Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Where do they go?

Thanks for all the replies guys! I suppose we could have spooked them without realizing, but we were definitely in stealth mode. I am always pretty careful, but we were extra careful because of the low, clear water so I don't believe that was the issue. I plan on heading back in two weekends to see if I can solve the puzzle. It's the challenge that keeps me coming back for more!

Blog Entries

Hi,

Sorry if I missed it but what species of trout are usually present?

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by Green Heron View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys! I suppose we could have spooked them without realizing, but we were definitely in stealth mode. I am always pretty careful, but we were extra careful because of the low, clear water so I don't believe that was the issue. I plan on heading back in two weekends to see if I can solve the puzzle. It's the challenge that keeps me coming back for more!
    You would probably be very surprised at how well trout and other fish are at hiding. In low, very clear, cold water, they instinctively know that they are vulnerable to above water predators (like eagles and ospreys), and they move to places where they can hide completely out of sight--beneath rocks, logs, or undercut banks. There is a small stream not too far from where I live in Missouri that is a blue ribbon trout water, but most anglers believe there are very few trout over 10 inches in it, because that's all they see, and all they catch, in normal water levels, when the creek is very clear and has few pools more than 3 feet deep. But a buddy discovered that if you go at night, or when the water is high and murky, there are a lot of amazingly big trout (20 plus inches) in that creek. You NEVER see these fish until conditions are such that they can come out without being easily seen.

4. Likes bumble54, bocast liked this post

On my stream I've had the same experience as RipTide. Fish stack up in a couple of deeper holes during very cold or hot weather. I just leave them alone as I figure their physical resources are taxed enough already.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    Hi,

Sorry if I missed it but what species of trout are usually present?
    Mostly rainbow trout. There are some browns, but very few.

Blog Entries

These kind of discussions can lead to a wide range of suggested scenarios and can be very hard to solve with a concrete answer. That is unless you are the person who does the leg work, collects the data and then reports your findings.

There's a lot to know about the stream in question that you are in position to learn. Rainbow trout are of a migratory nature as are other species of trout. Other than fish traveling to spawn this migratory behavior could be triggered by environmental factors. I'm not there to observe but am guessing that between water temps, flow velocity and possibly a noticeable drop in other forms of aquatic activity are involved.

In short, when I go onto a new stream or river to fish for trout I've learned to look for the fish food. Depending on ones location fish food can vary but that's where I start especially if there seem to be no trout about.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

8. Thanks Green Heron, bocast thanked for this post
    Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Not saying it was your approach....but if I fish the way I do in summer, in winter, I will strike out.
    More than anything......don't fish out of habit. It ain't always the same.
    Clear water warrants a longer leader (mudded), preferably no wading, and no false casting.......fish the bugs that are on the menu in the stages for the time of day you're out.
    If that doesn't do it....there are no fish in the river....(Famously heard Truckee phrase).

Jim

10. Thanks Green Heron thanked for this post
    Likes mcnerney liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12