Anybody else hitting the gym this winter?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I have been hitting the gym this winter, primarily riding the stationary bike, I have a torn left left meniscus. I want to get back on the rowing machine, but my right hand hasn't healed fully from surgery in late Sept.
Here is my PB to date:

karstopo

Reaction score
That’s about 15 mph, very nice.

I got a membership to the town’s recreation center with the lap pool. Have I been yet, no. Tomorrow, I promise.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
We gave up on the memberships here Larry, frankly it is just too expensive. There are 2 in Wasilla The Alaska Club and one called Body Renew. The Alaska Club last time we were members the cost for 2 adults was $120.00 / month! That's some darn expensive fitness in my experience. The Body Renew place is around $80.00 / month.

I bought the updated Total Gym almost 1 1/2 years ago and between that - hand weights - walking and biking when it isn't -7 like today, that's the fitness program here :) The Total Gym is a quality product, I like it.

Reaction score
Every day for the last 9 years, since I retired. 20 minutes on the elliptical. 10 minutes on the stair climber or row machine. Then free weights for upper body (when I havn’t hurt my shoulder)& leg machines, every other day. Do it long enough & you actually miss it if you don’t go.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh I miss it but seriously $1480.00 per year was not an intelligent choice. The club that was only$960.00 was a very Spartan place for the money so it's Total Gym for me.

scoutm

Reaction score
Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday I take my lunch at the Gym. Exercise isn't my issue - it's my diet. If I could get my diet under control I'd be in much better shape.

jspfishing

Reaction score
Always maintain my fitness and stay in good shape. But flexibility/mobility is another story. I made it a point around summer to work on mobility and flexibility. No joke, that is the golden key. Honestly, I cut back on a lot of weightlifting and just do mobility/core/flexibility and yoga type movements. Makes you an iron slab wading in water. All the none show muscle are strong. Defintely the most injury prevention thing you can do in my opinion. It made me even stronger in certain lifts.

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wy
No, I hit the Dojo every day when I'm not at a Gracie Brazilian studio . Between that and all the UFC comps I have been going to I just cant manage the time for machine work . Hopefully after my back surgery I can work on the Abs . Until then I'll just keep lying here on the forum .:D

ejsell

Reaction score
Our Y is around $800 a year for the family, other than swim lessons and summer camp we really weren't taking advantage of it until last winter. We went through 2 expensive elipticals in about 3 years. Both died just after their warranties expired. After the last one I decided to add a chase lounge to our sectional instead of replacing it. And with our older 2 kids old enough to stay at home by themselves for an hour or so we have hit the gym a lot more. I try to do weights every other day and the eliptical every day before work and most evenings.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

eastfly66

Reaction score
I had a nice home gym like Ard with a full power rack with 400 lb. of plates and olympic bar but the wife decided we need that room for living space which is now under renovation. The up side of loosing my gym is that 1/2 that room is going to be my tying desk & fly stuff.

I found a nice old school gym downtown with free weights, machines, climbers and all that stuff for $280/yr. Open 24/7 too just swipe the card and your in. I go when I can and do what I can .....I think if I tried to train like I did 20 years ago something would break...

On the topic of health and fitness , what do you guys think of a resting BP of 138/85 average ? My Doc said it is a little high and put me on meds and I had a reaction to twice so I quit. He is a little pill crazy too , wants to script everything except when I asked about Test shots and than I got the riot act. I could afford to loose 20 lbs easy , maybe more and quit chewing tobacco ...do you think that would solve the problem ?

The old guidline was 140/80 than the AMA or whoever changed it to 120/70 and over night 2 million people are on meds ...sounds fishy to me.

Last edited:

corn fed fins

Reaction score
I don't do gyms but keeping up with cardio is a must. Want to have a bad elk hunting experience just go when you're out of shape. I do a cross country jog up to my neighbors gun range and back several times a week.

bumble54

Reaction score
I don't do gyms but keeping up with cardio is a must. Want to have a bad elk hunting experience just go when you're out of shape. I do a cross country jog up to my neighbors gun range and back several times a week.
With you on that one, 5 mile walk/jog every morning with the dog, 2-3 miles in the evening, walk just about everywhere and rarely use the car.
Always got some project on the go. Keeping both mind and body in shape may or may may not help me live longer but it sure beats sitting around all day doing nothing. Visited the Doc half a dozen times in my whole life. Now I'm off to sand 21 kitchen cupboard doors before I undercoat them. :exercise::thumbsupu

jzim

Reaction score
I either open my garage door and go for a run or go downstairs and hit the treadmill. Have since 1978. Lift some weights but just so I don't get tired working in the yard, fishing, or golfing. At 66 I weigh less than I did in high school.

When I die, I'll be in good shape. :)

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
I try to nordic ski 3x per week, my membership is $130.

I also use a theraband to strengthen/rehab my casting shoulder as I dislocated it when young and now in my 50s it is painful with restricted movement.

ggriffi

Reaction score
Wife and I are going 3 times a week for a spin class. I got back to riding a bicycle about 10 yrs ago and since we moved back home I haven't been on the damn thing hardly at all.

darkshadow

Reaction score
About 4 years ago, I set out to 'prove to myself' that I could get in shape while losing weight in a relatively short period of time, without resorting to any type of fad diet. I lost about 40 pounds in about 4 months, but that required going to the gym during my lunch hour every day, and counting calories. Once I reached that goal, I started going back to my unhealthy habits and gained about 30 pounds back in those 4 years.

I recently turned 40, and went into one of those Rite Aid blood pressure stations, and found that my blood pressure has gotten a bit higher than what it was during my 30s.

Incidentally, I packed my gym back today, and am going back to LA Fitness (which is across the street from work, which makes it very convenient) and used my Triple A discount to waive the $99 registration fee, and am doing month to month at $24.99. I know paying $24.99 a month may motivate me to get in there at least 3 times a week.

And it sure beats the Equinox gym in our building, which charges a $300 subscription fee, and $250 monthly fees. :confused: At that rate, there better be some person doing all the exercise for me.

mt_flyfisher

Reaction score
I go to our local YMCA practically every morning during the winter when I am at my home in PA. I guess you’d call regular exercise something of a habit for me since it’s something I’ve been doing in one form or another for more than 60 years (I’m 72 now.)

A nice thing about my gym membership cost is that it’s entirely paid for by my supplemental medical insurance, which is United Healthcare. Our Y participates in the nationwide Silver Sneaker program for seniors that includes the cost of gym membership.

I’ve spent the past 17 summers in MT where, to keep in shape, I‘ve been walking 3 miles most mornings when I’m not fishing all day, doing a lot of boat rowing on the rivers there (there are a few rivers in SW MT!), and doing push-ups - I can still do about 50 at a pop.

Oh, and I also do a bit of bike riding. Most summer days in MT I probably average 5 miles or so on my mountain bike, and have just bought a new mountain bike here in PA which I plan to use mainly to access several rivers which have miles of either hike or bike in fishing access.

I hope to get a few more years out of this old body, but less you think I’m in really good shape, I admit to being short, fat (at least 30 pounds overweight) and slow. But at least I can still go!

satyr

Reaction score
I've been hiking a lot. Last weekend did about 6 miles and 1,500 feet of elevation gain each day. And I have stopped drinking for the month of January which also helps to lose a little weight. And I rock climb at least once a week unless something is hurting that week.

rustneversleeps

Reaction score
Heavy weights for me most of the year, but do a lot of hiking in the spring and fall. Streamer curls in the summer are my favorite haha