Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  251
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Are there affordable trout-bum towns left?

Quote Originally Posted by hollisd View Post
    Serious question, how does the trout fishing in Wyoming compare to Montana?
    Well, since all of the trout in Idaho moved to Wyoming, they've got plenty. I wouldn't bother with Montana any longer.

2. Likes mcnerney, cpiercem, hairwing530 liked this post

Chili. Anywhere you want. Argentina would be next, followed by maybe Portugal and Spain and then France.
    My best vacation is your worst nightmare. After all, it's only really fun if it is at least Type 2 fun.

4. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    Just what is a trout bum, anyway? I've never thought of myself as one, but I know people that proclaim to be one, and they fish less than I do. My eyes roll back, when I hear the term...
    Had a buddy that was client service manager for a bank after college, his dog passed away and he had enough of the corporate life and picked up his stuff and drove to Craig, MT. Grew the longest beard I've ever seen and literally woke up every single morning and fished the Missouri for about 2 years. No job, no responsibilities, but blew through his savings and finally after a couple years had to find a job. To this day he says it was one of the best decisions hes made.

Quote Originally Posted by jds108 View Post
    I wouldn't bother with Montana any longer.
    I concur with this statement. Unreal how many people continue to flood in every year.

6. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by satyr View Post
    Chili. Anywhere you want. Argentina would be next, followed by maybe Portugal and Spain and then France.
    At this time, Siberian Russia likely has a few towns that are affordable, and you can fish for Taimen and salmon. Viroqua WI has no trout and is not a real trout bum kind of place, only cheeseheads are allowed. SR

Just what is a trout bum, anyway? I've never thought of myself as one, but I know people that proclaim to be one, and they fish less than I do. My eyes roll back, when I hear the term...
    I'm sure you've read it, but this is from Mr. Lafontaine's foreward in the book with the title that coined the phrase.

What it's not: "No one under the age of thirty qualifies as a trout bum. The whippersnapper living along the stream, or travelling from river to river, isn't a bum because he isn't committed to a way of life--he's on an adventure. He hasn't actually rejected such encumbrances as a wife, children, and a house payment. He just hasn't got around to considering them yet." I've loved those last two sentences since the day I first read it.

What it is: "But the 30- or 40-year old man (or of course woman) who commercially ties just enough flies, guides just enough clients, or sweeps just enough floors so that he can spend the rest of his hours on the water is a derelict in the eyes of the world who should confess his sins. Better yet, he should put that confession into writing so that the rest of us can cluck over his misspent life.

As to the original question, there are still some small western towns near great trout fishing if you are independently wealthy, or can earn income from home. I haven't figured out either yet.

I manage to survive on my Social Security check. Nobody to answer to and I do what I want.

That's about as much of a bum as I can get.

10. Likes mcnerney, Redrock, hairwing530, Bigfly liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Redrock View Post
    I vote for living in a van down by the river.

Don’t stop in Dillon. The Beaverhead and Big Hole suck.
    Actually the entire state sucks.. please focus on Wyoming...no income tax and very affordable...and teeming with attractive women..

12. Likes cpiercem, hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by perryk View Post
    Actually the entire state sucks.. please focus on Wyoming...no income tax and very affordable...and teeming with attractive women..
    Perry: The only problem is that Wyoming has no trout and please show me where all this attractive women are!
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Perry: The only problem is that Wyoming has no trout and please show me where all this attractive women are!
    My buddy thinks the lady who runs the little hotel on Pine Creek is pretty cute.

15. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I hear that!

I never have called myself that but I did manage to remain single until I was 50. I went into what most would call semi retirement at age 38 and spent what I would call the bulk of my life traveling - camping and fishing.

Trout towns? Fishing is something that is in the heart, the mind, the bone marrow. If you are a real fly fisherman (and I don't mean bobbers) you could live anywhere in this country and it's a trout town where you are.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

17. Likes chechem, hairwing530, cpiercem, rsagebrush liked this post
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast