Electronic License

dillon

Reaction score
This year Oregon has introduced a license that can be purchased on line and stored in an app on a cell phone. It can also be printed off on paper. The harvest card for recording retained salmon and steelhead may also be filled out on the app. I purchased my pioneer angling license ($6 if you have resided in the state for over fifty years and are 65 or older) and a harvest card for $40.50. This card must be in possession if angling for salmon, steelhead, sturgeon or halibut whether you harvest one or not. I, like many others (of all ages) was having a little trouble navigating the system so I called the ODFW office and a nice lady walked me through it.

Has your state adopted this licensing system? I usually purchase a license in at least three states and it would be nice to have them all on the phone.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Wyoming adopted online licensing this year, ID and UT have had ti for awhile.
That year we fished together on the Henry's Fork, I bought my ID license using my cell phone, I had the receipt and then when I went to push he button to download my license, I got a failed message. So now what to do. I called the Idaho Game and Fish department and told the gal what happened. She said I would be fine with the receipt.
Tuesday I purchased a three day license for UT to fish the Green below Flaming Gorge. The first time I used it, it was a bit confusing, but now I have the app on my phone and this time it was pretty easy.

photoguy

Reaction score
For the last 5 years at least they've all been on line and stored on my phone. Funny thing is I've never been asked to produce it other than with a guide who's asked to see it before we went out fishing.

bocianka1

Reaction score
In Pennsylvania we are required to display our license, so I don't forsee an app working for us.

However, they have had online printable licenses for several years. I have found the best way is to print it to a pdf and save it in the cloud. I print out a couple copies (1 for my fly gear, and a separate copy for my spin gear), but having it stored in the cloud allows me to re-print additional copies if I happen to lose one.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

silver creek

Reaction score
Wisconsin has several options. One is that the license is linked to your Wi driver's license so you need not carry a fishing license at all. Another is a Wisconsin "Go Wild" card that looks like a credit card and it identifies you and links to all the Go Wild options including holding all sporting licenses including fishing, hunting, trapping, etc. The Go Wild card is a one time expense and that is what I use.

Go Wild - Account Lookup

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
No apps available but I get my license online in co, nm, az, with az being the last to provide online service. I print and carry.

jzim

Reaction score
In Ohio we can have an electronic version of the fishing license. I have both, the printed license and an image on the phone.

Also, for the first time, fishermen in Ohio can purchase multiyear licenses. I bought a 5 year, senior license. Less than $10 a year. The best bargain in Ohio.

redietz

Reaction score
In Pennsylvania we are required to display our license, so I don't forsee an app working for us.
Actually, PA has signed a contract with a company for electronic licenses:

Smartphone option coming for Pennsylvania fish license

OTOH, I have no intentions of buying a smartphone just to buy a license, and if I ever did buy one, I wouldn't take it fishing, since many of the places I fish don't have cell coverage anyway.

Also notice that one of the reasons stated in the linked for switching to an e-license is to gather more data about anglers. No thanks.

jayr

Reaction score
I have TN, NC, VA and SC licenses. TN and VA are more advanced that the other two. Having them on my phone is nice as every now and then I forget to remove my wallet when I wet wade:(

ggriffi

Reaction score
Missouri has online purchase as well as a phone app. When I applied/rec'd for my lifetime license last year that was a mail in form.

duker

Reaction score
Well, not everywhere in Canada--we still issue paper licences here in the NWT.

Alaska has issued "electronic" licences for a while now, and last year they allowed you to have a copy on your phone/electronic device. I don't have a cell phone (?!) so I just print a copy off and sign it, then put it in a ziploc bag that I keep in my wader pocket. If I'm wearing my waders I'm legal.

I'm all for technological improvements and making things easier, but that signed paper licence will never run out of battery power or crash or fall in the river (all of which I've seen happen to friends' cell phones on fishing trips).

Scott

plecain

Reaction score
I have licenses in four states.
One specifically says in the regs that phone images are OK.
The others don't say whether they're OK or not.
I have the images on my phone, but also print and laminate the paper versions.

patrick62

Reaction score
I usually buy season licenses in Conn., Mass. and N.Y. I've gone the electronic route a couple of times, but I enjoy the ritual of going to various town halls. I spend half my working life in town halls anyway, so it's not a stretch.

brianrap

Reaction score
But you can buy it online and print it or save a copy in your email ... no?
No. Canada does not issue the license-that is done by each jurisdiction i.e. province or territory. Some are electronic and can be purchased online and some are still paper based. I've also been told that an electronic copy might not be acceptable in BC and that a person needs to carry a paper copy with them.

dillon

Reaction score
I think it's nice to have the license stored on the phone but there are some issues in Oregon. For example, the Salmon harvest card is on the app. However, one must be in cell range to enter your catch. A harvested salmon must be recorded before one resumes fishing. So, I guess it's a good idea to have a paper back up. It's been said that OSP will issue citations A fish isn't tagged, before fishing again,even if out of cell range.

westcoast

Reaction score
You can buy your licence online here (which is in itself a recent development), but you have to print off a paper copy.

Scott
I also print my out of habit. But I see this as the Government just being behind the times. When I buy a licence online, they also email me a copy of the licence, I can open the email and show it to an officer anytime/anywhere, I don't have to be in internet/wifi range to do that.

duker

Reaction score
I agree that insisting on a paper copy is kind of behind the times, but not everyone has a cell phone and not everyone is comfortable having every aspect of their life, including licences and documents for their various activities, stored electronically.

I'm not criticizing or judging anyone who prefers to have an app for everything and everything on an app--I do realize it's the future--but printing off a paper licence has always worked for me, and I just don't see any advantage in using an electronic copy instead.

Scott