Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  13
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Looking for a small stream CO trout rod

Quote Originally Posted by LimerickShaw View Post
    I was just looking at that one. I really want a 3 WT though because I already have a 5 so I don't necessarily see the need for a 4. If the 3 WT was 8' I think I would buy it 100%.
    For me, I'm kind of thinking I will be shelving my 5wt as this, while an inexpensive rod, is still, based on what I'm reading, a nicer rod. I am leaning towards 1 reel with 2 spools. 1 with a heavy 3 or standard 4 wt line and the other with heavy 4. It all just depends on if I can cast a heavy 4, what I plan to start with, delicately enough on short distances.
    "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

"There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

IMG_2089.jpg

Rod arrived yesterday and I picked up the reel and line on Friday. The fly shop I picked up the reel from wound 120 yds of white backing and the SF Frequency Boost line. Now I just need to try it out on some cold trout.

P.S. The cork is definitely not the prettiest but it will work fine for my needs.
    "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

"There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

3. Likes smoke33 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Check this out for a 4 piece 7'6" 3 weight, TFO Pro II fly rod, model #TF 03 76 4 P2. Also lifetime no fault warranty.

Pro II Fly Rods - Temple Fork Outfitters

Denny
    Last edited by dennyk; Yesterday at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    Check this out for a 4 piece 7'6" 3 weight, TFO Pro II fly rod, model #TF 03 76 4 P2. Also lifetime no fault warranty.

Pro II Fly Rods - Temple Fork Outfitters

Denny
    I've been eyeing this rod for a long time, although I've been contemplating the 8'6" over the 7'6". Do you have any experience with both? Are you recommending shorter just simply for the ease when fishing small brooks/creeks?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LimerickShaw View Post
    I've been eyeing this rod for a long time, although I've been contemplating the 8'6" over the 7'6". Do you have any experience with both? Are you recommending shorter just simply for the ease when fishing small brooks/creeks?
    Hi Limerick

I have cast this rod and used it for an afternoon of instruction, very nice handling rod. My personal rod is a 7'6" Scott Flex 3 weight which fits the bill for small stream fishing where I'm rarely casting over 25'. I would have recommended the Scott but it was more money than he wanted to spend. And yes I prefer the shorter rod for small creeks and brooks. I had fished an 8'6" glass Fenwick for small streams and for me the length was overkill and clumsy. I do like the TFO no questions asked warranty.

Denny

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123