Best 7wt Salty Reel for the Money??

sped

Reaction score
Sometimes I wanna buy a Tibor and call it good... for life....

Other times i want to buy a Chinese knock-off off of eBay and save hundreds (upon hundreds)....

I fish the salt all the time and I use my current 7wt reel for stripers and false albacore, but its just beat to heck. In April I am headed to the Bahamas for bones for the first time ever...

I want to buy a new reel that can handle them bones with ease and not break the bank.

Don't be afraid to suggest a Chinese knock off either.....i can easily be convinced.

Any suggestions?

AnglerX

Reaction score
The thing about saltwater reels is having a good drag. A bonefish or permit will burn out a cheap drag in no time.

I have some inexpensive reels I use for trout where I don't think they will get over 16" but I've always opted to spend the $ when going for saltwater set ups. Last thing I want is to go to Belize and have a reel explode on me when a bonefish, permit, or tarpon is peeling off line.

I've never used a Chinese designed and made reel but I've been to a lot of fishing shops in China. I always look at the fly fishing equipment though I've yet to buy one.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
You don't want to experience reel failure anywhere but in the Bahamas you can't have UPS send you out a replacement. You must have back up tackle. Now, I tend to believe that it is costly to fly to flats fishing destinations and a place not to save money is on tackle. I am inclined to fish reels like Nautilus, Hatch, Abel and Ross. However, you can have and eat your cake. American designed and Chinese built Allen Atlas and Korean built Taylor Revolution share design elements with some of the top US reels while lowering cost due to off-shore fabrication. Both employ strong quality control and are fine reels. Now, you are not just bringing your 7-weight to the Bahamas are you?

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
IMHO the best bang-for-your-buck remains Redington's 7/8 Behemoth.Great ergonomics,backing capacity (300 yards 50lb.Braid)and a better than 20lb.drag tick all the boxes.My only tip is to keep it out of the water as best you can as the drag housing isn't fully sealed.

sped

Reaction score
A few responses to your responses...

It's pretty difficult to find a used Abel or Tibor...there are currently none for sale on eBay.

No, Im not just bringing a 7 wt to the Bahamas.....I'm bringing a 5wt set-up as well as a 9 wt set-up....both have bullet proof drags. I'm also bringing a back up for everything. This is not important .....what i need is a bullet proof 7wt reel.

I get how you don't want to spend the dough to go all the way to the Bahamas to have your equipment fail, but sometimes i think that the Chinese or Korean knock-offs just might be awesome....and not fail.

Anything on the Allen Kraken?

Keep those responses coming! I'm loving it.

Dan

steveid

Reaction score
A smooth drag is far more important than one that hits 25+ pounds. I’ve never tested, but I’m guessing my drag is usually set less than 5 pounds while on the Flats.

I like Hatch. I have a Ross Evo R Salt as well. Although nice, it’s probably too light. I would look for a used, high-end reel.

mikew1959

Reaction score
A few responses to your responses...

It's pretty difficult to find a used Abel or Tibor...there are currently none for sale on eBay.

Dan
Your kidding right?
Don’t type in “Used” or Pre-Owned just Tibor or Abel
I got tired of looking at all of them.
And don’t buy into all that stupid marketing hype about high dollar sealed drags.

Do you have any idea how many thousands of fish have been caught on a Pflueger with no failures.

Somehow all those guys back in the 60s and 70s were able to get huge fish back to the boat without a $1000 reel.
Who the hell needs 20-25 pounds of drag!
An exposed/palming rim reel is way more fun than any reel with a knob on the back you just crank down.

Isn’t that what fly fishing is about feeling the fish in your hand?

Hell just put a bait caster reel on the end of it.
?

steveid

Reaction score
Another reason I suggest buying a high-end reel is because it’s your first trip. You’re going to get the itch to be out there again within six to eight months, and it’s going to be bad. You’ll eventually break down and find a way to get on the Flats again. Then you’re going to do it again and again. Having quality gear today will last you through the subsequent trips. Beyond that, I believe fishing is more enjoyable with quality equipment.

To mention it again, I would get a Hatch 7+. You could hang it on a 9 weight down the road when you decide you have to catch a Permit.

osseous

Reaction score
Used Abel, Tibor...or Islander

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I only have one season on my new reel but I don't fish only saltwater. I do fish for salmon and steelhead, they may not be as strong as whatever you'll get into with your travels but every now and then you get into some that require some tension applied via the reel. I bought a Sage Spectrum Max in the Squid Ink Color combo (if that matters) and can honestly say that it is the lightest - smoothest reel I've ever owned.

