Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  306
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Are there affordable trout-bum towns left?

I saw this video on Moldy Chum and immediately thought of Old_timer even though it is based in Salida, not Buena Vista, CO.

Larry

2. Likes cpiercem, ejsell liked this post

Excellent. Salida is 30 miles south of me. It's more crowded than my area but good fishing. I usually fish from my town north 30 miles up to Leadville. I never ever go south. So, I have a good 30 miles to fish. It's more in the mountains than Salida.

It's all good though. The Arkansas River is a great river to fish. Lots of healthy natural browns. Browns are never stocked.

Thanks for posting.

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I have followed this thread off and on with interest since it started. I did not re-read all the posts before posting this; apologies if it seems repetitive.

My wife and i have the good fortune to own a house near West Yellowstone where we spend as much time as can each year. I thot West Yellowstone, Trout Bum Town? Nah. Way too many touristas, and too many fishers too for that matter. It has at least 5 fly shops that have been there on the order of 30+ years. So, maybe 30-40 years ago West Yellowstone was a Trout Bum town--certainly not today We also fish a good bit on the Henry's Fork--and Last Chance ID is an arguable Trout Bum town. You decide.

Here are a couple ideas that popped into my head: Ft. Smith MT, outiftting center for teh Big Horn, 3 flyshops i think, and fishing appears to be the direct or indirect source of all commercd there. Cascade MT, on the Mo, one fly shop I think, and a quaint little town too. I fished both places last year, but dont really know either one well. Would be interested in how others see those two.

6. Likes mcnerney, ejsell liked this post
    Southeastern Ontario, Canada (armpit of the trout fishing universe)

Quote Originally Posted by old timer View Post
    Excellent. Salida is 30 miles south of me. It's more crowded than my area but good fishing. I usually fish from my town north 30 miles up to Leadville. I never ever go south. So, I have a good 30 miles to fish. It's more in the mountains than Salida.

It's all good though. The Arkansas River is a great river to fish. Lots of healthy natural browns. Browns are never stocked.

Thanks for posting.
    Nothing to add except Salida is crowded these days? I went to high school in Colorado Springs and we used to go up and play Salida and Beuna Vista High Schools and it was pretty empty in the 70s. I guess things have really changed.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Compared to BV it is. Especially, the fishing.

Southeastern Ontario, Canada (armpit of the trout fishing universe)

Quote Originally Posted by old timer View Post
    Compared to BV it is. Especially, the fishing.
    I get the feeling I would be shocked if I ever went back. What's the expression, you can never enter the same river twice.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I don't live in a trout fishing town but I own 1/6 of a river front house in Maupin on the banks of the Deschutes river. I get the place a week at a time every six weeks. I wouldn't want to live there full time or in any other so called trout bum town. I like where I live just fine and like to travel to fish. The time we spend in Idaho and Montana is when I want to be there. The rest of the year doesn't interest me much. Frankly, if one really wants to fish all the time, I think the best way to go is with an RV to live in so you can go where the fishing suits you year round. BTW, one of the owners of my Maupin house wants to sell his share. Shoot me a pm if you have any interest.

12. Likes el jefe, jangles, mcnerney liked this post
  13. Default Re: Are there affordable trout-bum towns left?

I was glad to see the Driftless Area mentioned. It's in SE MN, SW Wisc, NE Iowa and a little bit of IL. Wisc is hindered by the amount of private land. There are many small towns in MN and Iowa that are very, very affordible and would welcome you. Preston MN is the home of the National Trout Center, near Forestville St Pk (great camping) providing access to the Root, and the bowling alley serves a very good breakfast. Near bye is Lanesboro, a B & B town with a couple of excellent restaurants. Rochester MN is near with the Mayo Clinic and other services. No mountains, but more stream creeks than you could fish in a lifetime.

14. Likes mcnerney, cpiercem liked this post
    Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wyoming at different times of the year .

Quote Originally Posted by alligator View Post
    I was glad to see the Driftless Area mentioned. It's in SE MN, SW Wisc, NE Iowa and a little bit of IL. Wisc is hindered by the amount of private land. There are many small towns in MN and Iowa that are very, very affordible and would welcome you. Preston MN is the home of the National Trout Center, near Forestville St Pk (great camping) providing access to the Root, and the bowling alley serves a very good breakfast. Near bye is Lanesboro, a B & B town with a couple of excellent restaurants. Rochester MN is near with the Mayo Clinic and other services. No mountains, but more stream creeks than you could fish in a lifetime.
    I beg to differ on the welcoming part . Those people around Highlandville are very cliquey and don't like outsiders all that much . After having the keys to a cabin there for 15yrs they just barely tolerate me and the other 2 key owners . I don't bother going there much anymore as I live a world apart from there and there is better fishing out this way .
    Ron Zimmerman

Driving a 52 Chevy in a Cadillac lane on my way to a river near you .

Don't forget your duct tape , Red Green

Thread Killer

16. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Lots of affordable lake or riverfront cabins up in the British Columbia area.
    BUT, you really need to do your research as to flooding and land erosion before jumping in. Even a small creek running through your land can easily turn into a torrent river during the spring runoff and ruin your dream getaway.
    Here are some great resource sites for finding stuff:
    Realtor.ca (Canada)
    Realtor.com (USA)

18. Likes mcnerney liked this post
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516