Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What rod to add...?

My humble little selection of rods includes a 9' 5wt Orvis clearwater a 9' 5wt Fenwick Aetos and a 9' 8wt Douglas DXF. The 8wt is for Bass fishing lakes and farm ponds local to where I live. I have recently become aware of the driftless area in Northeast Iowa, and made my 1st trip there a couple weeks ago. What surprised me about the area we fished was how small the streams we fished were. Not to mention the beautiful little trout we caught. Not complaining, I just envisioned it differently. To my question...
    I am considering a lower weight rod like, perhaps a 3wt? Knowing what rods I now have, what would you say length and weight wise would help round out my arsenal? Focusing more on trout fishing these smaller holes and streams in the driftless. Thanks!
    " I have learned that to be with those I like is enough" Whitman

Default Re: What rod to add...?

You need a good 3WT for the drift less. Personally I like 8`6" fly rods which mine is, I could live with 8` but many lighter rods just get too short for me. Many like 6 to 7-6" rods.

That's what I'm feeling. Advice on length ?

I updated my post but I tend to view right or wrong 8`6" as the perfect single hand length and what I like for where I fish.

That being said, I can't tell you what you'll like. For smaller creeks and overgrown streams shorter may be better.

5. Thanks Mcbeck thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

I would only comment that I believe a 3 wt., as stated in the compare 3wts thread, should be in the arsenal of any angler that approaches smaller water, they are the correct tool for that environment. They are also surprisingly versatile (depending on rod configuration) very accurate, and less tiring and blast to fish with....the "fun" factor on smaller water goes up exponentially. Everyone will have an individual and particular length preference that suits them and the water they are frequenting. Shorter rods (in general 3wt speak here) are sniper like accurate and longer rods aid in mending and/or nymphing, however, I have found that dry's and smaller specialty flies are the small water ammo of preference in the majority of small water attack plans. (think usually shallow water to begin with). With that, rods of 7'- 8' are likely the most common 3wts, anything shorter is more specialty brushy small creek, alpine stream, backpack, type rods and anything longer is generally specialty presentation type scenarios, exceptions to the above exist, as well as, preferences of course. Personally, if I'm going over 8' I will step up to a 4wt, as I'm not a fan of longer 3wts. and I've never seen an advantage of capabilities, casting distance (which is rarely an issue on small water), mending, roll casting, etc. but have seen the detriment of long rods hampering ones ability to fish when faced with limited room. Personally, my preference for an "all around" 3wt for smaller water is a 7'6", which will also generally allow quite a bit of versatility and you may find yourself using it on medium size water as well when conditions allow. But be warned, light line rods are addictive, small water fishing once truly mastered, can offer a form of zen/serenity rarely duplicated, and arguably, the challenge of chasing hyper aware, ultra spooky, fish, on super light gear, can become an obsession pretty quickly. Lastly, only YOU can choose the right rod for YOU, nobody elses happiness with the rod or opinion of it matters, get what feels best to YOU, and gives you the most fun and enjoyment. Cast them, lots of them, yourself, before purchase. Have fun! Good luck your search.

7. Likes el jefe, Redrock liked this post

I fish a lot of very small creeks too, I like to use a 6'9" 3 weight glass rod. That said, I am going to be looking for a longer 3 weight in the 8-8.5' range this year for fishing areas later in the summer where long grass makes the short rod less effective, and to be able to dap in some places where casting is downright impossible.

I'd stick with one between 7 and 8 feet as cooutlaw mentioned. Seems to be a good all round length for little creeks.
    Danny

cooutlaw thanks for your thoughts. The thought of my original post was brought on, like I said, by the cool little streams that we ran across a couple weeks ago. I remember thinking then, that I can see a need for something lighter/smaller. With some reading on here, it seems obvious that a 3wt is one of the "tools", my tool box is missing. The areas we fished varied from widths I could jump over, to the widest pool being maybe 20' x 20'. Long casts aren't needed in this area. My 1st fish of the day actually came from underneath a little limestone overhang that was at most 10' wide, the cast was more of a flip up stream. I will check out the 3wt thread.

Huronfly, I am definitely going to look for an all arounder type rod.

I lived close to, and fished, the driftless area a fair amount before I moved west. I agree with the others, a 3 weight from 7.5 to 8.5 feet would be a great rod for those rather small and brushy creeks.

Fished the driftless area many years with 7'6" 3wt and 7'6" 1wt . I like light rods . Fished the San Juan this year with 1,2,3, and 4wts . Had a blast . I have heavier rods but they feel like clubs to me .
    Thread Killer

13. Likes cooutlaw liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast