Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  251
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Are there affordable trout-bum towns left?

I know the thread's topic is western towns, this is just an example of geographical location.

My house in Hudsonville Michigan maybe 170K selling value with several warmwater and coldwater fishing spots from 7 minutes to 1 hour from my home.

My home in Gaithersburg Maryland where my daughter and her family live-500K, fishing opportunities unknown.

Denny

2. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530 liked this post

Not sure you can be a trout bum if you have a job. I think a wife might disqualify you too unless she was a trout bum too.

Can you go fishing anytime you want without telling anybody? A trout bum would have no problem answering yes to those questions.

Do you fish at least 250 days a year? Could it be 365 days a year if you wanted to?

4. Likes dennyk, cooutlaw, mcnerney, hairwing530, ejsell liked this post

This whole thread, while amusing, reminds me of one of Yogi Berra’s famous sayings about a particular restaurant. The restaurant used to be really good, but everybody goes there now. The problem is that if you do live in a nifty, affordable trout fishing town, advertising it, getting more people to come, etc., will eventually ruin it. So, my suggestion is that everyone should move to Pinedale, Wyoming. The Midwest has no fish or affordable towns and the air is stank. Stay west and enjoy the best. SR

6. Likes mcnerney, dennyk, hairwing530, ejsell liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by old timer View Post
    Not sure you can be a trout bum if you have a job. I think a wife might disqualify you too unless she was a trout bum too.

Can you go fishing anytime you want without telling anybody? A trout bum would have no problem answering yes to those questions.

Do you fish at least 250 days a year? Could it be 365 days a year if you wanted to?
    If you can fish 365 days a year you are a better bum than I. I've tried for 10 years without success.
    Part of the reason I work grave shifts on a snow plow is to have my days free to guide and fish or shovel. The other reason is, I love being out in the shite in the night.....These conversations about the fantasy fishing life are always amusing to the folks actually living it. I can say it's not for the faint of heart. 3 weeks ago I booked a trip for yesterday, it fit in between the last storm and the next....feeling the force! Several weeks without a day or night off......is what we give for a special life.
    I don't think it's practical to live an hour from water. At $3.99 per gallon, I want to be closer, in fact I want to hear water when I sleep (My therapy). As far as going fishing without telling anyone (which is normal for me)......but don't make a mistake in winter....36 deg water will get ya.

Jim
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

8. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
    If you can fish 365 days a year you are a better bum than I. I've tried for 10 years without success.
    Part of the reason I work grave shifts on a snow plow is to have my days free to guide and fish or shovel. The other reason is, I love being out in the shite in the night.....These conversations about the fantasy fishing life are always amusing to the folks actually living it. I can say it's not for the faint of heart. 3 weeks ago I booked a trip for yesterday, it fit in between the last storm and the next....feeling the force! Several weeks without a day or night off......is what we give for a special life.
    I don't think it's practical to live an hour from water. At $3.99 per gallon, I want to be closer, in fact I want to hear water when I sleep (My therapy). As far as going fishing without telling anyone (which is normal for me)......but don't make a mistake in winter....36 deg water will get ya.

Jim
    Yikes! $3.99 per gallon......you gotta love CA! We are at $2.35 here in Pinedale, WY, but then there are always tradeoffs, this morning we were at minus 19 degrees.
    Larry

10. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I've read the electric vehicles are getting better and better. Seems like there's some hydrogen fuel cell ones coming along. $3.99 for gas is tough. The world runs on energy, hate the costs, though.

I'm surprised there aren't more unheard of towns being mentioned out in the mountains...unless folks are keeping their gems hidden.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

12. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530, ejsell liked this post

What a ripoff California is on gas. I live in a mountain town and gas is higher here and it's only $2.29. I'm only 1/4 mi from the river, so I don't burn much. 5 min to elk hunting and 2 min to good creek fishing.

14. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

It all works out....our pay is higher.
    Fewer Bubba's too.......
    Not sure I could live in a town where there's houses with a bunch of cars in the yard, and TV is the only culture.
    We have a lot of water to fish, and serious mountains to play in, so I'll make do.
    And, if there is a place.....and you post it here, you should have your tung and all fingers removed to prevent more idiocy.

Jim

16. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530, rsagebrush, cab liked this post

I lived in California for 40 years. It has its share of Bubba's.

I was glad to get out of there and breath fresh air for a change.

18. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530, dennyk liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by old timer View Post
    I lived in California for 40 years. It has its share of Bubba's.

I was glad to get out of there and breath fresh air for a change.
    True enough, but they aren't in a ski town. And air's pretty fresh at 6000ft and above.

Jim
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

20. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530 liked this post
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast