Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  251
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Are there affordable trout-bum towns left?

Just what is a trout bum, anyway? I've never thought of myself as one, but I know people that proclaim to be one, and they fish less than I do. My eyes roll back, when I hear the term...

Quote Originally Posted by yikes View Post
    Is it just me, or is Rip Tide's writing starting to sound more and more like Fred A Evans?
    Well thank-you! That's high praise right there

I've lived a mis-spent adulthood.
    There was a period of at least 15 years when I had no regular full time job and fished 5 days a week.
    Mostly trout, but I didn't limit myself so maybe "troutbum" wouldn't be accurate.

Anyway, whenever someone laments, or even more likely brags about how expensive fly fishing is, I have to call BULLSH1T
    I generally spend less on a fishing trip than I might at home. I'm fishing for gosh sakes not shopping.
    No one needs a thousand dollar rod and you definitely can forgo luxury accommodations.
    My truck repair anecdote was meant to illustrate that the areas that I'm likely to fish tend to be more rural and laid back rather than hip and well publicised
    Not hard to do.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Don't sleep on Idaho. It's about the most affordable state in the country that has decent fly fishing. California however has indeed ruined the Treasure Valley (Boise, Meridian, Eagle, etc). People have been selling their $1m homes in CA and building McMansions for $300k and pocketing the rest and living like kings. But outside that area, it is dirt cheap and taxes are even cheaper. You could bum around Stanley pretty cheap and have access to a pile of freestone streams. You could head more north and bum around the norther streams like the St. Joe, Kelly, Clearwater, etc. You could head east and live cheap within 20 mins of Yellowstone and Henry's Fork area. Lots of options in Idaho. I miss that state so damn much.

4. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530, mporter012 liked this post

I was under the impression that there weren't any more trout in Idaho.

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    Just what is a trout bum, anyway? I've never thought of myself as one, but I know people that proclaim to be one, and they fish less than I do. My eyes roll back, when I hear the term...
    ...for me, by definition it wouldn’t involve worrying about home ownership
    But would involve no full-time gainful employment or permanent residence, living out a van or tent and earning some $ every now and then as you travel the country fishing in your stinky van.

Owning a house in a ‘trout’ town would be grand, but that’s very much a trout lifestyle choice well above the ‘bum’ level
    Last edited by boisker; 02-07-2019 at 01:29 PM.

7. Likes dillon, mcnerney, hairwing530, mporter012 liked this post

Serious question, how does the trout fishing in Wyoming compare to Montana?

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    I was under the impression that there weren't any more trout in Idaho.
    I understand many of the freestones teem with cutthroat.

There are lots of places... as long as you don't mind 6 months of winter
    Danny

11. Likes cpiercem, hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by boisker View Post
    ...for me, by definition it wouldn’t involve worrying about home ownership
    But would involve no full-time gainful employment or permanent residence, living out a van or tent and earning some $ every now and then as you travel the country fishing in your stinky van.

Owning a house in a ‘trout’ town would be grand, but that’s very much a trout lifestyle choice well above the ‘bum’ level
    I agree. Returning to lodging with indoor plumbing, does not fit with a bum lifestyle. Even using it while camping seems like cheating. It's just some of the modern day over used fly fishing jargon that exists. Do bums even have computers...

13. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530 liked this post

Viroqua, Wisconsin. The Heart of the Driftless Area. Every valley has a stream (spring-fed), every stream has browns, and brookies, and some have rainbows. Dirt cheap, as it's in the poorest county in Wisconsin. Season runs from the first Saturday in January (if you're up to it) and ends October 15. It's even got a fly shop, The Driftless Angler, in the center of town. There are all sorts of bums, many of them trout bums, around there. Bring your 4-weights and Pink Squirrels.

15. Likes mcnerney, cpiercem, hairwing530 liked this post
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast