Thanks Thanks:  16
Likes Likes:  47
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Thoughts on Introducing my Daughter to Fly Fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by zjory View Post
    I thought you are in Wyoming?
    I do, but my son's family lives on the Front Range of Colorado, so when I go down to visit, we try t sneak out for a little fishing.
    Larry

2. Likes zjory liked this post
  3. Default Re: Thoughts on Introducing my Daughter to Fly Fishing?

I would commence just fishing. At that age and before I started fishing with my father...I would start or continue with gear and add fly fishing once she's hooked...don't give up. My younger daughter did not fully commit to fishing until she was in second year in college...took her to Andros...prior she had some casting lessons...her rod was my old Orvis Boron 8wt... that was it she was hooked...then Michigan Salmon and Steel...then conventional Tarpon Keys...then Costa Rica blue water Stripes, Pacific Sails and eat Mai...she's coming with old dad first week April East Cape conventional for whatever is around...she's 36 and still finds time to be with the old man...dad's never give up on daughters...the rubric is mother son father daughter...she likes to fish...I would just start fishing all kinds... [ATTACH=CONFIG]1483Attachment 14834Attachment 14835

4. Thanks Curmudgeon thanked for this post

I have two granddaughter's that I taught to fly cast one was 5 the other was 8. I purchased a Ross pink fly rod and reel combo for the older one some years back. I bought the young one an Echo Gecko combo. I feel the Echo is by fare the best youth fly rod out there to teach a child with. Both girls love to fly fish and want to go all the time. I used the Orvis 1, 2,3 method that I have attached. Also attached Echo you tube.

6. Thanks Curmudgeon thanked for this post
    Likes mcnerney liked this post

Default Thoughts on Introducing my Daughter to Fly Fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    I do, but my son's family lives on the Front Range of Colorado, so when I go down to visit, we try t sneak out for a little fishing.
    Cool, itís a nice place to fish.
    Last edited by zjory; 01-13-2019 at 09:22 AM.

8. Default Re: Thoughts on Introducing my Daughter to Fly Fishing?

I daydream about the day when my daughter asks me to take her back to Montana. She has fished the Madison twice, and a number of mountain streams in PA and Montana. She’s 15 now and fishing is just ‘meh. Maybe someday...

9. Thanks Curmudgeon thanked for this post
  10. Default Re: Thoughts on Introducing my Daughter to Fly Fishing?

could not photo loaded correctly.
    Last edited by tln1313; 01-12-2019 at 07:10 AM.

Thank you to all of you for taking time to share your thoughts and experiences. I will try to set something up when we are in the US this Spring, and I hope I'll have something positive to post afterwards.

I am glad everyone seems to agree that 8 years old is not to young to start fly casting. How old does she have to be before she can have whisky and a cigar while we rest the water?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123