Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Introductions

1. Default Re: Introductions

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Close enough. Welcome, there's a few that prefer glass to plastic here. Me, me, me, Joni, Pocono (I think he prefers glass) and Frank hates them.
    BTW, what reel you looking for?
    I hear you build glass. Do you still find new blanks or strip and re-build older blanks? and do ya sell any?
    Bear

Default Re: Introductions

if you have other suggestions for reels, I'd like to hear them.
    Welcome glassroddr. You might try a post-war JW Young reel on that rod also. Something like a Beaudex or a Condex. They aren't usually too expensive, they are built to last and would be period correct.

I'm a glass fan myself... for fresh water anyways
    I've fished the same Lamiglas 4wt for over 30 years, but my Phillipson Eponite Royal and my Wright & McGill Featherlight get a lot of use too

I fish a Meisselback Airex on the W&M, a Medalist on the Lami, and a Bristol on the Phillipson
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

4. Default Re: Introductions

Started out with a Diawa 6 wt. and Pfueger 1492. Spent more time practicing in the backyard than I ever did fishing. I loaned it to a friend who subsequently closed a car door on it...
    Man, I would love to have that rig back (unbroken, of course).

5. Default Re: Introductions

Welcome. Now I have a sudden urge to pull the old fenwick out of the garage......
    The head, the tail, the whole damn thing

Quote Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
    I hear you build glass. Do you still find new blanks or strip and re-build older blanks? and do ya sell any?
    Bear
    Bear, 99% of the time it's new glass. Lamiglas (2 different glass blank series), Steffan Brothers, Mike McFarland, now Tom Morgan is going to be selling glass blanks. There's Riffle, T.L. Johnson, Harnell is rumored to be getting back into the business and then you have the Japanese. More to choose from there.
    If I build a rod, like the last one I did, I'd have to get $500 for it. Just because of the labor intensive work on the finish. I've always done it as a hobby. For me and Joni (and close friends and relatives.) If you want pm me and I'll be happy to discuss it some more with you.
    Alan
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    I'm a glass fan myself... for fresh water anyways
    I've fished the same Lamiglas 4wt for over 30 years, but my Phillipson Eponite Royal and my Wright & McGill Featherlight get a lot of use too

I fish a Meisselback Airex on the W&M, a Medalist on the Lami, and a Bristol on the Phillipson
    You said Phillipson
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

9. Default Re: Introductions

Hi I'm David. I live in Illinois and my favorite fish to fish for is trout but I live in a trout deadzone(and sprint can't do anyhitng about this)

I also like to fish for bass and bluegill. I am not the best trout angler so bass and panfish are like a consolation prize.

I love tying. I am alot better tier than I am at trout fishing, but I am getting better

glassroddr
    Just came across your post -- great to see another Canadian on this board -- interesting you went back to using fiberglas -- it's something I've been thinking about; especially since I saw an old glass rod for sale in used rod section of local fly shop -- Fenwick Ferralite would be my choice too (it's too bad the factory in Niagara Falls is closed down -- used to get some great deals from there on blanks and finishd rods)
    I'm curious about your 50 year old canvas canoe -- what make is it??? -- I would suspect Chestnut or Peterborough -- there's nothing like a wood canvas canoe in my thinking -- I grew up using a 14 ft. Peterborough canvas -- I was fortunate enough to work at a boy's camp (Camp Kandalore) several years ago run by a professor of mine, Kirk Wipper, who had the largest collection of canoes and kayaks in the world -- it's now housed in Peterborough as the Canadian Canoe Museum -- being at Kandalore I was very fortunate to paddle some very fine old canoes -- even to meet Bill Mason who loved his Chestnut Prospector -- he was from your neck of the woods
    Cheers,
    Mike
    "Fly fishing is solitary, contemplative, misanthropic, scientific in some hands, poetic in others, and laced with aesthetic considerations. It's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point." -John Gierach

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast