Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  94
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Time on the Water: How much and how do you manage it?

"...I gravitated toward teaching, and became a college professor. The best thing about this profession is June, July and August, plus numerous other holidays and time off opportunities."

I am a retired college professor too. I always thought the best part of my time as a teacher was when a student connected with something and mastered it. I found a remarkable amount of satisfaction from interacting with my students and listening to their ideas. I also felt that my teaching might make a difference in someone's life. I am truly sorry that your own teaching experience was highlighted by your days off.

2. Likes Meadowlark, coug, cpiercem liked this post

I was an exploration geologist, mostly gold but many other minerals and materials as well, I was a consultant/manager for 25 years. I eventually wouldn't take any jobs that were more than 2 hours from decent fishing or at least short jobs that took my past decent fishing. I fish less now but at least once a week and when weather and mood are are good maybe 4 or 5 times a week, many times for only a few hours. Life is good, I try not to make a job out of fishing. I am and was a fish bum.

4. Likes karstopo liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by brook rookie View Post
    ....I am a retired college professor too. I always thought the best part of my time as a teacher was when a student connected with something and mastered it. I found a remarkable amount of satisfaction from interacting with my students and listening to their ideas. I also felt that my teaching might make a difference in someone's life. I am truly sorry that your own teaching experience was highlighted by your days off.
    I became a college professor after I "retired" from the private world...and now teach strictly online classes. Although online classes don't offer as much interaction as face to face, the benefits you spoke of are still there including great satisfaction in making a difference.

Plus I can teach from anywhere I can get access to the 'net thus enabling travel for fishing trips. Its a great gig and I probably will never voluntarily retire from it.
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

6. Likes cpiercem liked this post

That is good. Teaching has so many rewards that go beyond the bank account. I am sure you bring a lot to your students with your real world background so you can give them concrete examples from your experience. You are completely correct that there is a sacrifice in financial rewards. To some extent I think the pensions are often a little more generous to compensate for that.

8. Likes cpiercem liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by brook rookie View Post
    "...I gravitated toward teaching, and became a college professor. The best thing about this profession is June, July and August, plus numerous other holidays and time off opportunities."

I am a retired college professor too. I always thought the best part of my time as a teacher was when a student connected with something and mastered it. I found a remarkable amount of satisfaction from interacting with my students and listening to their ideas. I also felt that my teaching might make a difference in someone's life. I am truly sorry that your own teaching experience was highlighted by your days off.
    Actually, I found my teaching very rewarding and I completely agree that helping students learn new things and applying them to their lives and profession was a primary reason I enjoyed college teaching. Perhaps what I should have said is that as a college professor I could control a great deal of my time in ways that enabled me to fish more when I wanted to, than say people in more structured work situations. I was motivated by that kind of freedom. Another thing I found out early is that while you have the summer off, with kids in college, mortgage payments to make and so forth, that it was often necessary to teach or consult during summer months. In short, the entire summer off thing for most teachers is in reality a myth. I believe I worked hard in my teaching and research, served a while as a department chair, and after 40 years of doing this I decided to move on. Would I do it all over again though? You bet. Best. SR

10. Likes cpiercem liked this post

I spent 20 years traveling in sales probably working 60 plus hours a week. Got overweight, only fished a little and probably drank to much. Moved to Montana 8 years ago, took a part-time job at a sporting goods store and now work 24 hours a week and fish a lot!!! Have started refereeing soccer and HS basketball to stay in shape and a little extra beer/gear money! Lost 60 pounds, hike 2 or 3 times a week to fish and have never looked back!
    flyfishingnwmontana.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

I'm retired after 40 years in the printing/graphic arts trade. My fishing time is on average 3-5 times per week. I'm Blessed to be in a region where I can fish Steelhead one day and Bluegills the next with everything else in between.

Retirement is everything it's cracked up to be. I no longer have the time to work.

Denny

13. Likes cpiercem, Bigfly liked this post

I can't believe all the years I wasted working.

15. Likes cpiercem, dennyk, Bigfly liked this post

I am fortunate to live in a place where great fishing is very accessible. To add to the faculty meeting I am a professor. My position is driven by research with little teaching making my schedule a bit more flexible. I will get away to fish lakes a few times each spring, but summer and fall are the ideal times for me. I have a 23' travel trailer that I live out of as soon as the first streams open in late-spring. I head up Monday or Tuesday and fish mornings and evenings, and write during the day. It is just perfect, out in the woods and no distractions. Forest service campgrounds are almost always near empty during the week. My spouse works M-Thurs, so she will head up Friday morning and we hike and explore together, then we both head out Sunday morning. I stock up again on Monday, check in with my grad students and staff, then head out again. I do this from June until streams warm in late-July or so. Steelhead start around the first of August. I have three major steelhead rivers that I can do in a day trip, and two that are less than an hour away, so usually get to work very early a couple of days a week and leave by 3 or so to fish a couple of runs before dark (7-8PM). Also go down at least one day during the weekend. Looking at retiring in a few years so we have started our search for places. No doubt keeping the house here for summer and fall, but would like to spend more time on the coast during winter. Spouse love the beach, and I want to be able to fish the winter runs.

I like the balance I have. My job is very rewarding, as I study issues that are current problems. I have been moving more into admin lately to facilitate undergraduate success at our university. As others have said, I really enjoy helping the undergrads, as well as my graduate students. I hope to help out with a NGO or other group aimed at steelhead and habitat conservation when I retire, as I want to maintain some balance.

17. Likes cpiercem liked this post
    Blog Entries

A friend of mine introduced me to his personal fishing challenge that has helped to motivate both of us to get out on the water even while being busy dealing with work, family, and the distractions of life.

The challenge is simple: try to get a picture of yourself with a fish you caught every month.

It sounds simple. And many months like fall and spring it is easy to get done. The beauty of this simple system is its flexible and attainable. It pushes me to set aside a little time for fishing even when life gets busy. The winter months can be the hardest to catch fish, and December is often the busiest month and most difficult to get out on the water. But I've benefitted a lot from being more deliberate about getting out on the water. Before this challenge, I found it too easy to let weeks go by without taking my rods out. Now I have a reason to try and find the time. So far, I haven't failed the challenge after a year and half of doing it. Here's hoping I'll be able to keep it going for years to come.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    If you don't like fishing, then you're not a good person.

19. Likes cpiercem liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast