Looking for a small stream CO trout rod

jb1023

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what to buy for a new setup. I want something for smaller streams in CO. I currently have a 9' 5wt but would like to find something a bit shorter and lighter for smaller streams and hiking. I am thinking 7-8' and 3-4wt in 4 piece would work nicely. As I am still a novice I want to keep the action at moderate-fast. I found the following in my search that look promising but thought I would ask the experts here first. Also, I am wanting to keep the rod price to $150 or less. I plan to use a Lamson Liquid 1.5 reel as the line holder as I really like the 2.0 I have on my 5wt.

Redington Classic Trout 7'6 - 3wt or 8'0 - 4wt

Cabelas Bighorn 7'6 - 3wt or 8'0 - 4wt

Cabelas Synch 7'6 - 3wt

TFO Lefty Kreh Finesse 7'9 - 4wt

I'm certainly not set on one of these necessarily, just would like to get opinions on these or anything that you think might fit the bill. I am also searching the used market if you know of something available.

I also looked at the Cabelas CGR Fiberglass but it is slow action and I'm not sure I'm ready for that (never even touched a slow before).

patrick62

Reaction score
I love the CGR 6 1/2 ft 4 wt for small streams. You'll get used to the slow action in no time.

I have an old Orvis 7 1/2 4 weight 2 piece that is a tip flex. That's probably the fastest rod I ever use on small water. Also the longest.

Reaction score
I've been loving the 8'6" 3wt Classic Trout that I picked up fall of last year. It's nice mix between some of my faster rods and the slower older glass rods that I have set up. If you are ever on the North side of Denver and want to cast it some, I'd gladly meet up with you.

hollisd

Reaction score
At your budget the only rod I would consider is the Fenwick Aetos 8’ #4 but I would try to reach for the 8’ 6” #4 Hardy Shadow. If you can wait and pick up a paper route a discounted G Loomis 8’ 8” NRX LP #3 would be a lifetime of joy.

Redbrook

Reaction score
I have the Redington Classic Trout 7'6 - 3wt and actually fish it with a true 4 weight line much of the time. It makes for easy short casts but still has enough punch left to pop it out longer if needed. You can't go wrong with this rod given it's history, price and warranty. Just a really good over all small stream rod that can handle many situations.

Reaction score
I have the CT 763 - great rod, will cast #8 wooly buggers with ease if needed.

As mentioned, price point is key - one of the best rods for the price and casting value is along side some very high end rods

I also fish a 763 Blue Halo Glass rod - different but still good.

wjlapier

Reaction score
I use an Aetos 8ft 4wt and fish most fo the time a smaller river. The ad above has a 8ft 4wt Aetos for $111--Might have to add another one for back up. think this is about as perfect a length and line weight for the river I fish--4wt just in case I hook one of those Bull trout or Steelhead that are in the river.

smoke33

Reaction score
I use an Aetos 8ft 4wt and fish most fo the time a smaller river. The ad above has a 8ft 4wt Aetos for $111--Might have to add another one for back up. think this is about as perfect a length and line weight for the river I fish--4wt just in case I hook one of those Bull trout or Steelhead that are in the river.
I just bought the 8 ft 4 wt from them. I was Leary but shipping was fast and no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scotty macfly

Reaction score
For just a bit more, $180ish, one of my favorite moderate fast rods is the TFO Pro II. The TFO Pro series is another you may want to try, but it's a little softer than the Pro II. I actually regret selling it, it was a blast to fish with. And besides, TFO has an incredible warranty and fast repairs. I have never broken a TFO, but I keep hearing you'll get your rod back within 10 days or so.

Another company that I like is a local Colorado company. Rods are a little more expensive, but this company is in Loveland, north of Denver about 35-40 miles.
I really like these rods, and will put them against any other rod at their price.
Rods – Elkhorn Fly Rod & Reel

jb1023

Reaction score
I just bought one of these in 4 wt. The reviews and feedback from others is the Aetos line is pretty good, especially for the price.
A703-4 AETOS 7' 4 PC 3wt FLY RO - Fenwick - 238747 - Outfitter Warehouse

Well, I don't know if it was peer pressure from some of you, reviews or what but I pulled the trigger on an 8' 4wt Aetos. It is about 6-12" longer than I was looking for I think at this price for what appears to be a really well made rod I am not exactly sacrificing. If I get it and don't like it I will either return it or sell it.

Found this write up and review to be quite informative and seems to be pretty unbiased.
2019 4-Weight Shootout - Yellowstone Angler

jb1023

Reaction score
As someone who loves creek fishing. I suggest a rod in the 7' to 7'6" range.

The CGR is a favorite and I owned the 7' 5wt for awhile. Yes, it's slow but I love bamboo too so slow works for me.

The Redington Classic Trout is another good choice.

Here's another choice but a bit over your price range.

The Drifter - 3wt 7'6" - Matte – Moonshine Rod Company
I really liked this companies rods but I just could not justify, in my head, $90 more. Should I need another rod I will be keeping this place in mind.

triggw

Reaction score
... I pulled the trigger on an 8' 4wt Aetos. It is about 6-12" longer than I was looking for ...
IMO, that's the right length for a small stream rod in Colorado. There's a good deal of disagreement about this, and you've heard from both camps, but rods under 8 feet lack the reach to get a good drift in the pockets that characterize our mountain streams. You can get close to these fish, and in most spots you don't cast so much as flip the fly into the spot using an abbreviated roll cast. Then you have to hold most of the line and leader off the water to get a good drift.

My personal rod for these streams is 8' 4", which I find about perfect. I've fished some 8 footers, and also find them OK, but I had a 7 1/2 ft Orvis Superfine for a while. It was just too limiting, so I sold it.

hollisd

Reaction score
Nice looking rig. Now that you have it setup, how does it feel when casting and what line did/will you put on it?
I'd go SA Trout taper for small streams. If you want the rod to load deeper and shoot more line later you can go MPX which is a half-size heavy but either would work on the 8' #4

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
I just bought the 8 ft 4 wt from them. I was Leary but shipping was fast and no issues.

I was just looking at that one. I really want a 3 WT though because I already have a 5 so I don't necessarily see the need for a 4. If the 3 WT was 8' I think I would buy it 100%.