Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  68
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Top two destinations if you had the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    Fortunately for me, the kinds of places that I enjoy fishing the most are just a short drive away

That said, I'm off from work until mid March.... perhaps a road trip to the Everglades is in my future

Attachment 14908

You kill me lol,,,,it - 10 C here in my part of Ontario...good for you!
    Life is too short to not own at least one piece of Hardy fly fishing gear

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by cwb124 View Post
    Never quite understood this. I have a buddy who employs this same tactic. I go the other way. I love to really dig into a place and understand the fishery and understand the surrounding drainages and explore untouched waters. I do a trip to Idaho almost every year and while we do try and explore at least one new water every year, we have found that our knowledge of half a dozen rivers/streams makes our fishing experience so much better. Knowing runs, pools, and where you nailed (or missed!) a big fish the last time. Exciting. I suppose if I was employing a guide every time I could get used to new locales each time, but I love and prefer the DIY route.
    Yes Practical was what this was about but great to hear the fantasy trips as well

My first dream trip would be to the Sutton River in northern Ontario to fish for sea run brookies. This is supposed to be the best brook trout river in the world, at least for numbers of big fish. The Sutton ends in Hudson Bay and the chance of seeing a polar bear along the way is high.

A second dream trip would be off to Newfoundland to fish for Atlantic salmon and sea run brown trout. I have never fly fished for Atlantics and this would be a place with high probability for success if timing is right.

5. Likes huronfly, Ontarioflyguy liked this post

Smith River and San Juan

Thanks for the thread. Very fun read.

I've done the Caribbean thing enough; love the fishing, but tired of the delays and logistics.

I spend summers around Yellowstone, so I'll keep it real:

1. More time along the Madison below Earthquake.

2. More Hebgen Lake.

And on those rainy, windy days: watching wolves in YNP.

8. Likes Ontarioflyguy, iv_wjb, tx_newb liked this post

I suppose that with me there may be a difference between talking the talk and walking the walk. In recent years I have usually managed at least one annual big trip to Labrador or northern Quebec for Atlantic salmon, or to the Bahamas for bonefish -- so those are the trips I have actually been taking. But when you ask the question hypothetically, I realize I would like to spend more time chasing wild trout in the Rockies. Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico. The specific location wouldn't matter to me as much as the quality of the water and degree of fishing pressure -- I'd like to find places in scenic surroundings with high populations of fish and low populations of anglers. I've also never been to the famous classic trout streams of Michigan and central Pennsylvania, and I'm curious about those, but I wonder whether the quality of the fisheries and the angling experience is still as good as it was in their glory days, and whether other destinations are better today.

On the less practical side would be some of the exotic destinations others have mentioned: Kamchatka, the Kola Peninsula, Patagonia, New Zealand.

On the even more fanciful level is an idea that has been lurking in my imagination since I first learned to tie flies at age 10, more than 50 years ago. Around that time, my parents built a vacation house on Martha's Vineyard (which is, thankfully and luckily, still in the family). Now, the Vineyard is famous for its saltwater fishery. However, back then, Nelson Bryant was the outdoor columnist for The New York Times, and he had grown up on the Vineyard, and he wrote a droll article about the time when as a boy he and his buddy took a boat out by the creek mouth in front of where we were building the house, hooked and lost a 3+ pound sea-run brook trout, and capsized. After reading that article and recognizing the location I spent more than a few days looking for a big brook trout myself there, but all I ever caught were white perch. Turns out the strain of big salters in the estuary has disappeared, but the creek still holds a lingering population of little native brookies in its headwaters, and Nelson told me where to go find them. The town it runs through, which is now called West Tisbury, was originally founded as Tisbury by an English settler named Thomas Mayhew in the 1600s. (He tried to govern it as the lord of his own feudal manor until the other settlers revolted and overthrew him, but that's another story.) He named it for his hometown of Tisbury, near Stonehenge. It so happens that the original Tisbury has a pretty good chalk stream, the Nadder, and there are trout fishing beats available on a daily rental basis. So, although it seems everybody and his brother comes to Martha's Vineyard to catch striped bass and bluefish, I have always thought it would be pretty cool to catch a trout on a fly in both Tisburys. If I could do it on the summer solstice after watching the sun come up over Stonehenge, so much the better. But somehow it has never risen to the top of my priority list.
    Last edited by moucheur2003; 01-21-2019 at 09:38 AM.

10. Likes Ontarioflyguy, sweetandsalt liked this post

If you would have said money was no object. I would have said go to the UK and fishing the Yorkshire rivers with North Country Spiders and the southern chalk streams with dries. I love the tradition of it.

Nothing in the US interest me. I already fish great waters.
    Last edited by old timer; 01-23-2019 at 09:53 AM.

12. Likes sweetandsalt liked this post

Lucky me I am hitting both this year! Going to Nipigon in June and hitting the Skeena early in August!!! Another one would be NZ, which I've already done, but would go back in a heartbeat!
    Danny

14. Likes Ontarioflyguy, sweetandsalt liked this post

If I had unlimited time without current restraints, I would spend two to three weeks fishing the Seychelles. Also, I would stay at least two weeks on Christmas fishing exclusively for GT's. I would also spend at least two weeks traveling and fishing Mongolia for taimen.

Most other places I've been I'm ready to get home after a week of intensive fishing, but never get enough of fly fishing for GT's. Nothing like it in this World. The trip to Mongolia is something I hope to get around to doing in the next couple of years.
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

16. Likes sweetandsalt liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by srock View Post
    My first dream trip would be to the Sutton River in northern Ontario to fish for sea run brookies. This is supposed to be the best brook trout river in the world, at least for numbers of big fish. The Sutton ends in Hudson Bay and the chance of seeing a polar bear along the way is high.

A second dream trip would be off to Newfoundland to fish for Atlantic salmon and sea run brown trout. I have never fly fished for Atlantics and this would be a place with high probability for success if timing is right.
    You have I have very similar tastes in fly fishing destinations...minus the seeing of a Polar Bear. Lived around Black Bears most of my life and they are dangerous enough for me. lol

18. Likes huronfly liked this post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast