Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Double hand casting ruining your single hand casts

So, I couldn't remember the last time I used my single hand rod until 2 weeks ago, I've exclusively using my switch rods for the past 1.5 years and to be honest I was ashamed by my single hand casting skill.
    The cast was all over the place and the line piled up like poops. Only after awhile, I started to get a hang on it again. It could be the line of choice, but it shouldn't be that bad. and I had this "voices" that kept saying "go back to the car and get your switch rod"

Does anyone else have the same experience?
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

Blog Entries

Default Re: Double hand casting ruining your single hand casts

My one hand casting remains consistent. I don't get much practice because most places I fish are better suited for long rods but it would seem my single hand casts are pretty much the same. 2 years ago after giving a presentation at a Spey / Fly Fishing Clave I was unwillingly roped into a distance cast contest. Everyone used the same rod a 9 foot Winston 7 weight. The line was a standard WF line not a shooting head, they allowed 2 minutes for each contestant to get a feel for the rod line combo then 3 casts on the water along shore where each was marked by a team of observing judges.

I was a bit nervous having never done anything like that before and with an audience of around 80 people I made my three casts. They landed where they had to and the best was 89 foot.

The winner hit 109 feet if my memory is correct but I thought that 89 from a guy who was drafted into the thing was acceptable. I don't know if I could do better with more practice or not, maybe...….. I think it's a matter of how well your reflexes retain the technique for casting. The number of years doing it could factor in also. I'd say that in my case it's like swimming or riding a bike and I can still do it pretty well.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

3. Likes mcnerney, bocast liked this post
    Blog Entries

I think learning DH casting improved my SH casting, but I did not stop casting my SH rod while I learnt the DH stuff. I would think the main reason your SH casting suffered was the length of hiatus. I think anybody's casting would suffer if they didn't do it for that long.

Cheers,
    Graeme
    IFFF Certified Casting Instructor

(Formerly known as Kalgrm)

5. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Maybe i should give it more try before i switched to the switch rod just to get the mechanism back. i should just go without the switch rod and force myself to cast single hand all day.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

7. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

This may set off the but..... I do a lot of one handed casting with my 14 foot rods. Maybe I still have really strong wrists but I don't think a day goes by (when fishing) that I don't make one handed casts with the Spey rod and they are not tiny short pokes. I can say with certainty that I toss the whole 45 foot Scandi with the 14' leader & fly on it regularly.

Maybe that helps?

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

9. Likes mcnerney liked this post

But but but i thought you weren't supposed to cast your dh that way.

Blog Entries

That's just a myth I've done it with all of them but freely admit that the (lightweight) combination of the Sage X & Spectrum Max reel make it a whole lot easier. Without taxing my calculating abilities I think the rod and reel come in just under 15 ounces. Add the weight of the 560 grain Scandi with integrated runner and it's still a really light setup.

When I was a kid I had a South Bend bamboo 7 weight for a streamer rod. I would guess those old 9 foot models weighed 6 ounces. I used a Pflueger 1495 with a #7 Rocket taper on it. Don't know what that combo weighed but do remember that after a cool early winter day with it you were keenly aware that it was heavier than my Fenwick glass rod. Todays rods are really lighter and I'm finally reaching a point where I can appreciate that.

Thanks to Go Pro I have a short clip of one hand casting using a 15 foot Winston with a 9/10 Orvis Vortex and a 600 grain spey line on it. Heavy rig that one. Took the clip because I figured there would be at least a small steelhead lurking in the currents. After a few minutes I stopped the camera because I figured it would be boring...… Duh! Just down river I hooked up with one that did a cartwheel jump soon as it hit the fly. I had a good time on that river for sure, beautiful place.

Last edited by Ard; 01-10-2019 at 12:08 AM.

12. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I've relatively little time on the water with my spey rod, but I find some spey techniques creeping into my single hand casting. The only time it's caused me trouble is when I'm trying to teach someone who is new to the fly rod. I've forgotten what it's like.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

14. Likes mcnerney, Bigfly liked this post

I have long thought that if want to take your SH casting to that next level you should take up DH casting, I know it did great things for me.

I fished a two hander about 2 or 3 seasons before my casting suddenly reached a much higher level. About that time my SH casting also elevated. Fishing partners were asking me questions about how I learned to cast like that and strangers were stopping to watch me cast and telling me they'd never seen anyone cast so well. It wasn't just roll and single hand spey casting, my overhead casting improved too.
    I think it's because the two hander teaches you how to manipulate your line and rod according to your environment and what you want you to accomplish so that your rod loads and casts efficiently. Most SH guys just pick up the line off the water, shoot it behind them, then shoot it straight forward. Casting a DH rod involves multiple planes, different casts, changes of direction, accounting for wind direction, deciding where to place your anchor and how that affects your casting stroke, shooting line, and a multitude of other little things. It takes a while, but all that stuff becomes almost unconscious, and becomes part of your casting no matter what kind of rod you're using.

16. Thanks Bigfly thanked for this post
    Likes mcnerney, bocast liked this post

I agree that today's light gears make it possible for us to do many things like single hand casting with a full size spey rod; and that is a beautiful stretch of the river Ard.
    Jojer, your comment reminded that I did touch a single hand rod last year when I taught my friend on how to fly cast, so what I experienced the last time could be just the head or the heard was playing games with me.
    I will be starting to use my single hand more often now since mangrove fishing is in the schedule for this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast