Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Euro Nymphing Is It Worth It?

I want to get into euro nymphing im wondering is it worth it if you think it is know any cheap setups

Default Re: Euro Nymphing Is It Worth It?

Tenkara ... dad and i bought one over the winter sale they had. Its euro nymphing through and through. we are having a blast with it. its nice off season cold weather fishing. and we arent trout guys anyway. we just do it for 4 months when its too cold to fish anything else around here.

I do some Euro nymphing along with my more traditional fly fishing approaches. In general I find that I catch more fish and bigger fish when I am Euro nymphing, but I have less fun.

One of my fishing buddies is exclusively a tight line Euro nympher, and he routinely outfishes me (when i am using dry, dry/dropper, or suspension nymphing rigs) by a factor of 3:1.

If simply catching a lot of good fish is your goal, Euro nymphing is the way to go.

As for gear. Cabela's has a rod called the CZN that is a good introductory (i.e., inexpensive) rod.

4. Likes irideaduck liked this post

Thank you throssing

instead of getting a new outfit to try out why not just try it with your existing equipment? 9'0" 5wt? 8'6" 4wt? tie on 20ft of 20-30lb mono to the end of your fly line and a tippet ring at the other end and then attach tippet, flies, split shot (if needed) to the tippet ring. unless your eyesight is not good you dont really need a sighter or sighter specific tippet. it does help if the mono is opaque. lazar line works well and is opaque but it is pricey. ive used amnesia with good results as well...not opaque but enough color and thickness that it can be seen pretty easily. if you love the technique then you can look into getting a more technique specific setup. i tightline with my 9'0" 5wt all of the time with good success.

7. Likes e caster, clouserguyky, tln1313 liked this post

It is worth giving it a try if it has your interest already , I don't think you need to invest in a specialized rod just to try it. I did but that's another story. See if you can hook up with someone that really understands the methods or maybe catch one of the lectures at the shows. If none of that is an option check out Dynamic Nymphing by George Daniel , I'm finding it pretty interesting and it different that what you see on many utube or written comments have to say about the subject. What ryc said above ^ about the 30' of heavy mono will get you going and what I WOULD have done if I asked the question first like you did. I am finding it pretty interesting. Oh, buy one of the pre made leaders with sighter , there not that much.

9. Likes e caster liked this post

The 2 vids by your compatriots Devon Olsen and Lance Egan are well worth the investment.... you can download them on Vimeo
    Modern nymphing- European inspired techniques
    And the second vid modern nymphing elevated- beyond the basics

I’d messed about a few times with ‘euro nymphing’ but never really spent much time at it, both these vids really helped motivate me over the last 6 months to really put a bit of focussed effort into it.

As eastfly suggested George Daniels book is very good and the troutbitten site has loads of really useful info...
    You’ll def catch more using tight line/ euro as a technique... it will never replace dry fly for me, I enjoy casting a proper line too much... but the more you get into the technical aspects of it the more fun and engrossing it becomes as a technique

11. Likes e caster liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
    Oh, buy one of the pre made leaders with sighter , there not that much.
    Don't compare them to the cost of a regular leader, compare them to the cost of a specialized rod!

13. Likes eastfly66, clouserguyky liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ryc72 View Post
    instead of getting a new outfit to try out why not just try it with your existing equipment? 9'0" 5wt? 8'6" 4wt?
    I agree, but if you have a choice a longer rod is probably preferable to a lighter one. A more flexible (lighter) rod makes it easier to toss a weighted nymph on a long leader without much line out, but a longer rod gives you more control in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by throssing View Post
    I do some Euro nymphing along with my more traditional fly fishing approaches. In general I find that I catch more fish and bigger fish when I am Euro nymphing, but I have less fun.

If simply catching a lot of good fish is your goal, Euro nymphing is the way to go.

Herein is the core question. If one's priority is catching many trout, short line, indicator, bottom dredging is very effective. However, if hunting for a challenging, visibly feeding trout and using your favorite rod to execute a fine cast and complex presentation, whether you feed him or not you might have a more fulfilling, richer experience. I elect to catch fewer fish and enjoy the fly fishing process more.

[Disclaimer] In my youth a fished a lot of nymphs, with no strike indicator though, but latter gave up blind casting favoring a more selective, visual approach.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast