Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Building Trout Leaders

One of my first fly fishing shows I attended was in Albany Oregon. My booth was right next to Joe Bradley. At the time, I had no idea he made these twisted leaders. We sold hundreds of leaders at that show. One reason, most guys that had rods at the show for test casting, had one of our leaders on it.

After each rod testing, customers would swing on by our booth and buy a leader or two. Long story short, Joe was not impressed. Now after all these years, Joe and I get a good laugh when we see each other. He still tries to get me to use his leaders. I did take one from him to test. It did cast ok, but it sparkled like a diamond necklace if the sun was out.

I have learned over the years. There are as many leader formulas, tapers, etc as there are fly fishers. Some guys like to tinker and test new leader systems, some guys use the same setup for a lifetime. No one answer is right for all.

If you have any questions pertaining to furled leaders, feel free to PM me or email me directly.

Products – Cutthroat Leader
    cutthroatfurledleaders@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    Furled leaders are made on a jig
    I've made twisted leaders in the dark, sitting at a camp ground picnic table.
    A jig just makes it easier- twisted=furled. I make mine hanging off my deck. The ladder stays in the garage.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

No need for long leaders here. I gave up tying mono leaders and now use a 6' furled leader with 3' of tippet tied to it. Simple.

4. Likes omas liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by old timer View Post
    No need for long leaders here. I gave up tying mono leaders and now use a 6' furled leader with 3' of tippet tied to it. Simple.

Now you tell me.......

(I just tied up a couple of 9'+ leaders, sweating over each and every blood knot.)
    Tight lines!

Try the same thing with a braided leader- maybe put one step down in the mono. You'll get less tangles when you snag on something, and they still give great turnover and drag free drifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Now you tell me.......

(I just tied up a couple of 9'+ leaders, sweating over each and every blood knot.)
    Nix, Keep it up, Blood Knots get easier to the point one can almost tie them in the near dark after some (years) of practice. I tied 3 Fluorcarbon redfish leaders yesterday making only one flawed Blood Knot. Fishing Montana we need a leader that turns over positively and presents articulately. Keep learning your leader craft.

8. Thanks Nix thanked for this post

Some fisherman panic at the thought of a blood knot. Think of it this way.

It's just two clinch knots back to back.

10. Likes omas liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Nix, Keep it up, Blood Knots get easier to the point one can almost tie them in the near dark after some (years) of practice. I tied 3 Fluorcarbon redfish leaders yesterday making only one flawed Blood Knot. Fishing Montana we need a leader that turns over positively and presents articulately. Keep learning your leader craft.
    I can only use overhand knots with the aid of a tool. Severe tremors in both hands make it impossible for me to tie a blood knot. Try tying one with someone holding your arms and shaking them.

Quote Originally Posted by jzim View Post
    I can only use overhand knots with the aid of a tool. Severe tremors in both hands make it impossible for me to tie a blood knot. Try tying one with someone holding your arms and shaking them.
    That's rough, man. Have you had any luck with any of the tools out there? How do you get around this challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by jzim View Post
    I'm empathic about your tremors. Knot craft definitely requires reasonable dexterity and eyesight. In your situation I would certainly recommend well designed TroutHunter's knotless tapered leaders.

I just completed mounting a new 9-weight line for next weeks fishing. This involved two reinforcing 15 turn Nail Knots at the line's welded loops, a 50 twist Bimini in the reel's backing doubled via a double Surgeon's Loop and a 10' all Fluoro leader with a 60# Perfection Looped butt tapered in numerous segments to a 4' 15# tippet. Lots of knots. All wound onto the reel and confirming my drag was set to Zero, I felt a sense of accomplishment and confidence as I slipped it into its neoprene case in preparation for packing. I consider the rigging crafting I perform at home a core and vital component of angling. When I actually set up and None-Slip Loop on a selected fly, I no longer have to give a thought to my outfit knowing it is optimally assembled to the best of my ability. Then I can focus on tide, wind, light and tailing redfish...and keep an eye open for a Manatee perhaps.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast