Wearing waders while hiking in or keeping in bag?

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering what peoples preference is when going to their favorite stream - wear the waders on the hike in or keep them in a bad and put them on when you get there? I use stocking foot and have a pair of Simms boots (don't remember the exact model). Last year I wore them in every time I went fishing but I always get a little nervous when I'm going through branches, bushes, etc. that I'm going to poke holes. I generally don't hike in very far but that might change this coming year on the hunt for bigger and better fish now that I have a season under my belt.

So - what is your preference?

satyr

Reaction score
Depends on how far I am hiking. For instance, last year we hiked into the second meadow on Slough Creek in Yellowstone. That is 7+ miles each way. I would never want to wear them that far. But if I am walking 30 minutes or less I might wear them. I also tend to wet wade whenever possible because I hate carrying my waders and shoes with me. I keep thinking about getting a pair of the new Patagonia packable waders just so that I have waders that I can fit into my normal hiking shoes. This would save a lot of effort carrying around a second pair of shoes just to wade in with neopreme footed waders.

rustneversleeps

Reaction score
Depends on how far I am hiking. For instance, last year we hiked into the second meadow on Slough Creek in Yellowstone. That is 7+ miles each way. I would never want to wear them that far. But if I am walking 30 minutes or less I might wear them. I also tend to wet wade whenever possible because I hate carrying my waders and shoes with me. I keep thinking about getting a pair of the new Patagonia packable waders just so that I have waders that I can fit into my normal hiking shoes. This would save a lot of effort carrying around a second pair of shoes just to wade in with neopreme footed waders.
See any bears? They are super thick in there

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
Easy answer, I don't hike in my waders.

I wet wade in fast drying flats pants with zip off leg capability during the warmer months, ( out here, thats the better part of the year. ) so I'm more likely to wear trail running shoes on the hike in and out, and a small 20L day pack to carry my wading boots ( I wear a softer more flexible wading boot than most, so getting them into a smaller pack is a snap. ) adding to the load are neoprene booties, spare dry socks, one - two kitchen size trash bag and a bunch of paper towels to dry my feet with at days end, before putting on my dry socks and trail running shoes for the hike back. If I have to bring waders, they'll find their way into or onto that 20 L pack.

Why the paper towels and not a small terry towel? Paper towels dry quickly, don't require washing, can be used for starting a fire, leaving notes, work pretty well as a multi-size bandage or as mountain money. There is always a roll of paper towels in my rig. The garbage bag is for the wet wading boots, booties and socks, to keep my pack dry and the water off my back on the hike out. I rarely fish with the pack on, rather when I get to where I'm going, I boot up and stash the pack. No worries about theft, the boogie man doesn't like to hike that far or that high for a stinky old pair of north face trail running shoes and a fifteen dollar Eddie Bauer Ultra Light day pack.

Dave

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I did 10 and 1/2 miles in a pair of Simms with their boots on years ago. The best part was the pictures...…..

I didn't need a foot transplant when I got back to camp but will never do that again. If I go a mile or better along a river that's enough and I only do that during low water when I have to park the boat.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I hike in my Simms waders, usually around 1 to 5 miles and wade back. Seems fine to me, it is even better with my new G3 boots. So nice.

Please keep in mind that is during cool weather, which many of you would call winter, we call it fall.

bocast

Reaction score
I wear waders for a leisurely, twenty minute walk from my house to a local river in cold weather only. A few hours of fishing and a walk back home work out perfectly. A little rain or snow just adds atmosphere. I dress in layers and always quit well before cold takes any toll on what little coordination I have.

In warm weather, I don't hike in waders.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

JoJer

Reaction score
I've been trying to decide how I want to do this when I bike the local greenbelt to fish. I've wadered up when I park and biked in, but I haven't been on the bike in a while . Even when I was biking regularly, I fell a few times on the dismount. (I'm getting pretty good at it) Chances for a crash on the greenbelt are even money and will only get better as the weather improves. Can't decide if I want to wear them and risk destruction of the waders, or get my butt wet putting them on while sitting on the ground.

troutman75

Reaction score
I usually wear waist high waders and comfortable wading boots with vibram soles. They’re good for most hike-ins. I don’t fret the vegetation, they can handle the abuse.

For me distance/time/vegetation is secondary to the expected intensity of effort. Clammy, sweaty waders is not among my favorites (even if they do air out and dry really fast).

Any hike involving hauling a heavy backpack or taking on steep gradients, I usually pack the fishing gear and wear light trekking wear and proper boots.

Sometimes I’ve chosen to trek in wading gear anyway, it’s a good choice if you need to traverse bog, wetland and streams to get where you are going.

chechem

Reaction score
See any bears? They are super thick in there
I've seen bears at Slough and the Lamar (YNP) almost every trip there. Of course, you can see 10 miles in every direction.

I don't wear waders when hiking more than a mile, but do during shorter hikes. Easier to gear up at the car that in the bush. And I wear them almost every time there's snow on the ground.

YNP May 2018

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
Depends... This would save a lot of effort carrying around a second pair of shoes just to wade in with neopreme footed waders.
I like my Korkers, I can change soles from hiking to felt/spikes. I wear thick socks anyways and they fit ok.

dillon

Reaction score
Whatever you do don't walk to the river in waders and carry your boots. I once saw a young couple walking around in the wooded parking area in waders without their boots on. ;)

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wy
I've been trying to decide how I want to do this when I bike the local greenbelt to fish. I've wadered up when I park and biked in, but I haven't been on the bike in a while . Even when I was biking regularly, I fell a few times on the dismount. (I'm getting pretty good at it) Chances for a crash on the greenbelt are even money and will only get better as the weather improves. Can't decide if I want to wear them and risk destruction of the waders, or get my butt wet putting them on while sitting on the ground.
I bought these for bike fishing . $25.98 & free shipping .

Attachments

Last edited:

old timer

Reaction score
I put waders on at home and take them off there too. Whatever is done in between is done with waders on.

edreilly

Reaction score
For short hikes I wear my waders.

For longer hikes what I do is strap my waders on the back of my Fishpond pack-vest and wear wet wading socks and my wading boots. That way I don’t have to carry a second pair of boots but don’t have to sweat & beat up my waders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

old timer

Reaction score
My last pair of G3's lasted me 8 years. I was fishing every day from early spring to late fall. No need to beat up your waders because you wear them.

I've got red and black wool hunting shirts I bought in the 50's and still hunt in them.

CutThroat Leaders

Business Member
Reaction score
I do both, depending on how far I need to hike before I begin to fish… If I need to hike over a ½ mile, I typically will pack my waders in. Sometimes I pack them 1 mile in, sometimes the hike might last 5 miles or more. I tend to hike fast when I going to a spot, hiking fast in waders is not that comfortable for me.

I also tend to wet wade often… even in extremely cold water so I do not need to pack waders.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Unless I can see the water from where I park, I will put them in my pack and change on the bank. Around here, wear them while hiking in you might as well plan on wet wading in your waders.