Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  89
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Need to buy a few flies.

Quote Originally Posted by hairwing530 View Post

A PM is headed your way about your bass/pike needs.

Jerry, aka hairwing530
    I am new to fly fishing myself, and will soon be in the market for some flies. I will be mostly fish for trout (natural & stocked), bass, and panfish. I am very interested in receiving information on how to go about purchasing from you as well. Sadly, cancer is common in my family, so when given the opportunity to do so, I'll point my money anywhere it can benefit others going through it. Thanks!

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I have seen several posts recommending Jerry, so figured this was a good time to get some info.

2. Likes flytie09, hairwing530, mcnerney, dennyk, spm liked this post
    beside the AuSable River in northern Michigan

MrFrost83,

Not to worry about the prospects of a thread being hijacked. The fact that you took the time to participate on the forum matters more than a slight deviation from the thread's intent. Welcome to the sport of fly fishing, and one of the finest fly-fishing forums you'll ever find!

I'm sorry to hear that your family has been subjected to the disease known as cancer. When I was first diagnosed over 21 years ago, it caused a major upheaval in my life, to be sure. And, when my youngest daughter lost her battle with leukemia in 2010 at the age of 15, cancer literally drove me to my knees. I always fought to protect "my girls," but I was literally helpless to defend my youngest against a disease that I had fought for years at the time of her passing.

Fortunately, the memories of the two of us tying together at the desk still carry me through the tough times. So, too, do the annual Saturday tying classes with "my kids," Fall/Winter gatherings that have been ongoing for 20 years now, and classes for kids enduring the same insidious diseases that have impacted my family and me. In the classes with "my kids," I'm able to give back and pay it forward, and honor Laramie's memory as well...

Now that I've said my peace, please feel free to PM me whenever you're ready for some flies, and know that the bulk of the money will be going back into the classes with "my kids."

Again, MrFrost83, welcome...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

4. Likes flytie09, mcnerney, dennyk, MrFrost83, karstopo liked this post

I sell flies. Usually to local people when they ask. Some from instagram. I do it all. Micro stuff, nymphs, small to extremely large streamers, and tube streamers. I also do dry flies, but my dry fly hackle inventory is poor. haha. Probably a little too expensive for me right now, but I really need to see about getting more. I sell flies to buy materials and also to raise money for my college fly fishing club. I'm the President and founder so I do what I can to keep it alive haha. Eventually, I want to set up a website to get a little more serious. If anyone is interested, just private message me.

6. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530 liked this post

There are half a dozen dry flies I got from Jerry before I started tying that I keep over my vise to copy when I tie those patterns (mine are never as good).

+5 for Jerry flies!

9. Likes hairwing530, dennyk, mcnerney liked this post

Check sierra trading post. They have flies on sale all the time. I just picked up a dozen Morrish hoppers for 12 bucks. I would normally pay anywhere from 24-36 dollars for the same flies at the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by 802flyfish View Post
    Check sierra trading post. They have flies on sale all the time. I just picked up a dozen Morrish hoppers for 12 bucks. I would normally pay anywhere from 24-36 dollars for the same flies at the shop.
    I used to recommend this. But I stopped buying from them. The hooks are poor and fell apart even before a fish was hooked. And these were MFC brand...... a major player.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

12. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by flytie09 View Post
    I used to recommend this. But I stopped buying from them. The hooks are poor and fell apart even before a fish was hooked. And these were MFC brand...... a major player.
    Idylwilde flies are tied in Sri Lanka. There's a fishy story about them in The Drake circa 2013 with a temporary restraining order filed against Umpqua. I don't know all of the drama but some here probably do.

Montana Fly Company is a competitor also sold on STP.

Jerry (aka hairwing) recommended above, provides you with enough flies to get started. As you travel to streams, I always recommend stopping by the nearest fly shop to the stream you are fishing. If I ask for advice on the stream I always buy at least a dozen flies for the day. They will likely know what is working at the moment.

15. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530, ejsell liked this post

Once those fish figure out you've plagiarized Jerry's flies it's gonna be hell to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by zjory View Post
    There are half a dozen dry flies I got from Jerry before I started tying that I keep over my vise to copy when I tie those patterns (mine are never as good).
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

17. Likes ejsell liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123