Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Wearing waders while hiking in or keeping in bag?

Quote Originally Posted by jangles View Post
    I bought these for bike fishing .
    Those look very nice. However, I think they probably cost more than my fishing gear and bike combined. In addition, I just parlayed my $150. prize from the July caption contest, Christmas cash and most of the good will ( from my financeer) into an Allen Azimuth, new Lamson reel and a new Airflow streamer taper. Not going to buy any more gear for a while 'cause I like sleeping inside.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

2. Likes MichaelCPA liked this post

Depends how far and where I am fishing. Plus temperatures have a factor also. Almost always in the Smoky Mountains I have wet waded. Even when my buddies and I spent 3 day on Hazel Creek. I do recall one trip I had put my waders on because we were fishing very close to the vehicle. One of my buddies wore Chota Hippies. Fishing the Au Sable River in Michigan I wore my waders.

But to answer the original post, I think it depends on the conditions. Terran, distance, and temperature of air or water. Putting the waters in a pack can make a very pleasant hike.
    RJ

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by old timer View Post
    I put waders on at home and take them off there too. Whatever is done in between is done with waders on.
    That's the way I go a lot too. I'll ride horseback in waders/boots and on some long rides too if it's going to be a wet day. I wear Korkers and switch the soles as necessary (I'm most often unstudded in the water with the Idogrip sole anyway). The old Chrome model boot was better than the Devils Canyon and whichever model my other boots are as hikers -- light and easy on the feet. But not so durable. Used to go through two pair of those a season.

I wear waist-high's for most of the season that requires waders.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
    Those look very nice. However, I think they probably cost more than my fishing gear and bike combined. In addition, I just parlayed my $150. prize from the July caption contest, Christmas cash and most of the good will ( from my financeer) into an Allen Azimuth, new Lamson reel and a new Airflow streamer taper. Not going to buy any more gear for a while 'cause I like sleeping inside.
    I understand your pain that's why I don't go for all the expense stuff , Orvis , Winston , Patagonia , Simms ,Etc . These were $25.98 with free shipping on ebay .
    Thread Killer

It depends what i'm doing.

In the summer time, I wet wade so that would be the simple answer.

In the winter, it depends how far I'm walking and how hard the descent is. If I'm nearly rappelling straight down into a canyon? Then having another pack filled with just waders and wading boots would not be fun, so I'll wear the waders in. If it's a relatively clean long hike, then the waders get packed into a Simm's day bag along with my wading boots and I'll move from a sling pack to a vest to allow storage in the front along with a backpack.

I'm guessing a lot of you don't hunt? Packing out the meat from a 700lb elk will get you sweating. Hiking in breathable waders doesn't feel any hotter than hiking in jeans to me. Plus, i'll be wearing my studded wading boots for sure grip on the trail.

To be honest though. In my area there's usually a 4wheel drive road running along the river/creek, so not much hiking is involved. Unless you were going to fish a high mountain lake at 12,000ft. Those will take some hiking but it's cool up there.

If I am hiking, I typically am going to small streams, so I wet wade.

I used to hike in waders. It wasn't the waders themselves that were so bad, but the wet clammy feet in the neoprene booty of the wader, which would just about give you trench foot.

After much experimenting, I have settled on the best combination for me for hiking in to fish. First, a pair of lightweight quick dry fly fishing pants, a la the Simms Guide pants. For my feet, a pair of wading or fishing shoes, sized to fit Simms wet wading socks. I will carry a jacket and pants made of Gore Tex Paclite material. If it gets windy and/or rainy (read: cold), on go those overgarments. They keep me warm, even as the legs get wet underneath the Paclite pants. The Paclite garments are light and pack down small. Even the wading shoes and wet wading socks are small and light enough to pack in, if you prefer doing the actual hiking part in some other footwear.

I'm lucky when it comes to feet. They never seem to sweat. If i'm not in waders i'm wearing my hunting boots with the heaviest wool socks I can find at Cabelas. I'm comfortable year around like that.

We're all different and one method will never work for everybody. I doubt anybody wears eavy wool socks year around like me but it's perfect for me. I never ever get blisters.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123