These are stock photos of one.

d71811a5-8e4b-4c1e-9bfe-12ec7e1947d0.jpg

8987f9b1-200b-4944-8462-ebaba3afb66d.jpg

They aren't what I'd call extremely affordable but I've spent more on a reel before. I'm so impressed that I plan to get another for one of my 11 1/2 foot Hardy Swift's. I'm pretty sure they are rated for fresh or saltwater use, maybe not pre owned on auction because they are relatively newly designed reels from Sage.

dynaflow

Reaction score
Ard,while it's a nice looking reel with the right dimensions,I'd want a lot more drag than 3.6lbs.for $500USD.A couple of reviewers even gave the drag 4 out 5 stars following a Bonefish trip with a 7/8.How do they work that out?
Cheers

dynaflow

Reaction score
This is 2019 not the sixties or earlier,and there are genuine sealed drag reels available...like Ross Evo R Salt,Abel SDS and Lamson Cobalt.Any of these reels will serve you well for life and require almost zero maintenance,and while a smooth drag is desirable you'll need more than five pounds of drag more often than you think.

karstopo

Reaction score
2014 Reel Shootout - Yellowstone Angler

“It seems crazy but a hot 6-8 lb. bonefish can break 14-16 lb. tippet if you are putting much more than a pound to a pound and a half of drag pressure on the fish - at least on that first smoking run”

“Then with the drag set at 3 lb., which is what we might set it for tarpon, putting a big hoop bend in the rod gave us 6 lb. of drag pressure.”

“The Hardy Fortuna did bust our Micron, so we had to resort to some 80lb Cortland backing. Still we couldn’t get the drag to hold past 17 pounds on the Hardy Fortuna X1, despite Hardy claims it will lift 32 lbs. Who cares? 17 lbs. of drag is still about three times more than you could ever need, even when fishing for billfish with 20 lb. class tippet.”

Excepts from the Yellowstone reel shootout.

The comments in the article jive with my experience. You want a pretty light drag setting to avoid busted tippets on fast running fish.

Don’t Touch Dat Drag | Fighting Bonefish Tip from Josie Sands

More perspective on drag settings and bonefish.

bonefish41

Reaction score
You asked "Best 7wt Salty Reel for the Money?? " not cheapest that will work for bonefish...plenty cheaps that will work keep the drag slightly more than overspin 1-2lb drag and palm as needed and well oiled/greased ...get two if one fails pitch it use the other... Check out ebay today Abel Bauer, Nautilus, Ross, Tibor used ...there are some 300 range...for new no need to buy knock offs ...Danielsson L5W direct from Sweden their online, factory site pricing suggests under 275 delivered

dennyk

Reaction score
I'll throw in my 2c-get a Hatch 7+ and don't look back. I use mine for carp, Great Lakes Steelhead and salmon-no problems.

Denny

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
No, Im not just bringing a 7 wt to the Bahamas.....I'm bringing a 5wt set-up as well as a 9 wt set-up....both have bullet proof drags. I'm also bringing a back up for everything. This is not important .....what i need is a bullet proof 7wt reel.

I get how you don't want to spend the dough to go all the way to the Bahamas to have your equipment fail, but sometimes i think that the Chinese or Korean knock-offs just might be awesome....and not fail.

Anything on the Allen Kraken?

Dan
Allen Kraken is not a knock-off, it is designed here and built there, not an imitation. We have two of them serving primarily as back-up, alternate line reels and they are fine. My only knock on them is I find their spool width wider than I like. For a little extra dough though I like the Atlas much better.

You do not need a 20+# drag for almost anything...OK, GTs. I've never measured but I presume my bonefishing drag is set around 4 or 5 pounds, just guessing. An exposed rim, now nearly universal, is crucial for added pressure during events like the fish bolting toward mangroves. And while true, fly fishing is a manual endeavor, a smooth drag saves fish's lives by bringing them to hand more quickly than simply palming, skills being equal. Releasing a too tired bonefish is simply feeding a shark.

It is true that back in the 1960-70's when flats fishing started to gain popularity that many fish, big fish, where caught using salmon size freshwater reels with no drags. Salt and boats took a big toll on these reels inspiring a few Florida types to get serious and built us the first cork disc, draw-bar reels, wedding cake Fin-Nors and Seamasters. My first bonefish reel was a Frank Catino, Florida built, Bonefish, a new style of draw-bar being the first to employ a fully machined frame. These reels were the progenitors of today's Abel Supers, Tibors and Islanders.

I continue to fish cork drag Abel's, Islanders and South African Magla draw-bars but have primarily gone over to the stacked, sealed drag reels with no failures to date. When I head to Florida in a few weeks my primary outfit will be a Stickman T8 mounted with a Ross Evo R/S and a no-stretch RIO line with hand built Fluoro leader. Totally modernized me.

flav

Reaction score
If you're looking for bang for your buck in a saltwater reel look at 3-Tand or Colton. Both are small comanies that make high quality reels primarily for satwater.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
I'll second the Redington Behemoth. I don't know if it is the "best" reel but for the money it is only $129. I have seen deals where they throw in a spare spool. It is fairly heavy though. I have one in 9 wt and don't see a need to ever buy something different, unless it falls apart or something (but I am a pretty budget-conscious buyer).

oncorhynchus

Reaction score
I am surprised nobody has mentioned Orvis Hydros SL. That was the best buy in the latest saltwater reel shootout.