Looking for ferrule wax or lube recommendations

brkncly

Reaction score
Looking for a high quality wax to use on the ferrules on my fly rod? Any brand recommendations? Was looking at Loon Graffitolin Ferrule Wax or Orvis Ferrule Wax, what do you guys use? Also how often do wax or lube your ferrules?

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Paraffin from the grocery store does fine for ferrules and sections of wading staffs. No need for anything fancy.

I generally do it once a year in the spring, then I only do it depending on use or if the ferrules start to stick or loosen up while fishing. The newer rods seem to have less of a tendency to come apart when fishing than they used to.

I would do it more frequently if the rod is in a lot of dusty or very hot conditions. Don’t cake it on heavily, just use a light coating.

Don

DrewK

Reaction score
Grab an old candle you have laying around. Or paraffin wax if you do any canning or have another reason to have that stuff. No need to make the simple stuff complicated...

I rub some on the ferrules whenever I feel things get sticky, and the rod gets hard to get apart. No specific schedule, it’s maybe every 10th trip or so.

silver creek

Reaction score
Looking for a high quality wax to use on the ferrules on my fly rod? Any brand recommendations? Was looking at Loon Graffitolin Ferrule Wax or Orvis Ferrule Wax, what do you guys use? Also how often do wax or lube your ferrules?
The replies are correct. Paraffin or candle wax is sufficient, but here's my tip.

The next time you get a birthday cake or are at a party, just grab a few of the used birthday candles. Put one in a small zip lock bag and put it in one of the small pockets in your fishing vest. Take it out and wax your ferrule when needed. I have been using the same birthday candle for years and it is always with me.

scotty macfly

Reaction score
I don't know if Orvis still does this, but if you go to an Orvis shop & buy a rod, they give you a little container of wax. But you can get Orvis wax without buying a rod, its cheaper that way, lol.

I agree with Silver Creek. Just use a birthday candle if you have any. I do.

Just don't use the oil from the side of your nose or behind your ear. Not good.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Thanks riptide, I’m in the habit of checking the sections occasionally can’t say it’s ever been a problem for me. Have had sections stick but usually a dip in the river cures that.

akos75

Reaction score
Be very careful with the Loon Graffitolin: it works well on some rods but on matte finish (at least on our Stickman rods) it makes the ferrules so slippery that there is no grip at all between the sections. Candle wax is the best solution, it is good for all finishes. Apply it after the rod has been used 7-10 times, that should be plenty enough. Always remove the residue form the male ferrule as it can gather sand and dust if it is sticky.

osseous

Reaction score
Index finger to side of nose swipe down rub on rod . Also there's some mighty fine wax across the brow and behind the ear .;)
That's not wax, it's oil- and that old technique is a holdover from metal ferrules. It is not suitable for graphite.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

proheli

Reaction score
I’ve usually got a Bert’s Bees Honey Chapstick with me, it sounds like that would be fine?

Also, I usually wipe the ferrule,even if is just with my fingers or shirt, to make sure its clean, but i get worried there will be little bits of sand in the female end. At the least I blow into the hollow end to try and clear grit out. Does the hollow end ever just fill up with stuff and change the characteristic of a rod?

silver creek

Reaction score
Index finger to side of nose swipe down rub on rod . Also there's some mighty fine wax across the brow and behind the ear .;)
Nose or ear wax is should not be used. It contains salt from sweat and also fine dust.

Rub a clean piece of tissue on your nose or ear after a day of fishing and it will be discolored from fine dust particles. Salt and dust will gradually grind down the ferrules.

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wy
Nose or ear wax is should not be used. It contains salt from sweat and also fine dust.

Rub a clean piece of tissue on your nose or ear after a day of fishing and it will be discolored from fine dust particles. Salt and dust will gradually grind down the ferrules.
I didn't say I actually did any fishing . lol Seriously though , do you realize how many times and how much salty oil one would have to put on a ferrule to make any difference ? This whole thread is ridicules with info .

osseous

Reaction score
Ever seen a manufacturer recommend oiling a graphite ferrule?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk