Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default Re: Nymphs v. Soft Hackles

Since there is alot of talking about soft hackle, We would do a soft hackle swap.

John

2. Default Re: Nymphs v. Soft Hackles

I agree John :-)

I want to say, that although a traditional wet fly, they are a very versatile fly. Don't limit yourself.
    Get "SLY NEMES - The Soft-Hackle Fly and Tiny Soft Hackles" great read.

To me, there is generally the PUPA/CHIRONOMID stage, then the NYMPH, then the EMERGER, then DRY, and the Spinner.

I don't consider pupa/chironomid a nymph, but that is me.

But, I will fish a WD40 or a Zebra on the bottom or mid or even Frog Fanny bubble on top with GREAT success.

I say try different things with flies.
    In my Denny Rickards fishing Stillwater book, they put softhacle on Pheasant Tails, on Hares ears....and there is the AP.....which all I am saying is softhackle are NOT just floss and Partridge.....they can be many thing.
    My favorite streamer is Gartsides Marabou Soft-Hackle on a #4 hook.

3. Default Re: Nymphs v. Soft Hackles

I'll think about hosting a soft hackle swap after the new year. Right now it is just too busy with holidays and family.

John

4. Default Re: Nymphs v. Soft Hackles

If I miss it, pm me, I am soooo in.

5. Default Re: Nymphs v. Soft Hackles

Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    If I miss it, pm me, I am soooo in.
    I wouldn't do a swap without you.

John

Default Re: Nymphs v. Soft Hackles

The original type soft hackles are just about forgotten in today's world. The orange and partridge it one of my favorite flies. I have Joni tie up some all the time for me. (I give away quite a bit)
    However you fish them, the damn things work.
    A great fly is one that imitates more than one insect. The old guys knew what works, and soft hackles work. I fish them like Greenwood does, sink tip to floater.
    Sly's book is a very insiteful book too. We thought it was good enough that we got one for G$ last year for Christmas.
    DID YA READ IT YET GORDON?
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Hey, I'll be keeping my eyes posted for that soft hackle swap; and I wouldn't be surprised to see Pocono jump in on that one too!

8. Default Re: Nymphs v. Soft Hackles

I'm down for a softhackle swap....

I prefer softhackle to nymphs, more ways to fish them and Joni said it, they ungulate & pulsate with each strip of fly line....Hard to beat a fly that commands a aggressive strikes.

I have heard and read good reviews on the Nemes book. I am going to have to check it out. What about "Wet Flies" by Dave Hughes? Anyone read it or have a review of it? Also, what about Davy Wotton's DVD "Wet Fly Ways"? Anyone watched it? Looks like it might be a good resource.

10. Default Re: Nymphs v. Soft Hackles

Davy Wotton is one of my HERO's. His videos are the best. He explains things sooooo clearly. It is a great vid, definitely worth checking out.
    As Far as Dave Hughes...well anything he puts out has got to be great. Sadly I haven't .....YET!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast