Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  277
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
  1. Default Re: Are there affordable trout-bum towns left?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Ha! With all due and genuine respect for John Gierach and his writing, there were self described and genuine "trout bums" and trout bum camps spread about Montana and Idaho at least as early as my first venturing there in 1969. Some of those anglers went on to become guides, fly shop owners, working with major tackle companies, writers and artists and some died in abject poverty but happy. I don't personally know of any who went on to become stock brokers and such. I did tent camp and fish with these men but was not a bum, I had a credit card and, when the weather turned cold, I drove back East to civilization.
    Wonderful. One has to wonder if the cost of living has gotten high enough throughout the country that it's now at odds with dirt-baggery. Yvon Chouinard has said before that all that great climbing in the valley that happened in the 60s happened largely because **** was cheap. You could buy a car for a couple hundred and live in the van. You can probably still do it, but ONLY if you avoid the the indentured servitude of higher education. To any 17 year old feeling the urge: don't sign the dotted line.

2. Likes Bigfly liked this post
  3. Default Re: Are there affordable trout-bum towns left?

Quote Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
    And: "The food's terrible, and the portions are too small".
    Annie Hall? I know it's Woody Allen.

Default Re: Are there affordable trout-bum towns left?

And the photograph on the cover of this, his first book, I shot while tent camping along the river.

Sex, Death and Fly Fishing.jpg

307 Temporary Redirect

I found an affordable home for you in a trout friendly western town. I could find one in Maupin OR, too, but no burrito bus...

6. Likes lightline liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el jefe View Post
    Please don't do what New Mexico and Albuquerque have done, with the Railrunner train and ART (Albuquerque Rapid Transit), respectively. The Railrunner is a bigger cash drain by operating than if they shut it down and just serviced the debt. And ART is a bus system that removed lanes of traffic, and a couple of years later has no buses for its dedicated bus lanes, and still we await the balance of the Federal grant for the project. What a bunch of idiots. It's like we're trying to one-up California...and winning!!
    New Mexico has really nothing like the massive wealth production of a Silicon Valley that helps to keep California rolling along in spite of the high tax burden.

Does New Mexico have trout bums or potential trout bum towns?
    Wherever you go, there you are.

Blog Entries

I lived for a few years in Santa Fe NM. and it reminded me of Santa Barbra CA. Plenty of rich on the hill, and those lesser folks down below.......the scene was being seen.....
    Anyway not enough water there to keep me happy. Although hiking down into the Rio Grande Gorge was a very cool adventure. White rock area was nice but a funny feel.....Los Alamos is there, right next to Anasazi cliff dwellings.....
    A few little streams around but not many big fish....unless you go to the San Juan.....that was kinda fun, but too many folks on it, and the fishing once I figured it out wasn't as tasking as I'd like. A few unspoken (and lets keep it that way) towns up near CO./NM state line has some nice country, but it will be hard to get the locals to like you.....because they aren't looking for people to move there so they have to compete with you to make a go of it.

Jim
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

9. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530, mka liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    307 Temporary Redirect

I found an affordable home for you in a trout friendly western town. I could find one in Maupin OR, too, but no burrito bus...
    102 years old and still standing!

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    Just what is a trout bum, anyway? I've never thought of myself as one, but I know people that proclaim to be one, and they fish less than I do. My eyes roll back, when I hear the term...
    It's when your fly rod is more expensive than your carAre there affordable trout-bum towns left?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

12. Likes dillon, bocast, brook rookie, mka, Bigfly, Nix liked this post
    Northwest New Jersey, Big Flatbrook right over the hill

When I used to hunt and fish in Sullivan County, PA we would go to the bar in Dushore for a beer and people would cheer and raise their glass every 3 minutes or so for no apparent reason. Or so I thought. Apparently right outside the bar was a traffic light and every time it changes someone would cheer etc. I was told it was the only traffic light in Sullivan County. Pretty amusing!

14. Likes Rip Tide, ejsell, dillon, hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
    I lived for a few years in Santa Fe NM. and it reminded me of Santa Barbra CA. Plenty of rich on the hill, and those lesser folks down below.......the scene was being seen.....
    Anyway not enough water there to keep me happy. Although hiking down into the Rio Grande Gorge was a very cool adventure. White rock area was nice but a funny feel.....Los Alamos is there, right next to Anasazi cliff dwellings.....
    A few little streams around but not many big fish....unless you go to the San Juan.....that was kinda fun, but too many folks on it, and the fishing once I figured it out wasn't as tasking as I'd like. A few unspoken (and lets keep it that way) towns up near CO./NM state line has some nice country, but it will be hard to get the locals to like you.....because they aren't looking for people to move there so they have to compete with you to make a go of it.

Jim
    I went to high school in Santa Barbara. Class of 1960. I lived on the lower section if you can call anything in SB as lower section. All the movie stars were up in Montecito and Hope Ranch. Nice town but lousy fishing if you didn't want to fish salt water. Gas was cheap and I drove a lot to find trout.
    Last edited by old timer; 02-18-2019 at 02:31 PM.

16. Likes mcnerney, Bigfly liked this post
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast