Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  11

Default A Fine Scottish Salmon River Video.

Hi, folks. In the absence of a 'World Fly Fishing' sub-forum I thought I'd post this here in the hope you enjoy it.

It's a promotional video for the River Thurso in N.E. Scotland, a river which has been bucking the general decline in salmon numbers elsewhere in the country.
    I thought it was nicely shot and summed up the appeal of fly fishing for Atlantic salmon in Scotland well. I hope you enjoy it - and that I get to cast a line there one day!

Btw., I live at the very north of the long island to the left on the map at the start.

2. Thanks Masteri, dennyk thanked for this post
    Likes brownbass, Ard, kevind62, gillage, moucheur2003 liked this post
    Farmington, ill. -Stop by for a cold beer on your way thru
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A Fine Scottish Salmon River Video.

Lewis, beautiful video

My list is long and Scotland is definitely on it. Would love to see more posts like these.

kev

4. Likes Ard, Lewis Chessman liked this post
    Blog Entries

Lewis, I have always wondered about stream access in the UK. I see from your post that you live close but hope to someday fish where the video was taken. Can you educate me on the opportunities for your average Joe with finding places to fish in the Uk. Is it all private access and the need to belong to a club or thru an outfitter? I think we are really lucky here in the States with access but would love to hear the way it works across the pond.

Best, Kevin
    Last edited by k_e_v; 03-10-2019 at 06:12 PM.

Hi, K_e_v, I'm happy to elaborate.

I think it's reasonably fair to divide Scottish salmon (and sea trout) fishing into two categories - Association Water and Private Water.

Private Water probably describes the vast majority of Scottish migratory fishing. It means that the Riparian (sporting) rights on a stretch of water or a loch are privately held and permission must be gained and, usually, a fee paid, for the right to fish legally for a day, a week, a month, etc.
    This is often obtained from local tackle shops, post offices, estate offices, etc. as commissioned, and varies in price according to the perceived value of the water at that time of year (Spring is often far cheaper than Summer - bigger fish but fewer!). However, prime times on prime beats can be 'dead men's shoes' as new opportunities to the better dates will be offered to regular clients first. Still, depending on budget and expectation - and helpful weather - a good days fishing on 'Estate Water' can be had from 30-odd pounds per rod per day in early season, to upwards of 450 in July for the same beat. Same water, more fish likely, nicer weather = More Cost. Often, though, one must book by the week, in advance, not knowing if you'll face a heatwave and drought, a torrential downpour and unfishable river or .... perfect water ....

Association Water is a different kettle of trout, however. Very often, the land-owning estate on a river will lease the first few miles (from the sea) of both banks to the nearest town's Angling Association, open to all. This has been a really positive move by many estates in Scotland over the past 20 years, greatly reducing poaching by making fair angling available to all at moderate cost. In High Summer the Grantown-on-Spey Angling Association charged 65 per day, they do all season. Glorious Tulchan, 6 miles downstream, the haunt of kings, costs 35 a day in March, but 450 + tax in July ....
    But Tulchan is Special, the huts are nicer than my home and each 2 mile beat is limited to 6 rods .... Association Water isn't limited, nor always fly-only.

So, you pays your money, you takes your choice. There are 10 per day rivers/25 per season (all-comers welcome) where I live which, on the right day can give you three salmon and a couple of sea trout - if the conditions are right (spate rivers can be tricky things!). If not, hit the trout for free. (Lewis Only. Other Places may Get Sniffy!). I guess that for the visiting angler it's pretty daunting working out what's what here?

I've said before that if I can help any NAFFF organise a fishing trip here, whatever your budget, I'm happy to try - and I'm happy to say it again, mainly because no one yet has.
    Seriously, though, I'll help and I know the UKFFF members will too, if asked.

Kev, it may look like I'm not far from the Thurso on that map, but that's a 2 1/2 hour ferry trip and a three hour drive, so not 'down the road' by British standards.
    Nevertheless, I may yet get there ..... Who knows what joys are in store in this life?
    Save those pennies and come.

7. Thanks k_e_v thanked for this post
    Likes dennyk, moucheur2003 liked this post
    Blog Entries

That all seems in line to me James. While there is in fact a great deal of public access fishing available in most of America if an angler wants the best chance for a banner day it isn't always free. The best water on many western rivers is often accessed via drift boat and if you want to fish as opposed to rowing you'll be hiring a boat. The boat will come with a Guide and $450 a day is probably low for some spots. Even when you hire a guide & boat there are no limitations on how many other boats both guided and private anglers will be sharing the river with your boat. The same holds true in Alaska, the quality fishing costs money. The upscale fishing in Alaska can cost a person $6,600 for a five day stay and of course that doesn't include your air fares and gratuities. So how do they say? Different courses different horses

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

9. Likes Lewis Chessman liked this post
    Blog Entries

Thanks James, that makes perfect sense. The wife has been wanting a trip to Ireland for 30 years, I might have to accommodate her with a few slight trip modifications.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

kevin

Cheers, guys. Yes, it's 'horses for courses', as we say, depending on how deep your pockets/severe your affliction.

From memory, when I was in the States & Canada I had to buy an annual licence for each province - sometimes a pricier 'visitor's licence', too. Still worth the $ but added up it must have been a pretty penny for a week or so's fishing in each locale over two months!
    No regrets, mind.
    Oh. There was also extra dosh spent to step on Native American land by the Deschutes. Aye .... it all adds up, doesn't it?

Perhaps worth mentioning that in England and Wales you must hold the correct Environment Agency fresh water rod licence (Coarse/Migratory Game/Non-Mig. Game) before you even consider buying your permit. You can guess which is the most expensive, I'm sure. Each is available as Day, Week or Year, as required, on line or from a post office.

Not so in Scotland where we have no licence but a permit is usually required. However, there are thousands of trout lochs free for the asking - you just need to know who to ask.
    Ireland and N. Ireland are different again, but outwith my ken, I'm afraid.

k_e_v, we've a fair few Irishmen on the UK sister forums, the Salmon Fishing Forum and (UK) FFF. If your Irish trip happens I'm sure they'll give good advice. Some great fly fishing history and tradition over there, I'd love to visit one day .... One day ....

I know that there are some guides here who would charge a few hundred pounds a day but a gillie (same thing in unbranded clothes! ) can often be had for 100, incl. tip. and will row you around a loch all day for that. We're not so highly valued as your professionals are, I'm sorry to say. But we don't have overheads like boat maintenance, transport & pick up like some of your boys do, as river drift fishing over distances is not at all common here.

Get making those dreams into reality, Kev. I'm sure your wife deserves it! In fact, I'm certain. Book Now!

12. Thanks k_e_v thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

Thanks James-great video!

Hope you get to fish there soon!

Denny

14. Thanks Lewis Chessman thanked for this post

Someday Lewis......someday.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

16. Likes Lewis Chessman liked this post

Great video...Thanks for sharing James