Small Rod Recommendations needed

Tailwater

Reaction score
I will be buying a moderately priced two or three weight rod for small streams in the Blue Ridge Mountains. The order of the day there is short and light and I have the choices narrowed down to three rods. I would appreciate comments from folks who have used any of the following on small trout:

1. TFO Professional 7’6” 3 weight 4 piece
2. Echo Classic 6’6” 3 weight 4 piece
3. Elkhorn Traveler 6’ 2 weight 3 piece

Many thanks.

Stan

mojo

Reaction score
I will be buying a moderately priced two or three weight rod for small streams in the Blue Ridge Mountains. The order of the day there is short and light and I have the choices narrowed down to three rods. I would appreciate comments from folks who have used any of the following on small trout:

1. TFO Professional 7’6” 3 weight 4 piece
2. Echo Classic 6’6” 3 weight 4 piece
3. Elkhorn Traveler 6’ 2 weight 3 piece

Many thanks.

Stan
If you have your mind set on these three, I suggest you cast them all, side by side if possible and decide which one you like best. It's up to you and no one else.

ezamora

Reaction score
the longer 7-6 will allow for easier mending, something i find necessary on my own small mountain streams.

eric
fresno, ca.

ksbrowntrout2

Reaction score
I havent casted the elkhorn, but the TFO professional is way to stiff for a 3 weight. My personal choice would be the ECHO, 1) because it has a nice touch, and a good action. 2) ECHO has a great warrenty, comes with a rod tube and sock. 3) Tim Rajeff designed them, so they have to be good.

BUT as mojo said, you really should test all of the rods and make your own decision.

The ECHO would be my choice, but i dont think you should ever buy a rod without test casting it first.

pdq 5oh

Reaction score
I got the Echo you mentioned. It weighs 2.5 oz. I'm still looking for a reel light enough to balance it where I want. I have cast it with my Ross Rhythm 1, with 2 wt line (I got a deal). The reel is a bit heavy but, it feels pretty good when casting. The rod casts very well with the 2 wt line. A 4 wt line was too much. At 30 ft and in (2 wt line), it worked very well, for me. I could get out more line, but it was more of a chore. I expect it will cast a 3 wt line great. Overall I'm very pleased with this rod, given it's intended use. Fishing small streams for small trout. Is it spring yet? :icon_lol:
BTW, a friend got a TFO Finesse 1 wt. It's a very nice rod as well. They also make the Finesse in a 2 and 3 wt.

mojo

Reaction score
One other thing to think about after what Eric mentioned (7"6" for mending). A short 6', 6½" graphite rod is not that easily loaded on small streams. Another avenue would be 'glass if you want a shorter (6' or so)length. Diamondglass, Dave Redington's Southfork Rod Co., custom glass builders etc.

OldMan

Reaction score
Glass makes a perfect short rod for small streams. Tough to break too.

ezamora

Reaction score
yeah, when i said the 7'6" would be easier mending, i neglected ot mention i wasn't exactly recommending the 7-6 professional TFO. for small stream work, i would check out the TFO finesse in 7-7'9" size. more of a flex for small stream and small trout work, at least the style I like.

those echoes get a lot of positive feedback but i've never even seen one let alone cast or fish one.

now fiberglass... that's something i would look into. what's your idea of a "moderate" priced rod? you can buy a rod like a mcfarland, steffen bros, even lamiglas offers fiberglass fly rods which would work great for small trout and streams. and if you're not aware, the internet has not only brought out the bamboo aficionados, there is a burgeoning community of fiberglass fly rod fans as well. if you didn't want to buy a premade rod, you could join the community over at fiberglassflyrodders - Message Board - Yuku and perhaps hire one of those who wrap on fiberglass blanks to wrap one just for you. there are gatherings not only of bamboo fans but those who fish fiberglass and it might pay dividends to see if there's a gathering in your part of the world.

still, in the end, it's best to somehow test cast any rod you are considering for purchase.

eric
fresno, ca.

mojo

Reaction score
yeah, when i said the 7'6" would be easier mending, i neglected ot mention i wasn't exactly recommending the 7-6 professional TFO. for small stream work, i would check out the TFO finesse in 7-7'9" size. more of a flex for small stream and small trout work, at least the style I like.

