Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6' Fly Rod??

Default 6' Fly Rod??

Many years ago while on a trip to Colorado my wife bought me a travel convertible rod by Diawa, it converts from spinning rod to a fly rod. It is 6' in length. I have several graphite fly rods in various weights and lengths, can I use this convertible rod as a fly rod, more or less as a last resort??

Default Re: 6' Fly Rod??

you can can use a chopstick as a last resort also. Short rods really dont cast any amount of line well. A 6' rod would work on only the smallest and tightest of creeks. I find no use in anything shorter than 7'6".

I have three 6'6" rods that I use often enough
    Perfect in tight spots
    The only rod that I have that's shorter is 4'9" and that rod is too short.

Whetstone Brook 002.jpg
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.Ē --- Horace Kephart

4. Likes Ard, tcorfey liked this post

I would like to be in that place, with that weather right now!

6. Likes Rip Tide, tcorfey, weiliwen liked this post
    Blog Entries

I once made a trip to my cabin to do some work but intending to bring home a couple salmon when I left. When I arrived I discovered that I had left my 13 foot 8 weight rod in the back of my truck. That took some of the fun out of the following couple days but I found an old Ugly Stick with worn ferrules in the fuel shed. The ferrule had to be fastened with Duct Tape so it wouldn't separate so I taped things up.
    When I was on the way home I put a $750 reel with a 55' mid Spey line on that 7 foot Ugly Stick and caught a bunch of fish. You can make any rod work if you have to.

I have a 6'3" five weight graphite, a 6'6" fiberglass and a 6'6" bamboo flea that was a custom order from the Orvis bamboo shop long ago. Either 6 foot rods work and work well or I'm just plain stupid. Where I grew up there are plenty of streams that are too tight for a longer rod, that's why I have the short ones.

The fiberglass and the bamboo aren't comfortable being pushed much past 40 feet or so but the graphite rod will cast as far as needed. You will need to put a reel and line on it and then go give it a go. No one can tell you if you will like it or not and you'll need to figure out which line weight will work best.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

8. Likes cooutlaw, rusty 54, tcorfey, roadkill1948 liked this post

Back in the Ď60s I carried 6í, 7í and 8í Fenwick glass rods at one point. I almost always ended up fishing the 6í in famous Pennsylvania streams like Spring Creek, Big Fishing Creek, Pennís Creek and so on.

I used that short rod for dries, nymphs, streamers and traditional wet flies. I donít remember ever having much of an issue with how far it casted or even with a low back cast. As I remember (of course my memory sucks at 73) it even turned over a 12 foot leader fairly well.

Iíve been tempted a time or two to buy a replacement off of eBay, but I know that I would never really fish it given my other line-up of rods. Actually I stopped fishing the 6í much when I moved to New York. I donít know why but a longer rod felt more comfortable on the Willowemoc and Beaverkill.

Don

10. Likes roadkill1948 liked this post

I have a 6 foot one-piece Cabela's Prime 3-wt. It is the rod I use the most on a small stream near my house. I put a DT line on it and it is perfect for that stream, which has lots of brush and trees and doesn't require super long casts. Now that I think of it, did I read somewhere that LK could cast a whole line using just a tip section?

12. Likes tcorfey, roadkill1948 liked this post

I have a 6'2" 2wt Redington Butterstick that casts just fine if you have a true to weight line on it. I also have a 6' Bamboo rod in 4wt that I can cast overhand to about 50' (maybe more with a haul) and roll cast out to about 40'. No problems with using a 6' rod if that is all you have in my opinion. Yes, I have had Chris Korich take the tip off my 4pc 9' rod in 4wt and cast the whole line (he did have to double haul).

Regards,

Tim C.

I have several short rods. Most of them work well. A couple don't.

Six foot, five weight Cabelas Birch Creek. Nothing special but the heavier line flips over easily. Not much good for a long cast.

LL Bean Streamlight five and half foot, three weight -- almost useless.

The various Cabelas CGR fiberglass rods -- I use the 6 1/2 4 wt all the time on little blue lines. There's a 5'9" 3 wt (I think) and a 6'2" 2 wt (maybe it's the other way around) that are serviceable but for my money the 4 wt hits the spot.

TFO six foot two weight. Not as useless as the LL Bean model above but close.

An odd duck called the "L'il Streamer," made by an outfit called Global Dorber in Flipping, Ark. They don't seem to be around anymore. The Global dorbeR Group, Inc. - Rods & Reels - Equipment / Accessories - Buy & Sell -

It's five and a half feet, five weight, and has a lot of oversized guides. Once you get used to waving around what amounts to a cork-handled tomato stake, it's remarkable what can be done with it.

Note the rods I mention most favorably are weights 4 and 5. There is a misconception, I think, that (small rod + light line) x small stream = success.

I have found that a four or five weight is sufficiently heavy to turn over on a waterload or a bow-and-arrow, or just a lob, and can handle a heavier fly without getting slingshotty. At the same time I can still stick a dry fly where I want without making a fuss.

Just to be ornery, I have taken to sticking a Tenkara rod in my pack on my little blue line adventures -- usually an eight foot Wetfly, but sometimes something longer.

Use what you have and enjoy it. I once taped a reel with 5wt line to one of the yarn lined-practice-learning rods. It actually cast quite well out to 30+ feet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast