Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  277
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Default Re: Are there affordable trout-bum towns left?

We grew up and raised our families in Wy and Mt, it’s easy to find the ‘Trout Bum’ towns just google research for high taxes, gun control, LBGTQ pride parades, illegal alien amnesty declarations, dope tourism etc etc etc and if your still confused just watch for the tail lights of the native folks leaving.

What is a ‘Trout Bum’ anyway? I don’t think I knew a single adult male growing up that didn’t fly fish. Not really ‘Bums’ though, they were commonly seen with with waders over work or school clothes on the rivers in the evening.

I guess I always thought of a "Trout Bum" as being like a "Ski Bum", a person who would set aside a family and career to do whatever it took to go skiing/fishing, perhaps then turning that passion into a career. These "Bums" would take up seasonal work to get an employee discount while gathering together a little money for gas and tippet. The menu was always ramen noodles and trout....or trout and ramen noodles.

"Trout Bum" seems more like a state of mind than a place. As far as I'm concerned, if you aren't living out of your van or RV, chasing down the next hatch or open water, you probably aren't a trout bum.
    Tight lines!

3. Thanks rfb700 thanked for this post
    Likes Joey Bagels, cooutlaw, el jefe, mcnerney liked this post

‘Trout Bum’ towns just google research for high taxes, gun control, LBGTQ pride parades, illegal alien amnesty declarations, dope tourism'...aztrouter

You may be confusing the RV dwelling fish-not-work life style with the work in finance-buy a western ranchette, gentrification process. Two different kinds of 'bums'. Either one might be an LBGTQ illegal alien who smokes dope and has no gun...but neither one of them wants to pay taxes.

5. Likes Joey Bagels liked this post

Not wanting to pay taxes has nothing to do with being a trout bum .
    Thread Killer

7. Likes Joey Bagels liked this post

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread

I'll say it again. It's hard to be a bum if you're working and worse if you have a family.

A bum can't be that responsible.

10. Likes mcnerney, Joey Bagels liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    ‘Trout Bum’ towns just google research for high taxes, gun control, LBGTQ pride parades, illegal alien amnesty declarations, dope tourism'...aztrouter

You may be confusing the RV dwelling fish-not-work life style with the work in finance-buy a western ranchette, gentrification process. Two different kinds of 'bums'. Either one might be an LBGTQ illegal alien who smokes dope and has no gun...but neither one of them wants to pay taxes.
    I don’t really come here for political discussion haha....so this is it for me and then I’m out of this thread ��

I was talking about the liberals who flee to mountain west towns to ‘escape’ their liberal hives and work three shifts a day instituting the same policies that fouled their beds previously. Towns like Boulder and Bozeman and lots of others come to mind.

I’ve done my share of ‘Trout Bumming’ and still do. I think of ‘Trout Bumming’ as spartan, low budget ‘destination fishing’. I still pack my old Jeep with a camp box and head out for a few days in the mountains or borrow my wife’s Xterra and head off to the Juan or Lees for a couple days, putting down the seats and rolling out a sleeping pad for the night. We have outstanding backcountry fishing in AZ, but I ain’t talking �� We annually take off back to MT, ID and WY in same fashion except with fishing rafts, drift boats and a month of time on our hands. Standard practice to pull into a put in late, sleep next the truck be rigged at first light and two hours ahead of the guides. Traveling light being ready to burn 200 miles after the boats are on the trailers to a rumor of good hatches somewhere else, repeat, repeat and repeat till we get enough.

When I hear ‘about Trout Bum’ towns I think of the lost towns of my youth (I’m 53) and their ‘new’ cultural norms. Not of hard fishing, road tripping, low drag focused fishing expeditions of bearded, smelly men, and young men when it was deemed they could handle it, that used to be considered ‘Trout Bumming’.

My dad saw it coming he had two stickers on his truck ‘Welcome to WY Enjoy Your Stay-Now Go Home’ and ‘F@&K John Denver’.

AZ, If you read my posts on this Forum you will not find much politicking on my part unless it is about fishing tackle companies. I'm more of your dad's generation and will tell you that back in the late 60's neither Boulder nor Bozeman were anything close to Trout Bum towns. I am a responsible citizen, no bum, but at my grey bearded age still tent camp for extended periods along great trout rivers, cooking and drinking in camp and loving it.

It is you who responded politicly inappropriately in this for-fun thread. You may not be in harmony with socio-cultural progressions in American cities, towns and country locals and most of us are somewhat mixed on these evolutions too...hence the unhealthy, un-American divisions sprouting up in our Nation.

It may well be there are and never really were "Trout Bum" towns but there surely were and continue to be, to a lesser degree, trout bum-like lifestyles. Visit free or Forest Service camping areas adjacent to some of the great rivers of Idaho and Montana and one will find anglers of varied ages and backgrounds thriving in tent or camper rig sharing in common a passion for absorbing themselves in fly fishing for wild trout, often far away from the newspapers, internet and TVs back where they spend their off-season.

13. Likes moucheur2003, jbcissell liked this post

We aren’t too far apart, except our definitions of ‘progression’ haha

#2). Your idea of a blind date involves meeting a woman at a boat launch.

Signs that You Might be a Trout Bum - You Might be a Trout Bum If..

16. Likes mka liked this post
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast