Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pinedale, WY
    Posts
    20,223
    Blog Entries
    50

    Default Question for the Utah Anglers Who Fish the Green at Dutch John, UT

    Chris and I did a float of the A Section this past week and a question came up on the river flow. As you can see from this USGS graph, they don't keep the flow stable, they seem to bump the flow up and then drop it sharply a couple times throughout the day. So my question is, does the USGS also offer a graph somewhere that shows the "times" they expect to raise/lower the flows? If a guy wanted to wade across the river, it would be helpful to know in advanced when the flows would be at the lowest, but it's not very easy to see that from the graph they publish.

    Larry


  2. Likes Ard, cpiercem liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    new york city
    Posts
    207

    Default Re: Question for the Utah Anglers Who Fish the Green at Dutch John, UT

    Apologies for hijacking your thread but I’m curious about that fishery in the winter. One day my family is gonna go skiing near slc but I’d much rather be fishing. How was the fishing? Would you recommend? Weather conditions? Streamers? Nymphing? Is it more quality or quantity or both? Sorry for all of the questions but any insight you can share would be greatly appreciated. Maybe the pulsing of the water may be energy demand related? but that’s just a guess. Thanks!

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ladysmith, WI
    Posts
    281

    Default Re: Question for the Utah Anglers Who Fish the Green at Dutch John, UT

    That is a strange pattern, I'm curious to hear why it's controlled like that. It looks like the dam is operated by the Bureau of Reclamation, maybe call them or the visitors center to see why?

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pinedale, WY
    Posts
    20,223
    Blog Entries
    50

    Default Re: Question for the Utah Anglers Who Fish the Green at Dutch John, UT

    Quote Originally Posted by smarty140 View Post
    That is a strange pattern, I'm curious to hear why it's controlled like that. It looks like the dam is operated by the Bureau of Reclamation, maybe call them or the visitors center to see why?
    I'm no expert, but from what I have heard, they increase the flow for electricity generation demands, when the demand goes down the flow decreases.
    Larry


  6. Likes cpiercem, canehunter liked this post
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pinedale, WY
    Posts
    20,223
    Blog Entries
    50

    Default Re: Question for the Utah Anglers Who Fish the Green at Dutch John, UT

    Quote Originally Posted by ryc72 View Post
    Apologies for hijacking your thread but I’m curious about that fishery in the winter. One day my family is gonna go skiing near slc but I’d much rather be fishing. How was the fishing? Would you recommend? Weather conditions? Streamers? Nymphing? Is it more quality or quantity or both? Sorry for all of the questions but any insight you can share would be greatly appreciated. Maybe the pulsing of the water may be energy demand related? but that’s just a guess. Thanks!
    If you look at the SLC weather, then in about 2 days you will have that same weather. Or just look at the forecast for Dutch John, UT.
    Yes, it fishes very well even in the winter using both streamers and nymphing. Look at the Trout Creek Flies fly shop web site river report for what to expect. If you nymph, go small.
    Trout Creek Flies Green River Utah Fly Fishing
    There is a walking path from the dam all the way to the first takeout called Little Hole, roughly 7 miles down stream. If wading, I would recommend going down to Little Hole, park there and then working your way upstream. The issue with starting at the dam is that you have to park your vehicle up high above the water and then walk down to the river on this walking trail, at the end of the day then you have to walk back up that same trail. It's hard to describe, but once you see it you won't make that mistake again.
    Larry


  8. Thanks cpiercem thanked for this post
  9. #6

    Default Re: Question for the Utah Anglers Who Fish the Green at Dutch John, UT

    Mcnerny, check out this link. It is a timeline of the current release schedule the Bureau of reclamation is following.
    https://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/crsp/c...entRelease.pdf


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Kris

    "Omnis Cedo Domus"

    "The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad." - A.K. Best

  10. Thanks cpiercem thanked for this post
    Likes ggriffi, mcnerney liked this post
  11. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Detroit Lakes, Minnesota and Bozeman, Montana
    Posts
    132

    Default Re: Question for the Utah Anglers Who Fish the Green at Dutch John, UT

    Larry:

    At the Denver Fly Fishing show last week I attended a session on Floating the Green River, including section A, conducted by a local guide. One of the things he emphasized was, if you intend to cross the river, be sure to check the release schedule first as people sometimes find themselves caught on the opposite side of their boat when the water goes up. It was a good presentation.

  12. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  13. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    new york city
    Posts
    207

    Default Re: Question for the Utah Anglers Who Fish the Green at Dutch John, UT

    Thank you! With some luck I’ll be fishing there one day.

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pinedale, WY
    Posts
    20,223
    Blog Entries
    50

    Default Re: Question for the Utah Anglers Who Fish the Green at Dutch John, UT

    Quote Originally Posted by dryfter View Post
    Mcnerny, check out this link. It is a timeline of the current release schedule the Bureau of reclamation is following.
    https://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/crsp/c...entRelease.pdf


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Dryfter: Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for!
    Larry


  15. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pinedale, WY
    Posts
    20,223
    Blog Entries
    50

    Default Re: Question for the Utah Anglers Who Fish the Green at Dutch John, UT

    Quote Originally Posted by 100954 View Post
    Larry:

    At the Denver Fly Fishing show last week I attended a session on Floating the Green River, including section A, conducted by a local guide. One of the things he emphasized was, if you intend to cross the river, be sure to check the release schedule first as people sometimes find themselves caught on the opposite side of their boat when the water goes up. It was a good presentation.
    100954: That is my whole point in trying to find a chart that shows the release schedule by hour, the chart on the USGS site isn't of much value. I have heard stories where people have waded across the river, then the release slowly rises and then they can't get back across. So someone in a boat has to rescue them. Maybe at my age the best plan is to just take my pontoon or drift boat down and row across the river and that way I always have a way to get back to the other side.
    Larry


  16. Likes cpiercem liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Utah National Parks Licensing Question
    By mtboiler in forum Rocky Mountain Range
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-25-2014, 01:25 PM
  2. Dutch Reels Dutch III (Ari Hart design)
    By 650flyguy in forum Fly Fishing Tackle Member Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-03-2013, 12:00 PM
  3. a Dutch man is going to fish in Quebec
    By EddyLammens in forum Eastern
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-22-2013, 04:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •