Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wearing waders while hiking in or keeping in bag?

Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering what peoples preference is when going to their favorite stream - wear the waders on the hike in or keep them in a bad and put them on when you get there? I use stocking foot and have a pair of Simms boots (don't remember the exact model). Last year I wore them in every time I went fishing but I always get a little nervous when I'm going through branches, bushes, etc. that I'm going to poke holes. I generally don't hike in very far but that might change this coming year on the hunt for bigger and better fish now that I have a season under my belt.

So - what is your preference?

Default Re: Wearing waders while hiking in or keeping in bag?

Depends on how far I am hiking. For instance, last year we hiked into the second meadow on Slough Creek in Yellowstone. That is 7+ miles each way. I would never want to wear them that far. But if I am walking 30 minutes or less I might wear them. I also tend to wet wade whenever possible because I hate carrying my waders and shoes with me. I keep thinking about getting a pair of the new Patagonia packable waders just so that I have waders that I can fit into my normal hiking shoes. This would save a lot of effort carrying around a second pair of shoes just to wade in with neopreme footed waders.
    My best vacation is your worst nightmare. After all, it's only really fun if it is at least Type 2 fun.

3. Likes trout trekker, Ard, bocast liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by satyr View Post
    Depends on how far I am hiking. For instance, last year we hiked into the second meadow on Slough Creek in Yellowstone. That is 7+ miles each way. I would never want to wear them that far. But if I am walking 30 minutes or less I might wear them. I also tend to wet wade whenever possible because I hate carrying my waders and shoes with me. I keep thinking about getting a pair of the new Patagonia packable waders just so that I have waders that I can fit into my normal hiking shoes. This would save a lot of effort carrying around a second pair of shoes just to wade in with neopreme footed waders.
    See any bears? They are super thick in there

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest / Kern River.

Easy answer, I don't hike in my waders.

I wet wade in fast drying flats pants with zip off leg capability during the warmer months, ( out here, thats the better part of the year. ) so I'm more likely to wear trail running shoes on the hike in and out, and a small 20L day pack to carry my wading boots ( I wear a softer more flexible wading boot than most, so getting them into a smaller pack is a snap. ) adding to the load are neoprene booties, spare dry socks, one - two kitchen size trash bag and a bunch of paper towels to dry my feet with at days end, before putting on my dry socks and trail running shoes for the hike back. If I have to bring waders, they'll find their way into or onto that 20 L pack.

Why the paper towels and not a small terry towel? Paper towels dry quickly, don't require washing, can be used for starting a fire, leaving notes, work pretty well as a multi-size bandage or as mountain money. There is always a roll of paper towels in my rig. The garbage bag is for the wet wading boots, booties and socks, to keep my pack dry and the water off my back on the hike out. I rarely fish with the pack on, rather when I get to where I'm going, I boot up and stash the pack. No worries about theft, the boogie man doesn't like to hike that far or that high for a stinky old pair of north face trail running shoes and a fifteen dollar Eddie Bauer Ultra Light day pack.

Dave
    Last edited by trout trekker; 02-05-2019 at 11:38 AM.

6. Likes Ard, trout stalker, LimerickShaw, jb1023 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I did 10 and 1/2 miles in a pair of Simms with their boots on years ago. The best part was the pictures...…..

I didn't need a foot transplant when I got back to camp but will never do that again. If I go a mile or better along a river that's enough and I only do that during low water when I have to park the boat.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

8. Likes bocast, rsagebrush, LimerickShaw liked this post

I hike in my Simms waders, usually around 1 to 5 miles and wade back. Seems fine to me, it is even better with my new G3 boots. So nice.

Please keep in mind that is during cool weather, which many of you would call winter, we call it fall.

I wear waders for a leisurely, twenty minute walk from my house to a local river in cold weather only. A few hours of fishing and a walk back home work out perfectly. A little rain or snow just adds atmosphere. I dress in layers and always quit well before cold takes any toll on what little coordination I have.

In warm weather, I don't hike in waders.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

11. Likes unknownflyman, proheli liked this post

I've been trying to decide how I want to do this when I bike the local greenbelt to fish. I've wadered up when I park and biked in, but I haven't been on the bike in a while . Even when I was biking regularly, I fell a few times on the dismount. (I'm getting pretty good at it) Chances for a crash on the greenbelt are even money and will only get better as the weather improves. Can't decide if I want to wear them and risk destruction of the waders, or get my butt wet putting them on while sitting on the ground.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

13. Default Re: Wearing waders while hiking in or keeping in bag?

I usually wear waist high waders and comfortable wading boots with vibram soles. Theyíre good for most hike-ins. I donít fret the vegetation, they can handle the abuse.

For me distance/time/vegetation is secondary to the expected intensity of effort. Clammy, sweaty waders is not among my favorites (even if they do air out and dry really fast).

Any hike involving hauling a heavy backpack or taking on steep gradients, I usually pack the fishing gear and wear light trekking wear and proper boots.

Sometimes Iíve chosen to trek in wading gear anyway, itís a good choice if you need to traverse bog, wetland and streams to get where you are going.

Quote Originally Posted by rustneversleeps View Post
    See any bears? They are super thick in there
    I've seen bears at Slough and the Lamar (YNP) almost every trip there. Of course, you can see 10 miles in every direction.

I don't wear waders when hiking more than a mile, but do during shorter hikes. Easier to gear up at the car that in the bush. And I wear them almost every time there's snow on the ground.

YNP May 2018

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast