Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  65
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Does size matter

I was talking to a friend recently about fishing in Northern Ontario. In particular one stream we’d both fished in the past. It is, hands down, my favorite place to fish on the planet. It has everything I like in a stream. It’s remote, doesn’t get many anglers(most days you will see no one), the scenery is beautiful, it’s a walk and wade stream, and it has fish.

Now a trophy for this particular stream might be 10 inches. Most are in the 6 - 8 inch range. Beautiful little Brookies but large they are not. And my friend doesn’t see the point of fishing it. Why go all that way for what he considers minnows. He’d much rather fight crowds on the Great Lakes tribs fishing for Steelhead and Salmon.

I can’t get my head wrapped around that. I for one have given up most Great Lakes angling because of the crowds and the crappy behaviour of the people fishing. When I picture fly fishing, it’s all about the experience of being out in nature, hopefully alone. Any fish at the end of the line is a bonus. Multiple fish during a day is a godsend.

But I’ve seen this attitude a fair bit. Size is everything. Even if it means fishing in locations where you are shoulder to shoulder. Need that big fish for a grip and grin photo to show the buddies.

I figured if big was what it was about I’d become a Largemouth Bass fisherman. Get me some shirts covered in sponsors names, a big boat that looks like a pimp mobile on water, and start hauling Hogs out and sticking them in everyone’s face that came by. Now that’s a fish son!

It’s like I tell my wife, it’s not the size, it’s the overall experience that counts. Small is preferable if the other parts of the package are good.

Default Re: Does size matter

Quote Originally Posted by rfb700 View Post
    I was talking to a friend recently about fishing in Northern Ontario. In particular one stream weíd both fished in the past. It is, hands down, my favorite place to fish on the planet. It has everything I like in a stream. Itís remote, doesnít get many anglers(most days you will see no one), the scenery is beautiful, itís a walk and wade stream, and it has fish.

Now a trophy for this particular stream might be 10 inches. Most are in the 6 - 8 inch range. Beautiful little Brookies but large they are not. And my friend doesnít see the point of fishing it. Why go all that way for what he considers minnows. Heíd much rather fight crowds on the Great Lakes tribs fishing for Steelhead and Salmon.

I canít get my head wrapped around that. I for one have given up most Great Lakes angling because of the crowds and the crappy behaviour of the people fishing. When I picture fly fishing, itís all about the experience of being out in nature, hopefully alone. Any fish at the end of the line is a bonus. Multiple fish during a day is a godsend.

But Iíve seen this attitude a fair bit. Size is everything. Even if it means fishing in locations where you are shoulder to shoulder. Need that big fish for a grip and grin photo to show the buddies.

I figured if big was what it was about Iíd become a Largemouth Bass fisherman. Get me some shirts covered in sponsors names, a big boat that looks like a pimp mobile on water, and start hauling Hogs out and sticking them in everyoneís face that came by. Now thatís a fish son!

Itís like I tell my wife, itís not the size, itís the overall experience that counts. Small is preferable if the other parts of the package are good.
    I'm with you.

#1 for me is the difficulty of the fishery and the fish I fool. If I catch any fish on surface feeding fish on Silver Creek, I am delighted regardless of size.

On my local streams a 10" brookie is a large fish and a 12" is a trophy. I feel great if I catch a 10" brookie OR if they are in a very difficult feeding lie. Here is an example. The fish is rising at the black arrow tip below.

This is one of my finest moments in finding a solution to catching a very difficult fish. The flow is from left to right and so the fish is facing and feeding facing upstream to the left.

I am behind a log across the river and I cannot get over it without spooking the fish. Even if I was able to get upstream of the fish, the sticks and logs in front of the prevents a cast to the fish from upstream. I cannot cast from downstream and get a fly above the fish to drift downstream to where the fish is rising.

My solution was to cast directly behind where the fish was rising at the circle below and hope for a reaction strike. I was hoping the fly would simulate a bug falling from a tree branch.

I was able to get a fly into that spot and the fish immediately turned a smashed the fly. This was the fish.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Those are two of my favourite opportunities, little specks and swung steelhead. I agree with you in that fishing for tiny specks in a gorgeous stream is one of the most blissful and relaxing experiences one can have. On the other hand I can see why someone wouldn't want to travel to Northern Ontario for 10" trout when they are widely distributed throughout the province and there is potential to find specks in the few pound or more range nearby. But if the scenery is that good then I totally understand.

I think it's a common misconception that all the great lakes rivers are crowded too. I, like you, aim to find solitude while fishing, and it's really not that hard, it just takes a but of walking and exploring. Most people are too lazy to walk even a few hundred meters from an access point. This past fall I spent countless days probing water and I could count on both hands how many anglers I crossed paths with.

Back to the point of does size matter. To those new to fishing or seeking to be the next instagram star it might. But for those who truly enjoy the challenge of the sport and the general experience size is just a bonus. My wife also concurs that size does not matter.
    Danny

4. Likes rfb700, hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by huronfly View Post

I think it's a common misconception that all the great lakes rivers are crowded too. I, like you, aim to find solitude while fishing, and it's really not that hard, it just takes a but of walking and exploring. Most people are too lazy to walk even a few hundred meters from an access point. This past fall I spent countless days probing water and I could count on both hands how many anglers I crossed paths with.
    For the sake of my argument they're all crowded like the Ganny. Does size matter

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

6. Likes huronfly liked this post

It doesn't matter squat what others think. Satisfy yourself if you want true happiness.

If I can see another fisherman when i'm fishing it's too crowded.

8. Likes rfb700, hairwing530, Nix liked this post

I'll take a smaller fish on a lightly fished river than a large fish with a crowd. Catching Steelhead on the Columbia or Snake with a crowd around is a mess. The two times I caught Steelhead on the Columbia and the Snake by myself was the most memorable fishing to date, but so are those days fishing another river by myself even though the fish are much smaller.

10. Likes rfb700, hairwing530 liked this post

I'm with you. Part of my joy of fly fishing is walking the stream. My partner complains about how far we walk. I finally figured out it's because I want to see what the stream looks like around the next bend.

For those who need to talk about size, there is big game fishing here. It's pretty boring. You ride around in a boat dragging lures.

12. Likes rfb700, hairwing530 liked this post

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.Ē --- Horace Kephart

14. Likes rfb700, hairwing530 liked this post

Depends on what I'm fishing for. I just enjoy fishing and the locations I end up in. If I'm fishing for bass I'd rather catch a 20 inch fish but I'm happy to catch smaller ones. There really aren't any wild brook trout streams around here. The only decent wild trout stream holds brown trout. I'll see people complaining on local boards that they only caught 7-8 inch browns on their trip to it. I'm happy with that size fish. I caught this fish in a lake in Vermont.

Grass Pickerel.jpg

All I knew at the time was it was a member of the Esox family. When I looked it up on line turned out it was a grass pickerel. Average size about 10 inches. This one is in the 7 to 8 inch range. To me its a trophy.
    "All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

16. Likes rfb700 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I think the stream mentioned in the OP sounds like fun. You go prepared to go after and enjoy the 6-8” fish and then when to 10” one comes to hand it’s like, wow, this is a real specimen on this stream!

I fish a lot of places repeatedly so I get to know what to expect on the size of the fish. For me, it’s always extra fun to get a fish that runs big for a particular place or type, even if the big is 10-12”.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

18. Likes rfb700 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast