Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  113
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Fishy Framed Wall Art

Quote Originally Posted by brook rookie View Post
    "...Interestingly, this company combined a number of my paintings into the various images."

I don't mean to be rude, but why would you allow someone to modify the content of your work? Do you copyright your work?
    Yes, the work is copyrighted. I have to okay any modifications before they can be reproduced, and just forgot about this company's mods until I saw the images again. I don't mind modifications to fit the requirements of the project like this. With the three rainbows that were modified, the fish were originally t-shirt designs that had no background, so placing them into backgrounds of some of my other works was necessary to make them match the other images in detail.

Sometimes the company will ask me to do modifications, instead of doing it themselves in-house. I'm proficient enough in Photoshop that I can combine works or even create backgrounds on the computer. Many of my images that are licensed on various products originally started out as t-shirt designs or other designs specifically for licensing. I also do finished fine art paintings, with a couple galleries handling them, and those images appear on licensed products very infrequently.

2. Likes dennyk liked this post

Thanks for your reply. I am happy to hear that you have control of your work. When I first read the post I thought your work had been modified without your knowledge or consent - maybe as a way of getting around copyright. Obviously artists live and die by copyright. I don't understand why people are so willing to appropriate other people's work - especially if it is on the internet, Actually it is a form of poaching and just as despicable.

4. Likes dennyk liked this post
    Blog Entries

A couple years ago I received this wall hanger from an employee working a bar in Utah… He was a customer of ours that thought I might enjoy this piece. Two of my favorite things. Fly Fishing and Beer. It hangs among other fly-fishing art by various fly-fishing artist in my office / tying room.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CutThroat Leaders View Post
    A couple years ago I received this wall hanger from an employee working a bar in Utah… He was a customer of ours that thought I might enjoy this piece. Two of my favorite things. Fly Fishing and Beer. It hangs among other fly-fishing art by various fly-fishing artist in my office / tying room.

Hi Mike, what happened to your picture? I can't view it.

Denny

I find the fly fishing to be such an immersive type of "performance art" in itself that I'm challenged to find another artistic medium that captures it for me. For some, representational art does it best: the drawing of a fish trying to shake off a tight line, or the setting of a beautiful western river.

For myself, if I'm not viewing actual photos or videos, I find I'm most affected by the more abstract representations. The "Ice Jam" in unknownflyman's previous post is a good example.

Another one is the Pheasant Tail Nymph lino print series by Michigan artist Gregorio Perez:

il_570xN.1749010290_n89k.jpg

il_570xN.1748996576_mbby.jpg

With the abstraction, my mind starts to "fill in the blanks" of tying the flies, opening my flybox and seeing a row of them, teasing a trout with it, etc.
    Additionally, the abstraction makes them look like folk art dolls or talismen, which in a sense they are.

That is not to take anything away from appreciating the talents and skills of those who work in more representational mediums. It's just my personal preference that some kinds of abstract art somehow more fully engage me in what I appreciate about the activity and environment of flyfishing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by yikes; 02-16-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

8. Likes dennyk, flyminded, WoollyBourbon liked this post
    Blog Entries

yikes, Gregorio has got some pretty cool stuff on his website, thanks for the link!

Denny

10. Likes yikes liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unknownflyman View Post

We also have a few given to us by George Morrison. One of my favorites titled Ice Jam A lot of his work was Lake Superior horizon lines.

unknownflyman, In my mind's eye this picture takes me back to several late May fishing trips to the Big Two Hearted River along the Lake Superior shoreline. We would hike the North Country Trail and fill our coolers up with leftover ice from the dunes. On one side of the dune was Lake Superior, on the other side was the river. Beautiful place!

Denny

12. Likes unknownflyman liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    unknownflyman, In my mind's eye this picture takes me back to several late May fishing trips to the Big Two Hearted River along the Lake Superior shoreline. We would hike the North Country Trail and fill our coolers up with leftover ice from the dunes. On one side of the dune was Lake Superior, on the other side was the river. Beautiful place!

Denny
    George was a world famous abstract artist from Grand Portage Mn, He did a lot of Lake Superior Horizons, the Witch tree, So much wonderful work. What a vision and mind he had. George has long passed, I was very lucky have to one of my favorite abstract artists ever, as a friend.

Spending years steelhead, brook trout and salmon fishing on the north shore, I got his work and even the more esoteric stuff Immediately. He taught me so much about art.

His work conveys the interconnectedness of all things which is how I feel anywhere on or around that big beautiful Lake.

14. Likes dennyk, flyminded, yikes liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unknownflyman View Post
    George was a world famous abstract artist from Grand Portage Mn, He did a lot of Lake Superior Horizons, the Witch tree, So much wonderful work. What a vision and mind he had. George has long passed, I was very lucky have to one of my favorite abstract artists ever, as a friend.

Spending years steelhead, brook trout and salmon fishing on the north shore, I got his work and even the more esoteric stuff Immediately. He taught me so much about art.

His work conveys the interconnectedness of all things which is how I feel anywhere on or around that big beautiful Lake.
    Sorry of your friend's passing even though it has been some time. Yes it certainly is a big beautiful lake. (Gitche Gumee)

Denny

16. Thanks unknownflyman thanked for this post

Below is a picture of the canvas print I have hanging in my office. I had a blank space that I needed to fill and wanted to hang something that would stand out a little. It's also a fun way to figure out which coworkers know their fish....

It was done by David Danforth, a local (Florida) artist, who I follow on Instagram. He attends quite a few fly fishing shows with Taylor Fly Fishing, and is always posting cool new pieces.

More of his Art here.

IMG-0897.jpg
    Last edited by WoollyBourbon; 02-17-2019 at 09:36 PM. Reason: fixing link!

18. Likes dennyk, yikes liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123