Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  251
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
  1. Default Re: Are there affordable trout-bum towns left?

Quote Originally Posted by weiliwen View Post
    Viroqua, Wisconsin. The Heart of the Driftless Area. Every valley has a stream (spring-fed), every stream has browns, and brookies, and some have rainbows. Dirt cheap, as it's in the poorest county in Wisconsin. Season runs from the first Saturday in January (if you're up to it) and ends October 15. It's even got a fly shop, The Driftless Angler, in the center of town. There are all sorts of bums, many of them trout bums, around there. Bring your 4-weights and Pink Squirrels.
    I've thought about it many times. And it's not just good trout water! Plus good Whitetail hunting. I've been to the Driftless Angler. Great guys and gals there. Why does Wisconsin close the streams 10/15? That's annoying.

2. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530 liked this post

Default Re: Are there affordable trout-bum towns left?

Quote Originally Posted by mporter012 View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think the term was popularized by Gierach's 86 book TROUT BUM. I could be wrong.
    A better question would be , why do the cops stop oosers for going 51 in a 50 mph zone ? Happened twice ( going 1 mph over )in Wisc to me .
    Thread Killer

4. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  5. Default Re: Are there affordable trout-bum towns left?

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    I know the thread's topic is western towns, this is just an example of geographical location.

My house in Hudsonville Michigan maybe 170K selling value with several warmwater and coldwater fishing spots from 7 minutes to 1 hour from my home.

My home in Gaithersburg Maryland where my daughter and her family live-500K, fishing opportunities unknown.

Denny
    Oh Michigan. The trouble in Michigan is keeping your wits and sanity once the clouds move in about mid-October. I lived in Chicago a few years, and the thoughts of insanity by mid-March due to plummeting vitamin D levels had me running for the sunshine. Point taken though. IF you want cheap and anadromous fish, it probably comes with unbearably **** weather.

6. Likes myt1, dennyk, mcnerney liked this post
  7. Default Re: Are there affordable trout-bum towns left?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
    If you can fish 365 days a year you are a better bum than I. I've tried for 10 years without success.
    Part of the reason I work grave shifts on a snow plow is to have my days free to guide and fish or shovel. The other reason is, I love being out in the shite in the night.....These conversations about the fantasy fishing life are always amusing to the folks actually living it. I can say it's not for the faint of heart. 3 weeks ago I booked a trip for yesterday, it fit in between the last storm and the next....feeling the force! Several weeks without a day or night off......is what we give for a special life.
    I don't think it's practical to live an hour from water. At $3.99 per gallon, I want to be closer, in fact I want to hear water when I sleep (My therapy). As far as going fishing without telling anyone (which is normal for me)......but don't make a mistake in winter....36 deg water will get ya.

Jim
    $3.99 a GALLON?? Good God do you live in Denmark???

8. Likes mcnerney, Bigfly liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by el jefe View Post
    I believe the quote was: "Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
    Thanks for correction. The point is still the same. I think Yogi is right.
    Many people=Poor fishing

10. Likes el jefe, mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by el jefe View Post
    "Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."
    Ain't it the truth. Personally, when it comes to trout fishing, I'm almost more concerned with the crowd off the river than on. Many of the western trout towns have become over devloped, IMO, taking away from their charm and casualness. However, worse yet, there is an increase in the number of traveling nomadic camping anglers. We always used to find our favorite campsites on every blue ribbon stream open and waiting for us. Now, instead of getting camp A we have to take choice B or C. We've sometimes even been hard pressed to find any available space to pitch the tent. last year we skipped one of our favorite tailwaters (I'd name it but its a secret that starts with an M) because it was too high to wade. Oh well, at least i didnt have anxiety about going there without a campsite. Frankly, I wouldnt mind skipping it again this year. I'm also thinking a bout a second trip camping/and floating a remote Alaskan trout stream. The Ilimna guides at a recent show were doing their best sales pitch. Ten pound rainbows on mouse patterns. When i asked about hatches, they said oh yes, green drakes, pmd's and caddis. Hmmm, true story???

12. Thanks srock thanked for this post

I could be wrong, but I think the term was popularized by Gierach's 86 book TROUT BUM. I could be wrong.
    It may well have been used in the industry, but John Gierach is responsible for the description becoming a part of my lexicon.

My father, an ardent open faced pond and river bass fisherman, couldn’t understand my love for cold water and Trout. For a few years he worried I would chunk my career, live off of the change I made running, and move west to fish. To explain my love affair, I gave him a copy of Trout Bum as a birthday present. We shared trout fishing for the rest of his fishing life. I will always have a warm spot for Gierach as a result.

14. Likes ejsell liked this post

You made money running? Well, at least you got paid for it...

Ha! With all due and genuine respect for John Gierach and his writing, there were self described and genuine "trout bums" and trout bum camps spread about Montana and Idaho at least as early as my first venturing there in 1969. Some of those anglers went on to become guides, fly shop owners, working with major tackle companies, writers and artists and some died in abject poverty but happy. I don't personally know of any who went on to become stock brokers and such. I did tent camp and fish with these men but was not a bum, I had a credit card and, when the weather turned cold, I drove back East to civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    You made money running? Well, at least you got paid for it...
    Yep. Not a lot. That’s why I would have been a trout bum. Look around at your major local 5k, 10k races and look at the pot. Add in a part time job, working in a trout shop or something, and I was a trout bum in the making. My father was horrified.

18. Likes mporter012, ejsell liked this post
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast