Are there affordable trout-bum towns left?

mporter012

Reaction score
I moved to Fort Collins last year for a job, and it's a good town. We have great access to the Poudre and Big T. River, but it's not very trout-bum friendly at 450k a house. IS it just me or have all the good fishing towns in the west been developed and yuppified to the extent that one may as well give up hope at finding a nice western town and buy some acreage and get in 150 days a year on the water? The cost of living in the west, is arguably, ruining the west. Or maybe California is just ruining the west. Bozeman is now more expensive than Prague. It's out of control. Maybe the internet is to blame.

One can, of course, live in their van. That's always an option. And maybe that's the purist way.

Food For Thought.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
A couple of years ago while on a fishin' trip, my brakes let go. Broke a line
We limped into town and found a NAPA store
"Hey where can I find someone to take a look at my brakes"
"You should go see 'Chriswhoworksoncars'. He has a garage out behind the trailer park."
He got right to it and worked for about 2 hours. Even paid for the parts.
After he finished up I asked him how much
"Ahh..., how about 40 bucks?" Needless to say he got double that.
We were off with plenty of time left in day.

First stop was here

IMGP0007.jpg

Then here

IMGP0009.jpg

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Fort Collins wasn't a Trout Bum town back when I knew it in the 1970's. Of course, then trout bums used tents not bought houses as, well, fishing changes and we along with it. So, the only way you will find what you are looking for is to get that van, travel about the west until you find what suits you.

silver creek

Reaction score

old timer

Reaction score
I live in a small town of 2200 right on the Arkansas River. Forget getting a job here though. I'm retired.

Half the town are fishing bums and the other half are hunting bums. I'm both.

jds108

Reaction score
I think this is a great question. I'm in Bozeman and understand the cost concerns. I'd simply say that there are many small towns in MT. If the topic comes down to housing prices, those towns with known names and/or right on great water are expensive. The small towns that aren't known and/or right on the water aren't. So much of the answer depends on how far you're willing to drive...

If I had to do it over and didn't have the personal things that made Bozeman a no-brainer, I'd say finding a place in/near Helena would be my number one choice. I don't want to live in a town so small that there isn't a Costco, Target, and the like though, so everybody's going to have different preferences.

gutterpunk

Reaction score
As a Bozeman homeowner, yes I'm part of the problem. Philipsburg was mentioned--but i won't mention any towns here. Though the short answer is yes--while they are becoming more rare "affordable" trout towns still exist.

Redrock

Reaction score
I vote for living in a van down by the river.

Don’t stop in Dillon. The Beaverhead and Big Hole suck.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
Fort Collins is a College town, now becoming a tech/manufacturing town, definitely not a trout bum town.

FC is not at all a bad place, and it's a TON cheaper living than in the Denver Metro area.

$450K in Denver area will get you a condo, townhome, or a basic 12-1400sq ft. entry level starter home but you better hurry because 20 others will be bidding over asking price on anything below $500K.

My better half is in real estate and I see it live and in color every day. The median home price in Denver metro area (all cities combined) is $587K as of last month, which is down slightly from the $594K it was in Dec. That price point will get you a basic dated home, needing some work, 2000 sq ft, two car garage, "median" price resale home. New builds are averaging about $325 per sq ft., I looked at selling out and downsizing into a lower maintenance 2700 sq ft ranch style house, 3 car garage, 55+ community, upscale golf course, kind of thing....I was quoted at $945K, before any design center upgrades which would add at least $50K-$75K+. Scarily enough, that was a pretty decent deal and we seriously looked hard at it, but then I figured I'm better off where I am and canned the idea, just didn't think I'd enjoy neighbors that close and would miss my property even with the maintenance aspect. I truly believe, Denver is the LA of the Rockies. If we do ever sell out, it will be to move out of Colorado.

There are still spots around the country that are much less expensive to live and provide fishing and recreation, we actually covered this a bit in another thread here, but the reality is most of the more desirable places come with the associated price tag of living there. The other issue is when will it end, prices keep climbing and every year delayed in making a move, is another x amount tens of thousands of dollars behind the curve, I bought my place roughly 22 years ago, I couldn't begin to purchase it now in today's market. Same holds true for other locations, they aren't getting any cheaper as time goes on and eventually they will likely price you out. Big Sky MT is a prime example....I could have bought a nice place there 20 years ago for $350K, today a similar place there would be $2.5-3.0 million dollars. The scary thing is guessing how long to wait before finding the final homestead desired. The days of multiple home ownership are slipping away too, the demographic of having a primary residence and a vacation or 2nd home is shrinking by the day, a lot of even C-level incomes wont allow that luxury with todays real estate costs. A sad reality actually.

brad1

Reaction score
Or maybe California is just ruining the west.
I’m glad you think so poorly of California, that way you won’t buy a place in Dunsmuir and we won’t see you on the McCloud, the Upper or Lower Sacramento, the Klamath, the Eel or any of the other trout and steelhead rivers within a two hour drive. After all, if all you can take is 150 days of fishing year, you aren’t bum enough for California.

Redrock

Reaction score
Fort Collins is a College town, now becoming a tech/manufacturing town, definitely not a trout bum town.

FC is not at all a bad place, and it's a TON cheaper living than in the Denver Metro area.

