Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Dying

Thumbs up Dying

What dye to buy for feathers or other natural materials

Default Re: Dying

I would contact Dharma Trading. I have purchased dyes from them - not to dye feathers. I found them knowledgeable and helpful.

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

4. Likes kayo liked this post

I use acid dyes and Dharma Trading is a good source. They have their own brand and they sell Jacquard which is also a very good brand.

I've used both depending on the colors I wanted. And, yes Dharma has a lot of good information available for any type of dyeing.

BTW it is "dyeing" with the "e". Posting a question with the other dying is spooky!
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

6. Thanks Ard thanked for this post

I used to dye and mix colors for my own materials and I had Gary Borger as a mentor. 40 years ago, when I started fly fishing and tying, dyeing materials was necessary if I wanted to match the hatch. It is no longer so.

Modern materials both harvested hair and feathers are much better today. The dry fly synthetic dubbings are as fine or finer than rabbit fur (white rabbit was the fur of choice to dye for dry fly dubbing) and synthetics are consistent batch to batch.

So I suggest you spend your money and time elsewhere. Plus it is a messy process and best done outside in the summer.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

8. Likes unknownflyman liked this post

I suppose it probably messy but I live on a farm so if you want a different color you have to dye it thanks

10. Likes Ard, Rip Tide liked this post
    Blog Entries

It can be messy and that's solely up to the person dying materials. I've been doing it since the mid 90's and always stick to small manageable size batches of both materials and dyes. I have some old acid dyes and also use Rit Dye with success. Some say that the Rit Dye will fade and that may be true. I use white vinegar during the last few minutes added to my batch to help set the color fast.

I have seen a few flies last long enough to fade but honestly by the time that happened I'd gotten fair use from them so...……..

I mention Rit because it's readily available at your local Joann's Fabric store. I stick to the powdered but have some liquid too. You can find a color mixing chart with blending recipes at the Rit Dye Home website. The website helps when you want a weird color.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors