Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Fly rod weight for Bass and Trout and some good starter flies for each species.

I don't have as much experience as a lot of people that you're likely to get feedback from but honestly, I'd just stick with a 5 WT, maybe invest in a little nicer one. I learned on a 7 WT and caught a few smaller brookies and browns but what I noticed instantly is it was very difficult to feel the fish. I have since picked up a 5 WT and have actually contemplated going down to a 3 WT for my trout fishing (I don't target bass). I have caught some smaller trout and it feels half way decent on my 5 WT but like I mentioned for me specifically I think a 3 WT might be my next purchase.

Where you fish for trout and bass and you're looking for a multi-function rod I'd stick with a 5 WT. Also, the WT is more about the type of flies you'll be throwing than anything but feeling the fish on a certain WT definitely comes into play IMO.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fly rod weight for Bass and Trout and some good starter flies for each species.

Hi Jonk and welcome to the forum. The rod weights I use are 3,5,6,7 & 8. If I were to pick 2 for your application it would be the 3 weight for trout and the 7 weight for all around bass fishing. My reason for the 7 weight is that it will allow you to throw larger bugs with less effort.

The given advice on the patterns already listed is solid.

Denny

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12