Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1

    Default Building Trout Leaders

    I looked up some trout leaders for a few upcoming trips this summer. This guide I will go with uses a 16' leader. In preparation for the trip I'd like to practice with some long leaders. The recipes I'm finding call for 10 sections!

    I'm not sure if I want to buy 10 spools of tippet.

    Can someone narrow down a few tried and true leader formulas to check out. Looking for between 14 and 16ft. 5 wt line throwing size 14-16 caddis.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Building Trout Leaders

    The last time I used a 16' leader was on Silver Creek. Technically it wasn't a 16' leader, it was a 12' leader with 4' of tippet. I used to tie my leaders with Maxima Chameleon as it is a pretty stiff line. I would not tie the entire leader with tippet material. Just my 2 cents.

  3. Likes mike_r liked this post
  4. #3

    Default Re: Building Trout Leaders

    Having just returned from New Zealand, where I was using leaders to 19', I can tell you that practicing is a VERY good idea. My practice helped immeasurably.

    Trout Hunter makes 14' leaders- you can add onto either end. They have long tippet sections- so adding to the butt with some Maxima would seem to be the easier path.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  5. #4

    Default Re: Building Trout Leaders

    brokeoff, Where are you fishing with this guide? My dry fly leaders for the Delaware, Missouri, Henry's Fork and Silver Creek are all 15 - 17' with 5' of tippet. I've written about what I do down under Lines if you wish to search some. My personal technique involves starting with an Orvis Braided Butt then building down from 0X to 5X. Hand knotted works too but not knotless extruded products.

  6. #5

    Default Re: Building Trout Leaders

    14' leaders, yikes!

    I'd be casting nothing but leader and maybe 6' of line on my home creek, or tight lining with 3 feet of leader inside the rod tip.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Q: How many turns on a whip finish? A: "Enough to cover your mistakes" - AK Best

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    quiet corner, ct
    Posts
    9,273

    Default Re: Building Trout Leaders

    For extra long leaders, I use the formula for a 12', 5x (9 sections) but extend the butt a bit for better turn-over, along with extra tippet length.
    Just buy the leader tie kit.
    I've hand tied all my own for 30 years and I would never go back
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

  8. Likes Ard, huronfly liked this post
  9. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Hudsonville, Michigan
    Posts
    1,715
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default Re: Building Trout Leaders

    I build my own leaders mostly for warm water applications. But when I need a long trout leader I'll start with my choice of 9' tapered leaders usually 3x or 4x and add to them from there. I add taper
    to the existing tapered leader down to 6x, normally just 2 sections, 5x and then 6x.

    Denny

  10. #8

    Default Re: Building Trout Leaders

    Quote Originally Posted by brokeoff View Post
    I looked up some trout leaders for a few upcoming trips this summer. This guide I will go with uses a 16' leader. In preparation for the trip I'd like to practice with some long leaders. The recipes I'm finding call for 10 sections!

    Can someone narrow down a few tried and true leader formulas to check out. Looking for between 14 and 16ft. 5 wt line throwing size 14-16 caddis.
    Quote Originally Posted by osseous View Post
    Having just returned from New Zealand, where I was using leaders to 19', I can tell you that practicing is a VERY good idea. My practice helped immeasurably.

    Trout Hunter makes 14' leaders- you can add onto either end. They have long tippet sections- so adding to the butt with some Maxima would seem to be the easier path.
    I agree with ^^^^

    This would be the easiest solution.

    Buy the Rene Harrop 14' leader in the tippet sizes you need and also buy the appropriate X sized tippet spools of Trout Hunters Tippet that you will need.

    TroutHunter Rene Harrop Signature Leaders - 14 ft - TroutHunter - Island Park, ID

    TroutHunter EVO Nylon Tippet - TroutHunter - Island Park, ID

    Call the shop 208-558-9900 and tell them that you also need to buy some butt material to make the leaders longer. Ask them what size and brand of mono to buy to extend the leader. If they don't know, ask what the diameter of the butt section is. Then use Maxima Chameleon that matches the diameter: (20 lb =0.017" diameter), (25 lb = 0.020" diameter), (30 lb = 0.022" diameter) and (40 lb = 0.024").