$450K in Denver area will get you a condo, townhome, or a basic 12-1400sq ft. entry level starter home but you better hurry because 20 others will be bidding over asking price on anything below $500K.

My better half is in real estate and I see it live and in color every day. The median home price in Denver metro area (all cities combined) is $587K as of last month, which is down slightly from the $594K it was in Dec. That price point will get you a basic dated home, needing some work, 2000 sq ft, two car garage, "median" price resale home. New builds are averaging about $325 per sq ft., I looked at selling out and downsizing into a lower maintenance 2700 sq ft ranch style house, 3 car garage, 55+ community, upscale golf course, kind of thing....I was quoted at $945K, before any design center upgrades which would add at least $50K-$75K+. Scarily enough, that was a pretty decent deal and we seriously looked hard at it, but then I figured I'm better off where I am and canned the idea, just didn't think I'd enjoy neighbors that close and would miss my property even with the maintenance aspect. I truly believe, Denver is the LA of the Rockies. If we do ever sell out, it will be to move out of Colorado.

There are still spots around the country that are much less expensive to live and provide fishing and recreation, we actually covered this a bit in another thread here, but the reality is most of the more desirable places come with the associated price tag of living there. The other issue is when will it end, prices keep climbing and every year delayed in making a move, is another x amount tens of thousands of dollars behind the curve, I bought my place roughly 22 years ago, I couldn't begin to purchase it now in today's market. Same holds true for other locations, they aren't getting any cheaper as time goes on and eventually they will likely price you out. Big Sky MT is a prime example....I could have bought a nice place there 20 years ago for $350K, today a similar place there would be $2.5-3.0 million dollars. The scary thing is guessing how long to wait before finding the final homestead desired. The days of multiple home ownership are slipping away too, the demographic of having a primary residence and a vacation or 2nd home is shrinking by the day, a lot of even C-level incomes wont allow that luxury with todays real estate costs. A sad reality actually.
I pulled the trigger last year on a house and land for the very reasons you discuss. I wanted bare dirt with the idea I would build when I retire. Housing construction costs are exploding in the areas of MT/WY/ID I searched. I could buy the dirt I wanted, but I was worried I would find myself priced out of the new construction market in 5 years. So, I bit the bullet and bought a finished product.

I

ikankecil

Not a "trout town" per se, I live in 80304 (google if housing prices are of interest) and the number of Sprinter vans that are obviously full-time dwellings increases every year. There are known streets where they all seem to park at night, the area closest to the YMCA behind Whole Foods (lower Mappleton) is bumper to bumper every night. Now, why someone with wheels would want to live in Boulder is beyond my comprehension, but the desire to be here is such that my house value goes up every year and my property taxes go up by 20% every time its assessed.

Would I like to sell it and move to "xxxxx", WY?, Absolutely. But, reality gets in the way.

I think the #vanlife people are onto something but my spouse is not in a portable occupation so I sit here in a home that would be cheap in rural Kansas and costs a fortune in CO.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I had 5 different homes in the eastern United States and even today they are more affordable than most western locations. Here in Alaska our home would cost you around 280,000 with 3.5 acres but then you only can fish six months of the year due to weather. If we had this same home in Anchorage with the acreage it would be worth around 700,000 or more because of the land.

I did what has become known as the Trout Bum thing before the book was published or the term made popular. Back then I traveled by motorcycle, slept in my little tent and things were cheap. That was between 1978 and 1988, now day's you find more people and costs are up. The same will be true 40 years from now so you better get to it.

yikes

Reaction score
A couple of years ago while on a fishin' trip, my brakes let go. Broke a line
We limped into town and found a NAPA store
"Hey where can I find someone to take a look at my brakes"
"You should go see 'Chriswhoworksoncars'. He has a garage out behind the trailer park."
He got right to it and worked for about 2 hours. Even paid for the parts.
After he finished up I asked him how much
"Ahh..., how about 40 bucks?" Needless to say he got double that.
We were off with plenty of time left in day.
Is it just me, or is Rip Tide's writing starting to sound more and more like Fred A Evans?

Reaction score
My wife and I looked for a condo in Bozeman for a long time before finding what we wanted with the unobstructed view we wanted. We signed a contract with the developer and paid $5,000 earnest money. It was new construction so we were able to customize many of the finishing as we wanted. When we constantly encountered communication issues and delays I complained to the developer. He told us if we didn’t like it, he would give us double our earnest money back, because he could sell it to someone else for $25k more than We were paying. So I shut up, the place got completed & we really like it.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Yes it’s cheap to sleep in my truck, done so many times every year on steelhead rivers. Camped my way across North America with a fly rod in my hand.

Done that. I prefer a decent hotel or cabin these days. But yeah I still rough it.

Nothing is cheap anymore.

Redrock

Reaction score
Yes it’s cheap to sleep in my truck, done so many times every year on steelhead rivers. Camped my way across North America with a fly rod in my hand.

Done that. I prefer a decent hotel or cabin these days. But yeah I still rough it.

Nothing is cheap anymore.
Yeah, I’m too old for that $#@% too. But, I sort of miss the days of sleeping in the back of the truck parked next to a stream. Truck camping at Madison Junction for the Fall run was a blast. But then again, I used drink golden grain cut with lemonade or any number of cheap beers, because that was all I could afford. And, I’m not drinking golden grain again, ever.