Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 4 days in August - where please?!

Dear all,

I hope that this is the right part of the forum to post this. I'm a fly fisherman based in the UK, but will find myself in the USA in August for a work trip. I'd like to combine this with a few days fly fishing and am looking for recommendations. I've always fancied doing this in the American West (Montana, Idaho, Wyoming etc...) which looks amazing from both a scenic and fishing perspective. However, I would like to ask your collective and much more knowledgeable opinion too.

Essentially, where would you go for 3 days at that time of the year for great trout fly fishing?

Many thanks in advance and I really look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Steve

2. Likes Ard liked this post

Default Re: 4 days in August - where please?!

What city/cities are you going to for the business trip?

By August some rivers may warm to trout lethal temperatures. Some may even be under hoot owl restrictions where fishing is prohibited or only allowed during certain hours of the day. Therefore, I suggest researching tailwaters that maintain a cool bottom release flow throughout the summer. If you are into Stillwater fishing I'd look for lakes that have abundant cold water springs. Some of them have very good insect hatches in August. Personally, I don't fish much in August due to the heat.

I should have said where i'll be. Chicago. Not super close to Montana etc, I realise, but much closer than where I am now. I'd basically be happy with anywhere up to a 3-4hr flight once I'm in the US.

Fishing - Guided Fly Fishing Madison River | Lodging | Kelly Galloup's Slide Inn

Here is one suggestion in Montana that has rooms, guides and good waters all round and will rent you all the tackle you will need. Good Luck on your trip.

I think I'd fish the Madison too. You can also hit the Gallatin. If you fly into Bozeman you can even fish the Lower Gallatin for browns near Manhattan. These waters will produce fish but make sure it's worth it too.

Fishing a spring creek or private water near Livingston might also be worthwhile.

ORD-BZN on United should be direct which will make your life easier. Simms ads on the gateways will have you grabbing your fly rod out of the overhead bin before the wheels of the plane have come to a full stop.

You could spend a lifetime and not fish all of the Madison but I think that's what I'd do if I wanted to hit Montana.

The Gallatin driving from Big Sky towards Bozeman or up through the valley has pulloffs and you just hop out of your car wherever you fancy tossing a fly. The rainbows aren't huge but the water is productive and it's a brilliant river to fish.

You could also nip into a portion of the Yellowstone outside of the park I believe.

Or swing by Twin Bridges and pick up a Winston / Bauer and christen them on the Big Hole River

Don't go in YNP that time of year do not make that mistake

Just off the top of my head ... have a great trip and be sure to hit Publican Quality Meats in Chi-town

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  9. Default Re: 4 days in August - where please?!

Quote Originally Posted by hollisd View Post

Don't go in YNP that time of year do not make that mistake
    August is typically less crowded that either July or the first half of September in Yellowstone. If the OP wants to wade rather than float and can hike, Yellowstone will be far better than the spring creeks (between hatches in August) and less crowded than the Madison. Hiking is the key. Roadside water in the Lamar Drainage and on the Gallatin probably gets 70% of the park's angling pressure at that time, and hikers on Slough Creek make another 10%. That leaves a heck of a lot of water... It is far more common for us to see no one at all on my hike in trips than to have to fish within 500 yards of others.

OP, my website has a lot of info on the park and the region.
    Owner/Outfitter, Yellowstone Country Fly Fishing
    Author, Yellowstone Country Flies, River Characters, and Fly Fishing Yellowstone Country.

10. Likes mcnerney, k_e_v, mikemac1 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by linc1464 View Post
    I should have said where i'll be. Chicago. Not super close to Montana etc, I realise, but much closer than where I am now. I'd basically be happy with anywhere up to a 3-4hr flight once I'm in the US.
    Seeing that you mentioned Montana in each of your two post, It seems like Montana is on the top of your list of places to visit and fish. Though August isn't the best time of the year as far as fishing goes, you will still find plenty of great water to catch fish. Some of the lower sections of the bigger rivers may have some restrictions, but the upper sections will more than likely be fine.

Montana is a great choice, and the Yellowstone area is probably the best place to go on your first visit to the state.

12. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Western Montana would be prettiest for a UK visitor, but if if you are looking to have a guided float trip, you may also want to consider a tailwater like the Bighorn River (fly into Billings, MT).
    There's not a day that goes by that I don't wonder how dreary this world would be if elk were bald and birds had no feathers.
    - Hank Patterson

Colorado isn't even mentioned. I love it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast