probably did lightly tear a few muscles for real. So tread lightly when you first hit the gym is my advice. You aren't going to rush your old bones back to fitness very quickly.
    Wise words indeed.
    I used to race motocross and I well remember my first race, full of enthusiasm and fired up. First out of the gate, hell for leather for half a race then wanted to die, I actually passed out, "MEDICS". Couldn't walk properly for days. Curb your enthusiasm and start easy, especially as father time takes few prisoners.

6. Likes cpiercem, ia_trouter, mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by bumble54 View Post
    Wise words indeed.
    I used to race motocross and I well remember my first race, full of enthusiasm and fired up. First out of the gate, hell for leather for half a race then wanted to die, I actually passed out, "MEDICS". Couldn't walk properly for days. Curb your enthusiasm and start easy, especially as father time takes few prisoners.
    Motocross is so much fun. Most probaby don't realize how physically grueling it is. The guy at the back of the pack is still an athlete.

8. Likes mcnerney, bumble54 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I didn't make it to the gym this week, I guess I was being a bit lazy, plus I did a trip down to Dutch John on Wednesday, which called for a 4 am getup to get down there by 8:30 am. Anyway, I finally made it back to the gym today, my legs felt rubbery and tired for some reason, but I did a new PB of breaking through the 20,000 meter threshold. Now I need to start trying to improve my time.

When I lived in Laramie, WY I had a treadmill, I would workout in the mornings, but what I found was that I would do 1-2 miles and say to myself that is enough. But what I found when I went to the gym and didn't know anyone there, but I would see these folks working hard, so I would stay and get to 3-4 miles, so in the long run I was getting better workouts.

Larry

10. Likes cpiercem, ia_trouter, karstopo liked this post

At 66 years old, I still play basketball 4 plus hours a week, and that's pretty much the extent of my "gym" routine. I found long ago that I had neither the interest nor the discipline to actually work out in a gym or at home. Exercise just for the sake of exercise doesn't do it for me, I've got to be doing something fun that's also a workout. So I hike, paddle, row, wade, and play basketball. When I finally get too old to play, I have no idea what I'll do. Right now I'm in about the best shape I've been in for a decade; I went through a long period with something always bothering me, from shoulders to groin to calf muscles to achilles tendon to plantar fascitis, but right now all my muscles and joints are fine. But I don't have the "limberness" I should have. My wife used to teach yoga, and I'd like for us to get back into it, because it really helps.

12. Likes cpiercem, ejsell, mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

You bet M-F 4:45-6:10 every morning and 6:00-7:30 Sat & Sun

Like everything else in my life its an addiction.
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

14. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Haven't been working out but running up and down the stairs on location or climbing up the frac tanks is better than nothing I suppose. Have been on the Keto diet the last 4 months and have lost 30 lbs so that's a positive.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

16. Likes mcnerney, cpiercem, ia_trouter liked this post

5 to 6 days a week for me for the last 20 years. I started Pilates two years ago for stretch and flexibility.

18. Likes mcnerney liked this post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456