Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  251
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Default Re: Are there affordable trout-bum towns left?

@Redrock what did you run road races?

I was all-conference in track & cross country in college D3 but my times aren't elite more like average.

I was 4:17 for 1500m and 28:20 for xc which was 8k; studs ran 26 mins

I used to cycle with a Dutch guy who ran a 2:17 marathon now that's smoking

2. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Hey, at least you got to run in college. Im envious. My career started after I finished school. Like an idiot, I never raced big distances until later in life. Based on my masters times I would have had a better shot at the marathon trials under the old standards.

2:17 wins some cash in the US, at least it used to, and as you know is a B time. I retired from racing and gave up what little sponsorship I had in my late 40s. Kids and women with strollers were starting to beat me!

Im looking at 60 in the not too distant future. If I could somehow motivate myself to really train, lose the weight I gained, and most importantly stay healthy, I think I would like to compete in the National Senior Games. Might take away from my fishing time. We will see.

4. Likes mcnerney, hollisd liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mporter012 View Post
    I've thought about it many times. And it's not just good trout water! Plus good Whitetail hunting. I've been to the Driftless Angler. Great guys and gals there. Why does Wisconsin close the streams 10/15? That's annoying.
    Mostly browns and brookies in those streams, and they start spawning around then. Well, maybe a touch later, but I guess the DNR wants to err on the side of safety.

6. Likes mporter012 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by el jefe View Post
    I believe the quote was: "Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
    And: "The food's terrible, and the portions are too small".

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

8. Likes el jefe liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by cwb124 View Post
    Don't sleep on Idaho. It's about the most affordable state in the country that has decent fly fishing. California however has indeed ruined the Treasure Valley (Boise, Meridian, Eagle, etc). People have been selling their $1m homes in CA and building McMansions for $300k and pocketing the rest and living like kings. But outside that area, it is dirt cheap and taxes are even cheaper. You could bum around Stanley pretty cheap and have access to a pile of freestone streams. You could head more north and bum around the norther streams like the St. Joe, Kelly, Clearwater, etc. You could head east and live cheap within 20 mins of Yellowstone and Henry's Fork area. Lots of options in Idaho. I miss that state so damn much.
    Boise is well on it's way to becoming the next Portland. Median range $350 K. We finally got the place livable with a Jersey Mikes' and decent pizza and now every time I drive somewhere I'm grinding my teeth. I'd cop to being more crotchety these days, but this **** ain't all me. The city gov't is busy converting 33% of the traffic lanes for the .01%... who don't pay for them. Pretty soon the mayor will have his toy train to nowhere up and running.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey

Quote Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
    Boise is well on it's way to becoming the next Portland. Median range $350 K. We finally got the place livable with a Jersey Mikes' and decent pizza and now every time I drive somewhere I'm grinding my teeth. I'd cop to being more crotchety these days, but this **** ain't all me. The city gov't is busy converting 33% of the traffic lanes for the .01%... who don't pay for them. Pretty soon the mayor will have his toy train to nowhere up and running.
    Please don't do what New Mexico and Albuquerque have done, with the Railrunner train and ART (Albuquerque Rapid Transit), respectively. The Railrunner is a bigger cash drain by operating than if they shut it down and just serviced the debt. And ART is a bus system that removed lanes of traffic, and a couple of years later has no buses for its dedicated bus lanes, and still we await the balance of the Federal grant for the project. What a bunch of idiots. It's like we're trying to one-up California...and winning!!

11. Likes mka, karstopo liked this post

I grew up in abject poverty where a busted tire or dead battery was a major disaster.

I love to fish and hunt too much, more than most.

However, I would be terrified if my wife said, "Honey, we're low on food,"

This fantasy is for those with trust funds or some other safety net (usually inheritance).
    Last edited by jwdow; 02-12-2019 at 11:05 AM.
    One breath of juniper smoke, like the perfume of sagebrush after rain, evokes in magical catalysis, like certain music, the space and light and clarity and piercing strangeness of the American West. Long may it burn.
    ― Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire

Blog Entries

Mt mporter....
    I do not live in Denmark.
    Residing in Truckee for 30 years.
    It's almost as foreign though.......
    Once a small blue-collar town, now the 1% and trust funders have taken over.
    Gas is pricey because it's extra refined out here. with all the cars, it's a good call.
    Median home is $600.000 and I couldn't put that together back in 1992, at $110.000.
    A burger is $13.00, without fries. A beer at the resort is $12.00....
    Tahoe is beautiful and fun, but done. For at least 20 years I have talked about leaving, and I have looked at ID. CO. MT....etc etc....I should have done NZ. or Chile long ago.
    Personally, I never wanted a "normal" life...most folks I know that jump through all the hoops of life are mostly unhappy with the grind. When I worked for the newspaper, I saw a lot of "lives of quiet desperation"......and I realized it wasn't for me.
    I found after many attempts at office, factory, or other kinds of work, including as a General contractor, climbing instructor/guide and a sports store part owner, and heavy equipment operator, among others, that the part of life that suited me well was guiding fly folks.
    Since I know the water here as well as anyone and my studies of T Ed in college, and Journalism, I cover more than a few bases that are important to clients.
    One of my competitors started out guiding out of the most expensive golf course and expanded into taking many trips away from long time locals. He has a house and twins, how do you do that from zero? Dad maybe? And your wife has a real job.....
    Anyway, I soldier on until the final case of cobble wobbles kicks in.
    Fishers that think about fly fishing as a hobby or a gentile pastime don't have the whole picture......just an echo of the landed gentry walking the water.....
    The only ones that grasp the difficulty of commitment are the ones that live it.
    And that won't be easy no matter where you do it, or what you do. I could work a day job and fish on weekends...or fish everyday, and work nights in a howling blizzard.
    So, no, it's not Denmark (we get more snow), and we speak English without an accent too, Bro.......
    Are there inexpensive trout towns for a "Trout Bum"? Maybe, but you will still have to get some game, because others are ahead of you........and some have game. Life's an adventure, are you going for it?

Jim
    Last edited by Bigfly; 02-12-2019 at 01:20 PM.
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

14. Likes mcnerney, bocast liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
    Yeah I've heard the traffic is horrible now. If I was still there I would have to commute from S. Boise up Eagle Rd every day. Lord help me. Every year I go back and fish and the traffic and build-up is crazy. But you can live outside that area and do well on a little money and be in the thick of arguably some of the best freestone streams in the country.

16. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  17. Default Re: Are there affordable trout-bum towns left?

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    You made money running? Well, at least you got paid for it...
    That made me laugh.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast