Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Euro Nymphing Is It Worth It?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post

Dillon, if you are reading this thread can yo see the two of us with Cortland 10'/#3's around the bend above the bridge? No foot shuffling mind you.
    Dont forget the picture for us ! I want to see you with the complete outfit, chest pack , knee pads and all

I'm glad you have a good sense of humor about it and know I'm just kidding around. Back to the euro thing thou , I can say in what little I have learned about it so far I realize there is far more to it than I thought and numbers don't mean a thing to me, I'm way past that stage in fishing and life. What I do like and value about it is the fine attention to detail it take to be truely accomplished in the method.

I have a river I'll be visitng this summer, I'm going to dry fly on the SH in the early morning, euro nymph and swing with the trout spey in the afternoon and back to the dry fly for the evening rise followed by a big steak dinner....how good is that !

2. Likes sweetandsalt liked this post
  3. Default Re: Euro Nymphing Is It Worth It?

As mentioned already, euro nymphing is highly effective, but I also will recommend you try the technique out with your current gear before purchasing a specialized outfit. I euronymph much as every outing and I don't even own a competition style rod. I use two 5 weights, one is 10' and the other is 9'6", but I've used the technique effectively on almost every rod I own, including standard nine footers. Give it a shot and purchase the specialized outfit if you decide you'd like to spend most of your time on the water doing it, but otherwise it can be accomplished with more traditional rods.

S&S, I understand the delights of dry fly fishing and concede it is the ultimate form of fly fishing! However, my euronymphing experience actually involves more sightfishing than blind searching, although it does involve both. Casting long leaders on light tippets with extremely high levels of accuracy needed, then managing a drift down a single seam with a small nymph into the feeding lane of of the biggest, baddest brown in the river is every bit as thrilling as casting to risers for me!

4. Likes el jefe liked this post

My 2 fly rods right now are a 5"6 3 weight and 9 foot 8 9 weight which one of these rods would work better im guessing the 3 weight but i dont know?

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper Fly Tyer View Post
    My 2 fly rods right now are a 5"6 3 weight and 9 foot 8 9 weight which one of these rods would work better im guessing the 3 weight but i dont know?
    In my experience a longish rod is beneficial when euro nymphing, however it also needs to be very sensitive to bites/hits.

My euro rods are a 10' 2wt and an 11' 4wt with a very sensitive tip (Cortland Competition) although the 2wt gets used mostly.

I built the 2wt for well less than $100 if memory serves, from "Roger Ebay" components.

I suppose your 3wt would be as good a starting point as any.

Best,

Andy

In my experience a longish rod is beneficial when euro nymphing, however it also needs to be very sensitive to bites/hits.

My euro rods are a 10' 2wt and an 11' 4wt with a very sensitive tip (Cortland Competition) although the 2wt gets used mostly.

I built the 2wt for well less than $100 if memory serves, from "Roger Ebay" components.

Best,

Andy

You built it?

Quote Originally Posted by acorad View Post

Best,

Andy
    You built it?

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper Fly Tyer View Post
    You built it?
    Yes. It's not difficult to assemble a rod from components.

Best,

Andy

Oh! I might do that

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123