those echoes get a lot of positive feedback but i've never even seen one let alone cast or fish one.

now fiberglass... that's something i would look into. what's your idea of a "moderate" priced rod? you can buy a rod like a mcfarland, steffen bros, even lamiglas offers fiberglass fly rods which would work great for small trout and streams. and if you're not aware, the internet has not only brought out the bamboo aficionados, there is a burgeoning community of fiberglass fly rod fans as well. if you didn't want to buy a premade rod, you could join the community over at fiberglassflyrodders - Message Board - Yuku and perhaps hire one of those who wrap on fiberglass blanks to wrap one just for you. there are gatherings not only of bamboo fans but those who fish fiberglass and it might pay dividends to see if there's a gathering in your part of the world.

still, in the end, it's best to somehow test cast any rod you are considering for purchase.

eric
fresno, ca.
Can I have Hallalueah brothers and sisters!

Tailwater

Reaction score
I posted a reply last night but it seems to have disappeared into the ether. Here goes again.

Many thanks for all of these notes. Perhaps my OP could have been clearer. My principal trout rod is a 20 year old hand made Powell 4 weight. My objective with this purchase is to get an ultralight setup primarily for use in the Shenendoah National Park where the casts are usually shorter than 30 feet (frequently from a crouch), and the streams often have low hanging canopy.

Harry Murray of Murray's Fly Shop in Edinburg, Virginia is the reigning guru on this type of fishing. He recommends and sells a 6'6" road that he developed with Scott. I just don't want to pay $600+ for a rod that will only be used a few times a year, and I think that the rods I have discussed will be more than adequate.

I would like to stay on the $100-$250 range. I like the $100 Echo for this reason, but the TFO is not far behind purely in terms of price.

I agree with the "cast before cash" sentiment expressed here but do not have a local source for Elkhorns. I have cast the other two and am leaning toward taking the Elkhorn off the list simply because I cannot get my hands on one. If I had to pick tonight, I probably would go with the Echo.

I would still love to hear more comments on these rods or any others that you folks think may fit the bill.

Thanks.

Stan

FrankB2

Reaction score
I usually enjoy reading Harry Murray's articles in the "Mid Atlantic Fly Fishing
Guide", but I'd have to ask what's so technical about the creeks you want
to fish that would require a 6'6" rod. Assuming you've fished there, what
were the shortcomings of your present 4wt rod? I have a couple of St. Croix
7'6" 4wts, and they can get into the tightest spots. They're also in the 2.6oz
range (Imperial and custom SCII). Recently, I've gone back to my 8'6" 4wts
for fishing brushy areas: they give me more reach past the branches, and
work better at dangling a leader and 4 feet of fly line. Have you looked at
John Geirach's "Fly Fishing Small Streams" : Amazon.com: Fly Fishing Small Streams: John Gierach: Books I've read enough of it to say it's pretty
good. Charles Meck has a good book on the topic as well: Amazon.com: Fishing Small Streams With a Fly Rod: Charles R. Meck: Books

FrankB2

Reaction score
BTW....if the overhang gets really tight, just use Lefty Kreh's technique
of using the top half of the rod. Never tried it myself, but Lefty always
recommends it.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
BTW....if the overhang gets really tight, just use Lefty Kreh's technique
of using the top half of the rod. Never tried it myself, but Lefty always
recommends it.
I think he just does that to show with proper technique, it's possible to hold a lot of line in the air with just the tip

I have 6 rods 7'6" or less. Two 7'6", one 7', two 6'6", and a 4'9"
I use the 6'6" rods all the time for small stream fishing (the real short rod is too short )
Anything longer just doesn't cut it in tight quarters where I fish

FrankB2

Reaction score
Hi Riptide, Lefty has advocated that practice in the "Mid Atlantic Fly Fishing
Guide", and also in his books. I wouldn't want to use that for more than a
few minutes (maybe longer if the fishing is good!), and would rather use a
shorter rod.....or machete :D

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Right you are Frank :redface:
From Advanced Fly Fishing Techniques
....if on a small stream you occasionally run into such a situation, you can reduce the rod's length by simply sliding the casting hand up near the butt guide; as soon as the cast is finished, slip the hand back on the rod handle to fish out the retrieve
Still, I like my little rods. Don't knock 'em 'till you've tried 'em :icon_bigg