    Here's another method by Louis Cahill of Gink and Gasoline

    Tying Extra-Long Fly Leaders That Actually Turn Over | Fly Fishing | Gink and Gasoline | How to Fly Fish | Trout Fishing | Fly Tying | Fly Fishing Blog

    As to how to fish with a leader that long, it is likely that when you fish dry flies or "film flies," one of the casts you will using is the downstream parachute cast/mend. I explain the technique here.

    Fish up or down stream?

    The greased line technique is explained here for fishing flies just under the film:

    Limestone creeks and weeds
    Regards,

    Silver



    "Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

  11. Likes dennyk liked this post
  12. #9

    Default Re: Building Trout Leaders

    It is true that the TroutHunter knotless tapered leader is superior to normal store bought extruded products and I too recommend their new EVO tippet material along with a few others. Nevertheless, unless one has an aversion to assembling a kit and building his own with Blood Knots, hand built turn over better and are fine tunable by varying the mid taper's sectional lengths. I would, despite conventual wisdom from the good old days, dispense with antiquated and inaccurately rated Maxima and employ a modern copolymer material like RIO Powerflex starting with .021" (40#) for a 5-weight butt of some 4' in length and tapering down to 0X where I would convert over to TroutHunter EVO or RIO Powerflex Plus.

    This is what I do with my 6-weight outfits but for #'s 4 and 5 I preferer the Orvis Braid (Medium) or Cutthroat NYLON (not thread) Furl then again build down form 0X to the long tippet. The Braid or Furl have fare less memory and suitable mass to transfer energy from the cast line to tippet. This of course is most relevant for larger technical waters than small streams and is less relevant for sunk nymphing.

  13. #10

    Default Re: Building Trout Leaders

    Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    It is true that the TroutHunter knotless tapered leader is superior to normal store bought extruded products and I too recommend their new EVO tippet material along with a few others. Nevertheless, unless one has an aversion to assembling a kit and building his own with Blood Knots, hand built turn over better and are fine tunable by varying the mid taper's sectional lengths. I would, despite conventual wisdom from the good old days, dispense with antiquated and inaccurately rated Maxima and employ a modern copolymer material like RIO Powerflex starting with .021" (40#) for a 5-weight butt of some 4' in length and tapering down to 0X where I would convert over to TroutHunter EVO or RIO Powerflex Plus.

    This is what I do with my 6-weight outfits but for #'s 4 and 5 I preferer the Orvis Braid (Medium) or Cutthroat NYLON (not thread) Furl then again build down form 0X to the long tippet. The Braid or Furl have fare less memory and suitable mass to transfer energy from the cast line to tippet. This of course is most relevant for larger technical waters than small streams and is less relevant for sunk nymphing.
    I agree- it's definitely a better solution to have the ability to build a custom taper with high end material...if it's going to become your goto. But you're looking at a significant investment. For a one-off solution, a $20 bill will more than get you there with the Trouthunter and still get the job done... and you'll have enough left over for a cold one to celebrate your catch.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  14. Likes Ard liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Building leaders for GTs and Bonefish
    By smp005 in forum Saltwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-10-2017, 04:23 PM
  2. Tutorial for Building Leaders
    By ash13brook in forum Fly Fishing How To's
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-18-2016, 11:23 PM
  3. myobangling87 needs help building leaders!
    By myobangling87 in forum Fly Fishing How To's
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-26-2015, 10:41 AM
  4. Building Streamer Leaders
    By bmbailes in forum Fly Fishing How To's
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-18-2014, 10:01 AM
  5. building leaders
    By muppetmullet81 in forum Warmwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-19-2013, 01:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •