Almont and Gunnison in May - What size rod?

hubby11

Reaction score
Hi, I am planning a trip to Gunnison/Almont to fish the Taylor and other rivers in the area. I have 3wt, 5wt and 7wt set-ups but both my 3wt and 5wts are two piece rods. So I need to pick up another rig that I can bring on the plane (like I need an excuse to buy another rod!). I could pick up another 5wt as a safe bet but was wondering if for Colorado in late May, maybe a 4wt or 6wt would serve me better. That way I would not necessarily be duplicating what I already have.

I know a lot depends on the rod since a lot of current models are over rated, requiring you to line-up, but in general, what size would best serve me on the Taylor and Gunnison in May?

Thanks,

old timer

Reaction score
When you say the Taylor. Do you mean up by the dam what we call the Hog Trough?

Picky fish that only want small nymphs and fairly small tippet. Could be up to 10lb fish. So, you need a rod to protect smaller tippet but have some butt to it to land big fish. Hard to catch them but harder to land them. C&R only, so the fish have been caught a lot and have gotten smart. They love to dive under the big boulders and break you off.

Fishing the lower Taylor is more normal fishing. Any 4-5wt will work.

osseous

Reaction score
A lot of anglers from other areas (east coast?) think of May as prime time for trout fishing. Unfortunately, in the Rockies, May means runoff time. Generally around the 15th of May we begin serious snow melt and rivers begin to discolor and rise. By Memorial Day, we are approaching peak- and that lasts well into June- sometimes in a big snow year like this one looks to be- even into early July.

That area is blessed with the Taylor tailwater. Its flow will be regulated, but it does drain a pretty big basin. It will be clear, and probably high flow. Fish are very large- a 5wt or 6wt for that time of year to fight the fish and current would be appropriate. There is no float fishing, and wading may be a challenge. The trophy section near the dam offers some of the largest trout in the state- if you can get at them. Mysis will be flushing thru the dam. Lower down features more fish, mostly medium sized browns. Evening caddis hatches can be fantastic. Watch for cows in the middle of the road!

If you intend to ignore the high flows and float (don't wade it if it's high) The Gunnison, a 6wt would be a good choice- or your 7wt. Articulated streamers can bring some very large fish.

Other options nearby would be the uncompagre south of Montrose (tailwater). Or the Gunnison East Portal section.

Flows are going to be a real challenge that time of year. High mountain lakes aren't free of ice yet, unfortunately. I would reach out to one of the local shops and ask for additional detailed info-

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

hubby11

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. The place I am staying is just a few houses down from Harmels. I was leaning towards a true 6wt, but will definitely reach out to the local shops at Three Rivers, Almont Anglers and Harmels. Was hoping to do some wading, already picked up a wading staff for safety, we'll see.

I

ikankecil

Over the years I've waved everything from a 3wt (dries) to an 8wt (streamers) on the Taylor and the Gunnison. If I could only pick one, I'd just pick a well rounded 5wt and tuck in an extra jacket, -that area can be cold, even when it's supposed to be warm.

osseous

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. The place I am staying is just a few houses down from Harmels. I was leaning towards a true 6wt, but will definitely reach out to the local shops at Three Rivers, Almont Anglers and Harmels. Was hoping to do some wading, already picked up a wading staff for safety, we'll see.
It's a beautiful area with plenty to do-

el jefe

Reaction score
in addition to a wading staff, at high flows a PFD is a good idea.

old timer

Reaction score
Even better advice.
I live on the Arkansas River. A good fishing flow is 200-400cfs. During runoff, it gets up to 3000cfs. 4-5 people are killed in the river every year. It seems the average person has no idea of the power water has.

old timer

Reaction score
They put mysis shimp in Taylor Reservoir to feed the trout. They didn't realize a lot of them would get through the dam and feed the trout living below the dam. That's why the trout are so big in that area. A steady flow of protein rich shrimp.

osseous

Reaction score
It also adds tremendous color and beauty to the fish. You can also find them in the Frying Pan and the Blue.

dubbn

Reaction score
I use a 3 wt, 11 foot nymphing rod (Syndicate) or a 9 foot 5wt (LOOP).

I really believe a TFO 5wt would be just gr ine for you.

corn fed fins

Reaction score
Depends on releases but, IMO, 8'6"/9' 5wt is best all around rod for CO. rivers. Everything below is superfluous.

Tailwater (CnR): First part of April usually sees the first step in flows followed by another in the 1st part in May. After that it just go up with no real regularity. Drought conditions last year have implemented mandatory water protocols through the entire Aspinall water unit so spring releases might be different this year. Do your homework.

May: it could be rocking and rolling as we are getting a good snowpack in the Taylor basin. It might be high but it will be clear. If the release is +300 5wt for sure in the CnR section. You'll need the backbone to keep a good fish from finding cover. No need for 6x in May. 5x for 125-300cfs; 4x +300cfs.. 6x is dead winter (<125cfs) Currently the flows are so low (50cfs, half normal!) the whole reason to go there is not there or so hit and miss you better live in Gunnsion or Crusted Butt.lol

If your drifting Almont down either 4 or 5wt. If your wading use the 5wt. Again you'll appreciate the backbone. The flows here must be added; East River and Taylor River . Again 5x, and 4x if the flows are good.

I'm up there over a dozen times a year and 18"-22" fish are not why I, we, make the trip. This last year was an exception due to drought and poor summer flows so I only fished the CnR once as I was driving through Gunnison; freaking crowded!

Most frequently(75%) 5wt with 5x, (20%)5wt 4x, followed by dead of winter's 4wt 6x(5%) unless the wind is blowing; and it gets to blowing on the Taylor, East and the upper Gunnsion. The difference here is the size of river; Taylor is "small". Not like you'll be needing to cast over 30'. 5wt is just fine. If your floating the upper Gunnison, have a 6wt just for your sanity.

DO NOT TRESPASS. I can almost promise you a ticket. I've been yelled at for being 2 steps across center of river.

Don't choose to be the guy that boasts using a 3wt with 6x. Sure you can land a +24" fish, especially after it gives up and planes to the bank; all I can say is brillant. I've seen this more times than I care to admit. Nothing worse than watching fish tumble through the hole your fishing because someone above doesn't get it and killed it with never knowing. Disgusting.

CnR...Do your homework. Read up and uderstand the behaviour of mysis shrimp. Not like there is some endless chain of them running down the river. Understand this is a high pressure fishery. Every fish is a trophy.

Gunnison. No different than any other cold water river of that size. Read up on hatches. Less chance of a "trophy" fish but lots more eager "large" fish.

CFF

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

el jefe

Reaction score
I live on the Arkansas River. A good fishing flow is 200-400cfs. During runoff, it gets up to 3000cfs. 4-5 people are killed in the river every year. It seems the average person has no idea of the power water has.
Then you live in God's country.

I crossed the river at Hecla Junction a few Septembers ago with a friend, and the river running at just over 400 cfs, and we used the buddy system to cross. There were sections of the river at those flows that I still wouldn't get near.

old timer

Reaction score
I'm 10 miles north of there. I'm in a good spot. I can get to a lot of waters, fish all day, and back home in a day. Taylor is just 30 min away. So. Platte, Frying Pan etc all close to do in one day.

osseous

Reaction score
I'm 10 miles north of there. I'm in a good spot. I can get to a lot of waters, fish all day, and back home in a day. Taylor is just 30 min away. So. Platte, Frying Pan etc all close to do in one day.
Did they get the pass finished?

old timer

Reaction score
Yes, the pass is done. They never opened it last year, so in a few months, i'll get to see it. I do a lot of fishing and elk hunting in Taylor Park and it will be nice to not have to deal with that pot holed dirt road anymore. Now that it's paved I should be able to get there faster too.

osseous

Reaction score
Yes, the pass is done. They never opened it last year, so in a few months, i'll get to see it. I do a lot of fishing and elk hunting in Taylor Park and it will be nice to not have to deal with that pot holed dirt road anymore. Now that it's paved I should be able to get there faster too.
I agree, but fear the added attention it will bring to such a special place...